Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 02:25 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It Rained In Houston The Other Day and ...

... up popped the mushrooms.

Please do not think I am making light of our disaster. I am not. But when things get a bit tough you have to keep a positive outlook and sense of humor.

Harvey - called a 1,000 Year Storm - has wreaked havoc with some two-thirds of the Texas Gulf Coast from Corpus Christi to the Louisiana border. From the air Houston looks like a a huge version of Venice with many communities where every street is flooded. I have lived here almost 37 years, and I have never seen anything like this. The city that opened up its doors to New Orleans after Katrina now needs some help itself. I hope your favorite charity will be involved in Houston's post-storm recovery.

Yes, it rained and rained and rained, and then rained some more - a year's worth of rain in five short days.

AggieMom and I were extremely fortunate. Our sub-division experienced some street flooding but I know of no homes that have been flooded. However flooding has occurred to homes just a mile away.

For a little bit more about our own experience with Harvey, you are welcome to visit my blog at Travels With Linda. This in not a photography blog. I write this primarily as a way to keep in touch with family and friends around the country. But I welcome all visitors.

09-02-2017, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank goodness you and your family are safe. My prayers go to those who lost family, homes and belongings. We are beginning to get a little rain from the storm, but I'm sure it won't amount to much.

Your mushrooms look cool
09-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am glad you are ok. I cannot imagine what your neighbors have dealt with. Stay safe.
09-03-2017, 02:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear that you are doing OK. Mushrooms are ok if you had no damage.

Harris County much of it being Houston had over one trillion US gals of rainfall. 1,000,000,000 GALS!

What follows next is one Pico-billion mosquitoes. We need help.

RONC

09-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Glad to hear that you are doing OK. Mushrooms are ok if you had no damage.

Harris County much of it being Houston had over one trillion US gals of rainfall. 1,000,000,000 GALS!

What follows next is one Pico-billion mosquitoes. We need help.

RONC
1,000,000,000 GALS!

This morning's headline in the Houston Chronicle reads, "Fifty-one inches", which is close to 2 inches above our yearly average. I just hope we don't get a year's worth of mosquitos in five days (maybe that would be your pico-billion).

All told, Harvey has wreaked havoc on two-thirds of the Texas Gulf Coast - from the hurricane winds and storm surge the ruined Rockport to the diluvial floods of Houston and Port Arthur. They are calling it a One Thousand Year Storm.

The newspaper is full of stories of how social media saved the day for so many people. These are wonderful stories of folks helping and saving each other. Though I have been using desktop computers since 1981, I am a social media luddite. Maybe it is time I got on board.
09-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Glad you're OK... my sister and her family (safe and dry also) live out towards Katy... on the west side of the George Bush Park... there were a few anxious days here.