Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 02:36 AM - 7 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
The best drill bit is a sharp one.
Was it Bob the builder who said "sharpness is a bourgeois concept"?
I want drill bits with character.

10-11-2017, 02:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Dartmoor Dave

get rid of that new style piece of junk

go back to basics

you won't have to waste time with electrical power.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.fBG5rX__oFHr2vdY-tKxNAEsEs&w=197&h=197&c=...r=1.25
Attached Images

10-11-2017, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Sandy; cordless is the way to go. Have you seen how the market share for the clunky drills with cords is plummeting?!

Poor battery life, you say? Well, what would you do if there's a power outage with your cord bound drill?!!! And bringing some extra batteries is no problem anyway.
10-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm with Sandy; cordless is the way to go. Have you seen how the market share for the clunky drills with cords is plummeting?!

Poor battery life, you say? Well, what would you do if there's a power outage with your cord bound drill?!!! And bringing some extra batteries is no problem anyway.
I’m trying to drill out a broken bolt. I read some where that it is better to use reverse bits for that. I bought some but my old corded drill only drills right (clockwise) and the reverse bits don’t seem to work. Has any one had this problem? BTW I thought about drilling from the bottom but can’t get the drill in there. I know you recommend cordless but I don’t have the cash. The only models near my price range are from Horable Freight and they have very mixed reviews. What I’d really like is to be able to make my current equipment work.
Thanks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Andy

10-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Was it Bob the builder who said "sharpness is a bourgeois concept"?
I want drill bits with character.
character and a bit of flash
full manual but petite and easily carried
discreet but not boring
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
10-11-2017, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy123 Quote
I’m trying to drill out a broken bolt. I read some where that it is better to use reverse bits for that. I bought some but my old corded drill only drills right (clockwise) and the reverse bits don’t seem to work. Has any one had this problem? BTW I thought about drilling from the bottom but can’t get the drill in there. I know you recommend cordless but I don’t have the cash. The only models near my price range are from Horable Freight and they have very mixed reviews. What I’d really like is to be able to make my current equipment work.
Thanks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Andy
In your case I would go for a pneumatic drill. If there's not enough space, well, you can easily remedy that.
10-11-2017, 04:09 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the thread is getting off topic.

For the OP, I'd recommend a 3-bit travel kit, which would serve you well at home and also at the job site. I'd say a 3/32" titanium, a 1/4" high-speed steel for general purpose, and a 3/4" or even 1" spade. I know guys who build entire houses with that kit, and make decent money.

If you're an enthusiast driller, maybe add a fourth bit to fill in between the 1/4 and 3/4.

If you're really intent on only one bit, get the best you can afford. Stay away from old, vintage bits - they're not nearly as sharp as the modern ones with the special hardened coatings.

Also, try to avoid the SDM bits (Soft Drill Machined) - I've heard they have a high breakage rate (but the manufacturer isn't admitting that it's a design issue).

10-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I have an interchangeable drill. What is the best bit? I like my standard/phillips tip alot but my 1/8th inch drill bit is nice. The 1/16th ones are so eloquent but they break so easy.
Anyway It is an interchangeable drill but i want only one bit to use on it so which should i use. Mind you i have over 100 bits for it.
Oh, and if you think you're funny: who makes "good" drill bits ? « Singletrack Forum

10-11-2017, 04:14 AM - 4 Likes   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hear that vague descriptions of three new drillbits are on the Philips roadmap. Let's argue about them, sight unseen, for forty pages!
10-11-2017, 04:31 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
three new drillbits are on the Philips roadmap
But those bits have been on the roadmap since before the takeover. Maybe they'll pre-announce at Toolkina 2019.
10-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
But those bits have been on the roadmap since before the takeover. Maybe they'll pre-announce at Toolkina 2019.
Yes, but I'd feel so much better about myself if AsahiMan could just drop in and give us a hint ... are they for concrete or just plywood?

10-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, but I'd feel so much better about myself if AsahiMan could just drop in and give us a hint ... are they for concrete or just plywood?
What does it matter if they're just plastic mock-ups anyway?
10-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I have an interchangeable drill. What is the best bit? I like my standard/phillips tip alot but my 1/8th inch drill bit is nice. The 1/16th ones are so eloquent but they break so easy.
Anyway It is an interchangeable drill but i want only one bit to use on it so which should i use. Mind you i have over 100 bits for it.
Over 100 bits? Serious case of
BBA.
10-11-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Over 100 bits? Serious case of
BBA.
Nah. I have more torx bits alone than that.

Just to add my two bits.
10-11-2017, 06:46 AM - 4 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

One thing I have learned - if you are using your drill (of whatever make) to put further holes in your dog's collar, first remove the collar from the dog. Very few dogs have an on-off switch that works, or indeed a volume control. Use equipment wisely.