Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2022, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #886
Pentaxian

The FA 50/1.7 went out the other day and I'm glad to see the back of it as one of the few lenses I lost money on. Bought before the DAL 50/1.8 came along, prices for AF fast fifties were much higher. My elder daughter knocked it and a camera onto the floor once and I had to have it repaired, the repair didn't last long but the pandemic had hit and I couldn't take it back for them to complete the job. Despite phoning and being told they'd honour the guarantee for the work until after free movement was restored, they did not, so I had to pay twice for the same repair. That lens is the closest I've come to a photographic money pit.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-13-2022 at 02:24 AM.
07-17-2022, 09:36 AM   #887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I started gathering money on GRIII I already packed my DA 35mm Macro. While it is great macro lens, I never really used it too much for macro photography as I expected to do, I think I like longer lenses on minimal focusing distance for flowers then close up 35.

Aaaand now I am down to 4 lenses
08-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've moved a DFA 100mm Macro and a silver DA 70mm Limited on to new homes. I didn't use the 100mm as much as I thought I would and the DA 70 is a duplicate (it was more of a vanity purchase to go with my silver KP when I think back about it) so I decided that I didn't really need them after all.

I'm having a long hard think about what I really want (and need) in lenses so I may whittle my DA Limited collection down a bit more and find I can just get by with a few zooms. But it will be hard because the DA's seem like they were just made for the KP.
08-14-2022, 05:19 AM   #889
Pentaxian

I replaced my Joby gorilla pod 3K with a 5K and 5K ball head. The 3K was worn out and loose, and not strong enough for my kit. I use this when backpacking with my KP and Pentax 18-135 lens. Next to go will be the cheap Davis and Sanford tripod for a more sturdy one.

08-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I packed up and shipped off a K1000 with a couple of lenses, I was fortunate to be given a working MX (with a few battle scars) and I much prefer the smaller form factor. There are a couple bulkier cameras I am willing to carry around (K1 is a prime example) because they offer something on top of other cameras, but the K1000 doesn't compare favorably for walking around.
08-17-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #891
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my A*85/1.4 the other day.
08-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #892
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I sold my A*85/1.4 the other day.
ouch.... dude...

08-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #893
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ouch.... dude...
I thought about it long and hard and concluded that the 77 would suffice for those times when the DFA*85/1.4 wouldn't.
It went to a good home and made another forum member happy.
08-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #894
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I thought about it long and hard and concluded that the 77 would suffice for those times when the DFA*85/1.4 wouldn't.
It went to a good home and made another forum member happy.

understood.... but having both the A*85 and the 77Limited.....

delicious....
08-18-2022, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #895
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ouch.... dude...
I was thinking the same.... selling a highly regarded classic would hurt too much, surely
08-18-2022, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #896
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I was thinking the same.... selling a highly regarded classic would hurt too much, surely
I did think long and hard.....
08-18-2022, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #897
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote

I sold off two other 85's to buy the A* 85/1.4.... then sold off the DA70 Limited for the FA 77 Limited....

them's mine....
08-18-2022, 06:15 AM - 4 Likes   #898
Pentaxian

Not a de-acquisition but a very close call.

We are away from home from the summer and some neighbours are checking on the flat for us every couple of days. My wife got a call from them to say that something had tripped the circuit breakers and the freezer had been without power for a couple of days (in Madrid summer heat) and that all the food had thawed, so they'd thrown it all in the bin.

Once I got the gist of the conversation from listening to one side of it I tapped my wife on the shoulder and said "they haven't thrown out all my film, have they?". A check was done and the film I had in the freezer was recovered from the bin. Phew!

I was quite surprised as he is a hobbyist photographer too, though as far as I know he doesn't use film, but still, film is quite obviously film and not food. I would have lost my last two pro-packs of 400H along with my remaining original Acros, both of which are now discontinued, not to mention all the other stuff I've got in there.
08-18-2022, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #899
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Not a de-acquisition but a very close call.

We are away from home from the summer and some neighbours are checking on the flat for us every couple of days. My wife got a call from them to say that something had tripped the circuit breakers and the freezer had been without power for a couple of days (in Madrid summer heat) and that all the food had thawed, so they'd thrown it all in the bin.

Once I got the gist of the conversation from listening to one side of it I tapped my wife on the shoulder and said "they haven't thrown out all my film, have they?". A check was done and the film I had in the freezer was recovered from the bin. Phew!

I was quite surprised as he is a hobbyist photographer too, though as far as I know he doesn't use film, but still, film is quite obviously film and not food. I would have lost my last two pro-packs of 400H along with my remaining original Acros, both of which are now discontinued, not to mention all the other stuff I've got in there.
TL;DR

film is film and not food ...
08-19-2022, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just sold my 645D. It was a great camera but I'm moving on.