Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Damn Brit

Bucket List

After seeing Dave's thread; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/35294-white-water-rafting.html it got me thinking about that movie "Bucket List".

Do any of you Pentaxians out there have a 'Bucket List'? and if so how many items have you crossed off?

I haven't finished mine yet but I've been working on it. WW rafting is on there, scuba diving also, I've been on an introductory dive so I've achieved it but I had to cancel my certification recently because of my back.

I crossed another one off last week, I had an MRI. Yeah I know that sounds weird but I've been wanting to go in one of those machines ever since I saw 'The Exorcist' when it first came out in the 70's.

Wonder what WendyB's is or maybe the script hasn't been written yet.
Ignore that last comment if you want, it just slipped out.

Gary

08-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's funny you should mention that - I do indeed have a bucket list Here's is what I have crossed off :

Sky Dive - did that once about 10 years ago would do it again (kids now want to try)

Scuba Dive - The kids I got Padi certified last year (wife not a big fan of boats and underwater haha - but loves the beach !) - went to Mexico and had 6 dives (4 were for certification , two actual dives) - Love it - going back this year for at least 2 - 4 more dives

White Water Rafting - this is the 4th time I have gone and will go again next year (Fortunate to live about a 6 hour drive from one of the best rivers in the world)

Zip Line - did that this year same trip longest was 500 meters over the kicking horse river was a blast

Ones left on the list

Night / Cave Scuba diving - need a bunch more courses and dives may not get time.

Bungi Jumping - this one has me a little worried now that I damn close to 50 - I could surive the thirll I am worried about my bones on the jolt haha that one may remain on the list but I think I will do it. (and like you Gary I have had back issues off and on last several years)

Base Jumping - on the list not sure I will get it crossed off

Travel - Austraila #1 on the list , Europe (I was in Sweden for three days don't really count that was a work thing) , France - I was actuallly born in France left at 6 months old, Alaska , China are tops.

Bunch of other family type stuff - give my daughter away at her wedding, grandkids , great grand kids etc ...

Those are few off the top of my head I don't think a bucket list is ever finished .

Last edited by daacon; 08-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.
08-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Let's keep it to 10 for comfort (and some of us are getting on a bit.

So far I have;

Scuba Diving - sort of.

Swimming with sharks - done.

WW Rafting - not done.

Marry the girl of my dreams - done (second time around)

Alaska - not done

Jamaica - no, she went of her own accord. - not done.

Become a parent - working on adoption.

Thailand - hoping to adopt from Thailand so will kill two birds etc. hopefully.

Highest cable car in the world - done (Chamonix - France)

MRI - done

Loads more but I'm keeping it to 10, if I do them all, I'll start a new one.
08-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pretty much sums it up:

Source: huang on deviantART

08-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

haha ftpadict I assume 2 of three have been accomplished numerous times , good to have a plan though
08-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Pretty much sums it up:

Source: huang on deviantART
Nice to see you setting your sights high.
08-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gary swimming with Sharks sounds cool, may have to consider that one. I may swim with the dolphins next year not quite the same (but at Xel-Ha you get propelled by two dolphins so that sounds cool - kids did it last year - might be the wife's and my turn this year ..)

Best of luck with the adoption ! I got lucky first time around married the girl of my dreams

08-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There's a lot of things i haven't tried yet and i don't need a list to remind me LOL

Excellent movie though
08-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Gary swimming with Sharks sounds cool, may have to consider that one. I may swim with the dolphins next year not quite the same (but at Xel-Ha you get propelled by two dolphins so that sounds cool - kids did it last year - might be the wife's and my turn this year ..)

Best of luck with the adoption ! I got lucky first time around married the girl of my dreams
The only place to go swimming with dolphins is on Moorea in French Polynesia. There's a biologist there who takes you out in a boat and finds a pod of wild dolphins and........ if conditions are ok, you get to swim with them. Unfortunately we were there on the wrong days. I personally wouldn't swim with captive dolphins. I had a chance to on Moorea, the hotel we stayed in had captive dolphins and in fact, they were right next to our bungalow. I had us moved because it broke my heart to walk past them all the time. Luckily they moved us next to the turtle sanctuary.
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

They are trianed dolphins , and can't really say how they are treated appeared appeared very healthy and happy but I am not a biologist so wtf do I know.

We will have to agree to disagree here but I can totally see your point.
08-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The only place to go swimming with dolphins is on Moorea in French Polynesia. There's a biologist there who takes you out in a boat and finds a pod of wild dolphins and........ if conditions are ok, you get to swim with them. Unfortunately we were there on the wrong days. I personally wouldn't swim with captive dolphins. I had a chance to on Moorea, the hotel we stayed in had captive dolphins and in fact, they were right next to our bungalow. I had us moved because it broke my heart to walk past them all the time. Luckily they moved us next to the turtle sanctuary.
If you put a visit to New Zealand on your list you can do most of the other things when you get here. We have swimming with dolphins, whale watching, ww rafting, black water rafting (highly recommended), diving, skydiving, bungi jumping and whatever other action sports you want to do. Skiing in the morning and diving, flyfishing or big game fishing in the afternoon.
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's a good question...most of mine are travel-related--in no particular order...

1. Get good enough at my photography hobby so that my travel pics will rival those found in National Geographic. I'm working on that...
2. Travel to almost anywhere in the world...British Isles, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, India, Canada. I'm pretty open.
3. Closer to home--more specifically, take a trip west and hit up the great National Parks of the US and Canada.
4. White river rafting, definitely.
5. Go on one of those Windjammer Barefoot Cruises.

That's about all I can think of for right now.

Heather
08-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For myself, I'm not really into water sports, although I'm sure I'd enjoy swimming with dolphins. My number 1 priority, when I was younger (a long time ago), was to earn my "wings". So, at 14 got enrolled in the Air Cadets (an organization sponsored by the Canadian Army), and learned to fly gliders at 16, then power planes at 17. Went around France on bicycles at 19 with a bunch of friends (amazing trip). Went to fly gliders in France at 21 (another high point). Bought my plane at 39 and still love flying. What do I do when I'm not flying? Photography is very high on the list. Well, that bucket is rather empty right now, but I'm sure I'll find something else to put in eventually.
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hmmm.. gotta think about this.

Scuba Dive - Although I've been there/done that (I used to live on Guam and logged over 100 openwater, deep, night, and wreck dives, even encountered some sharks on a couple of them - it was incredible), it's been several years since I've breathed canned air. I miss it so doing more diving is definately on my list.

White Water Rafting - Been down the Ocoee River twice, would love to go again - and do some other rivers too. I also like canoeing and kayaking so add doing more of that to my list.

Snow ski. I tried water skiing but when I tried getting up on the skis I somehow ended up getting flipped forward hard and doing a face plant in the water... not fun.

Travel - Definately Alaska (we're planning a cruise there for our 25th anniversary). I'd also like to revisit some of the states as an adult that I went to as a child with my parents, then visit the states that I haven't seen yet. The US has some beautiful places to see and fun things to do. Oh, visit the UK and France since that's my herigate, the Holy Land, and go back to Guam too.

I'd like to try flying a plane. I don't think I could get a license (eyesight isn't good enough) but doing one of the "try it" flights would be fun.

I concur with HWBLANKS on this one... I'd like to be able to become good enough at photography so that the shots I take are comparable to those in National Geographic and other popular publications.

Get a college degree. I'm probably too old for a degree to do me any real good career wise, but at least I could say I got one and besides, it never hurts to learn things. I've even thought it could maybe be in photography.

Family stuff - always good to have on a list. My immediate and extended family is great.

MRI – done that, UGG, don't want to do it again.
08-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's funny you should mention that - I do indeed have a bucket list Here's is what I have crossed off :

Sky Dive - did that once about 10 years ago would do it again (kids now want to try)

Scuba Dive - The kids I got Padi certified last year (wife not a big fan of boats and underwater haha - but loves the beach !) - went to Mexico and had 6 dives (4 were for certification , two actual dives) - Love it - going back this year for at least 2 - 4 more dives

White Water Rafting - this is the 4th time I have gone and will go again next year (Fortunate to live about a 6 hour drive from one of the best rivers in the world)

Zip Line - did that this year same trip longest was 500 meters over the kicking horse river was a blast

Ones left on the list

Night / Cave Scuba diving - need a bunch more courses and dives may not get time.

Bungi Jumping - this one has me a little worried now that I damn close to 50 - I could surive the thirll I am worried about my bones on the jolt haha that one may remain on the list but I think I will do it. (and like you Gary I have had back issues off and on last several years)

Base Jumping - on the list not sure I will get it crossed off

Travel - Austraila #1 on the list , Europe (I was in Sweden for three days don't really count that was a work thing) , France - I was actuallly born in France left at 6 months old, Alaska , China are tops.

Bunch of other family type stuff - give my daughter away at her wedding, grandkids , great grand kids etc ...

Those are few off the top of my head I don't think a bucket list is ever finished .

Great set on the list

Coming to Australia you and yours will be warmly welcomed(if in southern summer dont forget to slip slop slap)as to your white water adventure plenty of the same here as well

cheers