Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Users?

My wife's iPad (actually my original iPad 2) is dying. I've been running an iPad Air 2 since 2015. Best Buy had the new 64gb iPad Pro 12.9-inch model on sale at a $100 discount. So I picked one up for her. I was a bit concerned about the weight, given she has some arthritis. But the weight wasn't a problem. The size was. She feels it's much to big for her. Okay, fine.

I offered to exchange it for either a 10.5-inch iPad Pro or even a base 9.7-inch iPad. She says my current iPad Air 2 (which works fine) would be enough and that I should either keep the 12.9-inch iPad or exchange it for what I want.

So my question is, is anyone here using the 12.9-inch iPad? Any thoughts? How does the size work out in real life?

I currently do all of my photo and digital editing on the my 2012 iMac (which, surprisingly, works fine after five years - thank the i7 chip and 8gb of RAM). The word is that the iPad Pro is now as powerful as Apple's MacBook Pro laptops and that photo editing is now much more feasible, especially with the larger screen real estate.

Of course, that would probably mean swapping the 64gb model for at least the 256gb model. It's funny, my iMac has a full terrabyte of storage. But, even with 10-thousand photos and 8-thousand songs in my iTunes library, I have used up only about 190gb on the hard drive.

I like the idea of a 12.9-inch screen on an iPad... but I can still do my editing on my iMac. Perhaps I should swap out the larger iPad Pro for the 10.5-inch model with more storage - just to have a better iPad - and leave it at that.

Or I could max out an iPad Pro with the 12.9-inch screen for the inevitable day when the iMac goes. Specing a new iMac an i7 chip, 16gb of ram and either a fusion drive or SSD ain't cheap these days. I can't do it for amywhere near the price I did in 2012.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited by Biro; 09-30-2017 at 07:11 AM.
09-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the iPad Pro is pretty impressive, it's not a desktop replacement....yet. I've been using a 4th generation iPad for 4 1/2 years and I've loved it. Mine has 64GB of storage so I've never had limits on uploading large amounts of photos during vacations and still had room for a couple of downloaded movies for plane travel. My iPad just got dropped with the latest IOS version and is forever stuck with IOS 10 so I'm also looking at replacement in the future.

Apart from the size difference, I don't think there is any difference in capability between the 12.9 and the 10.5 with the newest models. I think that will be an ergonomic choice. As for storage, I have terabytes of photos on external drives so my tablet will always be for temporary storage. There are some photos I keep permanently on my iPad. Family photos and stuff I like to show. My normal use is is to upload my shot at motorcycle races, rallies, car shows, events, etc to show people immediately. The iPad with it's retina screen is awesome for that.

For editing, I still prefer my desktop when I get home. The tablet version of Lightroom is still crippled compared to the desktop. The pen capability on the Pro is potentially a good feature. I use a Wacom tablet with my Mac. I say potentially because I haven't used it. A lot of the multi tasking features the Pro offers are things I won't be using. Aside from doing basic editing when on the road, I mostly just use my iPad for media consumption. A tablet will never replace my 24 inch monitor so I can't see myself replacing my desktop with an IPad. I'm using a Mac Mini with a 24 inch LG IPS monitor and I'm quite happy overall. It runs LR and Photoshop without any problems and the only slow part is the initial start up due to it's slow 5400rpm hard drive. I won't upgrade my Mac as long as what I have is doing the job. My next iPad will continue to be used as my last one was. If I had to make the choice of only one device, I would buy a 13 inch Macbook Pro with an external monitor. Also consider your wife. Would it work with the 2 of you sharing a single iPad? It wouldn't in my house.
10-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the decision was made. I took the 12.9-inch iPad Pro back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a 10.5-inch version. My wife gets my iPad Air 2. I think I may have indeed been onto something in terms of the larger screen being better for reading small print and editing photos.

But I don't think I was going to use either for photo editing (at least not consistently) or as a laptop replacement - another thing the 12.9-inch version would be great for (with more storage than I had).

I'm going to use it as an iPad and for that the 10.5-inch version is much better - at least for me. Even a friend of mine who is built like an NFL linebacker had the 12.9 and swapped it for the 10.5. If he thinks it's too big for general tablet use then there's got to be something to it.