Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wedding togs....

A friend of mine has asked me to take the photos at a wedding. I've never shot weddings before, not even paid serious attention to portraits. I'm limited to 2 decent lenses, Sigmas 17-70 and 100-300 and my flash isn't that hot either.

I could probably afford a new lens or a flash head but not both. I was hoping to get some pocket wizards in the next couple of months anyhoo. I'm wondering if anyone here could give me some real advice to make this work?

TIA
Krissy

08-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

There are a couple of good threads going on this forum with lots of good advice:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/32340-pentax-w...os-doinem.html

One of the members here pointed me to this a long while back, but it has some great pointers and is a good place to start:

Wedding Photography - 21 Tips for for Amateur Wedding Photographers

My advice would be, have back-ups for at least the body (beg, borrow, rent, steal, or buy and sell it later on), and preferably a couple of good flashes as well. Bring more memory cards than you think you will need, and bring more batteries than you think you will need. Keep it simple on the event day, you don't want to be messing around with radio triggers on your first wedding....

They are very challenging but a lot of fun and quite rewarding if it goes well. Do the legwork ahead of time and nobody will know it's your first time....
08-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Kris,

Your Sigma 17 - 70 is a wonderful lens, and should work perfectly for a wedding. As long as your close enough, and your not dealing with a low light situation.

Even the Pentax Pop-Up flashes work great, as fill in flash. Which might be all that you need.

Please don't tell anyone around my place this, but I love shooting weddings.
They're always different, and you get to meet so many interesting people at them.

If you do a good job you'll get another one out of it.
I got 2 jobs out of my last one, both of which will be a hoot.

Have fun with it, and you'll do Pentax Proud
08-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you do a good job you'll get another one out of it.
And if she does a bad job Bridezilla will never speak to her again.

08-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
rofl Mike.... you're a font of wisdom today

I don't know the bride

Thanks much Ben & Stu. I will look at those threads at earliest convienience. Am planing to go to the area of the wedding on Tuesday to check stuff out. Am hoping to meet the bride then cause I have some ideas I want to throw at her