Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I recently got rid of 80% of my broken cameras. I had held onto them thinking some I'd like to fix some one day, but broken film cameras are everywhere and I have plenty of fully-functioning ones, it's unlikely I would have done anything with them.

Apart from that, I sold my DAL 35/2.4, which had been advertised for ages. I bought it new at a very good price but even then I made a small loss on it. Still, good to get rid of it finally.
Just did that with my broken cameras, I had multiple Mamiya 500DTLs and a 1000DTL, along with a Kowa which all had some level of jammed, broken or really dirty components that I have zero reason to hang onto.

11-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #602
Veteran Member

"De-acquisition" is perhaps a grandiose for sending a recently acquired flash to the e-recycling. Got a Minolta Maxxum 3200i flash as part of a lot I bought from an auction site. I bought the other flashes to use off camera with my Pentax stuff and Nikon DSLR but this crazy flash has some weird proprietary foot.
11-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #603
Veteran Member

I picked up an a6000 body earlier this year as a second camera for video shoots. While I really enjoyed the camera for photography, the 1080p resolution and lack of picture profiles limited it’s usefulness to me with my a7iii, so I just let it go. On the plus side, I added an a6400 that fills all the voids I found with the a6000.
11-03-2020, 05:15 AM   #604
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Binned a couple of camera cases that came in with job lots over the weekend and stank of fungus. The lenses aren't much better, unfortunately. Also gave three camcorders to my nearest charity shop.

11-12-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #605
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I bought a used HD 16-85WR a few months ago, my DA 20-40 Limited became a lens cabinet queen. A forum member posted a wanted ad, and viola, the lens is now on its way to a new owner.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
11-13-2020, 05:01 AM   #606
Pentaxian

I met a young guy(friend of a mates son) who happened to be carrying a Contax rangefinder G some number.

Anyway I mentioned i had a number of old film cameras and ended up deciding to give them to him.

He mentioned he had a K1000 a while ago.So knows Pentax.

Ive only found 4,the other half dozen are hiding somewhere.
11-13-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #607
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one Ricoh Rikenon XR 35mm f2.8, shipping out today...

11-15-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A brave PF member has agreed to accept a couple of semi-functional Praktica bodies and lenses from me.

Chris
11-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Were those given away on another site? I think I was intrigued by the offer but decided not to ask as I have too much camera stuff around for my wife’s liking. It was nice that you offered them up.
11-18-2020, 02:36 AM   #610
Pentaxian

Yesterday I sold the P30N I'd had for sale for ages. It went to a young lady whose P30T (which she used with an A 50/2) had developed a problem and she was looking for a replacement.
11-18-2020, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Deacquisition of a rental

I rented a car from Hertz and got the worst dog of a vehicle I have ever experienced in the modern era. I am posting photos to help everyone avoid this thing if ever it should cross your path. It is called Jeep Compass, but I have nicknamed it the Jeep Compost. It hardly accelerates at all, but the engine makes a tremendous buzzing sound when you attempt to accelerate. It has a feature similar to the Toyota Prius which turns off the engine when you stop at a red light then automatically starts up again when you are ready to go. With my Prius, the start up from a stop is silent and seamless, but with the Compost the startup is loud, rough, and delayed. In addition, even with its apparently tiny engine, gas mileage claimed for this size vehicle is terrible, around 20 in town and around 30 on the road. I have not measured the gas mileage myself, but the fuel indicator needle is moving down at an alarming rate after driving fewer than 50 miles total. The reviewer I read says the vehicle is experiencing higher than usual mechanical and electrical repairs.

I did a little on-line research, and find that the Compost is powered by a 2.5 liter engine, and that 180 hp is claimed for it. Then how can it be so slow? The only answer I can find is that the Compost is really heavy for a small SUV, well over 4,000 pounds!

On the positive side, it is an attractive looking vehicle inside and out with nice features such as a large center screen, on-screen backup view, etc.

It is a de-acquisition only in the sense that I will ask for a different vehicle if I renew for a second week, but if I had rented it initially for longer than one week, I would surely have returned it in favor of a Camry or something similar.

There is a dead giveaway on this vehicle if you are looking for U-tube reviews. The first one that popped up was entitled: "The Worst SUV that Only Stupid People Buy."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
There is a dead giveaway on this vehicle if you are looking for U-tube reviews. The first one that popped up was entitled: "The Worst SUV that Only Stupid People Buy."
In the Philippines the name is pronounced "JIP"
11-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
In the Philippines the name is pronounced "JIP"
I encounter lots of interesting pronunciations since my wife if a filipina, but few of these other pronunciations seem as appropriate as the one you mention.
11-18-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #614
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I rented a car from Hertz and got the worst dog of a vehicle I have ever experienced in the modern era. I am posting photos to help everyone avoid this thing if ever it should cross your path. It is called Jeep Compass, but I have nicknamed it the Jeep Compost. It hardly accelerates at all, but the engine makes a tremendous buzzing sound when you attempt to accelerate. It has a feature similar to the Toyota Prius which turns off the engine when you stop at a red light then automatically starts up again when you are ready to go. With my Prius, the start up from a stop is silent and seamless, but with the Compost the startup is loud, rough, and delayed. In addition, even with its apparently tiny engine, gas mileage claimed for this size vehicle is terrible, around 20 in town and around 30 on the road. I have not measured the gas mileage myself, but the fuel indicator needle is moving down at an alarming rate after driving fewer than 50 miles total. The reviewer I read says the vehicle is experiencing higher than usual mechanical and electrical repairs.

I did a little on-line research, and find that the Compost is powered by a 2.5 liter engine, and that 180 hp is claimed for it. Then how can it be so slow? The only answer I can find is that the Compost is really heavy for a small SUV, well over 4,000 pounds!

On the positive side, it is an attractive looking vehicle inside and out with nice features such as a large center screen, on-screen backup view, etc.

It is a de-acquisition only in the sense that I will ask for a different vehicle if I renew for a second week, but if I had rented it initially for longer than one week, I would surely have returned it in favor of a Camry or something similar.

I was considering the Compass Trailhawk when I was looking for a new car. The Ford Focus I had before had notorious drivetrain problems and a known faulty transmission. I had to have the tranny replaced twice and the third one was on it's way out. I was deciding between the Trailhawk, '17 Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport or a Volkswagen Tiguan. I ended up getting the Escape and I'm very happy with it.
11-18-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #615
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I was considering the Compass Trailhawk when I was looking for a new car. The Ford Focus I had before had notorious drivetrain problems and a known faulty transmission. I had to have the tranny replaced twice and the third one was on it's way out. I was deciding between the Trailhawk, '17 Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport or a Volkswagen Tiguan. I ended up getting the Escape and I'm very happy with it.
I'm glad you got the Ford Escape and escaped the Jeep Compost. :>)