Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have heard the same thing and find the reports quite alarming. Given that I frequently carry extra bits in my pocket for extended periods of time, I am wondering if I should have mine tested. Does anyone know of an inexpensive testing service?

Steve
If you can now read the Wall Street Journal by the glow emitted from your genitalia, see a doctor!

Last edited by clackers; 10-12-2017 at 12:22 PM.
10-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Indeed, I would expect that if you have carried radioactive drill bits in your pockets for extended periods, then your actual bits might be radioactive too by now! Poor Steve!
One man's "bit" is another man's "poison"
10-12-2017, 12:21 PM - 3 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

About 25 years or so ago, I bought my last drill. Before that I had drills that lasted about 5 years, than usually I would see wisps of smoke coming out of the drill's ventilation slats. The drills would stop dead in their tracks sometimes.

So I went to a company that sold to consumers, but mostly sold to contractors, builders, carpenters, locksmiths. In other words guys who earn their living using power tools and can't afford any down time. I told the slaes associate my drill problems.

He suggested a Black & Decker drill. I said no, no way...I've had some of that brand, they keep breaking down. He asked me what kind of B&D did I have. He said those are consumer drills you pick up at big box stores, usually greatly discounted. I said yes.

He said you get what you pay for and that the Black & Decker line also has industrial class drills which are pro drills and are used by carpenters, etc. So I picked up a corded B&D Industrial 3/8 th inch drill.

In the quarter century I've used it, it has done everything I've asked, Never once smoked, stopped...just drilled away. No job too big or hard. This is a fine piece of heavy duty equipment.

Lesson learned...you get what you pay for. Never been a problem. A pleasure to use.

I paid $ 126 CAD 25 or so years ago. My consumer drills previous to this..cost me around $ 35 CAD, back then. I probably would of been through about 5-6 consumer drills in that time period. According to my primitive math skills, I've saved money with my Industrial level drill.

B& D bought out DeWalt a number of years ago. I understand that the Industrial quality drills they make now, are DeWalt branded.

I know...I know...this thread is satire...so I've reread my post...and find it hilarious......in addition to being informative.
10-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #94
Pentaxian

W.r.t. B&D and Dewalt:

I also have a very old (c early 1990s) B&D "Alligator" electric tenon saw which was great for sawing through all sorts of things (tree trunks included), and then "B&D" decided to withdraw most of the blade-type options - leaving just one "general purpose" (ITW not much use for anything!) blade. At about the same time the Dewalt version of the Alligator came on the market with a much wider range of blades, including the ones I needed, but they could only be fitted if you fitted the mounting hardware from the Dewalt version, which I did. Unfortunately that meant that there is a LOT more vibration because the blades are longer and heavier than the B&W ones, and the old body cannot "cope" with them and I find it very hard to use much anymore What a shame .

10-12-2017, 12:51 PM - 3 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You don't need an electronic stud finder with those magnetic tipped bits that pic up screws so fast because you can spray and pray. Just flood over the wall in post.
10-12-2017, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
As for myself, I'm thinking of moving to the one of those newish clutchless drills with Electronic Stud Finder (ESF), because I read that the new finder design can actually protect you from drill bit radioactivity. And those drills are so small! I do understand that many around here are quite attached to the traditional Stud Finder experience though...
If we highjack this thread to discuss our Stud Finder experiences i believe it would make for lively conversation...
10-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gumbee Quote
If we highjack this thread to discuss our Stud Finder experiences i believe it would make for lively conversation...
Then, maybe, you shouldn't hijack the conversation

PS: if you want to discuss "other things" then start an appropriate thread.

10-12-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I know...I know...this thread is satire...so I've reread my post...and find it hilarious......in addition to being informative.
I think we're after entertainment rather than information, Les, but you told it with such gumption it belongs!
10-12-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #99
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ha! They have edges, and the twist come from good old fashioned muscle power! It was good enough for my great-to-the-umpteenth-grandpa, it's good enough for me!!!

I've used flint and steel to start a fire

a match works better

so there

---------- Post added 10-12-17 at 17:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think we're after entertainment rather than information, Les, but you told it with such gumption it belongs!
is that good entertainment and/or good info

may be I should delete my posts??
10-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some 30 years back I went to one of those home fair type markets with people selling all kinds of "home improvement" stuff.

There was one fellow there who sold drill bits. He demonstrated the bits by showing how they could drill through nearly anything. For the demonstration he drilled through concrete, glass and a hardened steel file. I bought one in the size I needed for some concrete fixings, 19mm. (Give or take 3/4 inch)

Having drilled countless holes over the 30 years since, that drill bit is still as sharp as the day I bought it. It drills through concrete with rebar in it as if the rebar does not exist. I have no idea what it's made of.
10-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
He said you get what you pay for and that the Black & Decker line also has industrial class drills which are pro drills and are used by carpenters, etc. So I picked up a corded B&D Industrial 3/8 th inch drill.
I still have one of those black B&D`s in the garage. It held up very well over the years, does suffer from a dry-rotted power cord but it is from the 80`s...
10-12-2017, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some 30 years back I went to one of those home fair type markets with people selling all kinds of "home improvement" stuff.

There was one fellow there who sold drill bits. He demonstrated the bits by showing how they could drill through nearly anything. For the demonstration he drilled through concrete, glass, and a hardened steel file. I bought one in the size I needed for some concrete fixings, 19mm. (Give or take 3/4 inch)

Having drilled countless holes over the 30 years since, that drill bit is still as sharp as the day I bought it. It drills through concrete with rebar in it as if the rebar does not exist. I have no idea what it's made of.
That`s Alien tech. right there. I`d be careful who I told!
10-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That`s Alien tech. right there. I`d be careful who I told!
Alien tech! I like it.

I wish I could afford the set at the time - As it is I only bought the size I needed.
10-12-2017, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have heard the same thing and find the reports quite alarming. Given that I frequently carry extra bits in my pocket for extended periods of time, I am wondering if I should have mine tested. Does anyone know of an inexpensive testing service?

Steve
You can just microwave them for ten minutes or so and the radioactivity is neutralized.

(for those discussing actual drilling, Stanley bought Black and Decker which bought DeWalt. While I have a couple of Stanley planes made in 1899 that are still great, I don't think that says anything for the company today.)
10-12-2017, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

There was one fellow there who sold drill bits. He demonstrated the bits by showing how they could drill through nearly anything. For the demonstration he drilled through concrete, glass and a hardened steel file. I bought one in the size I needed for some concrete fixings, 19mm. (Give or take 3/4 inch)

Probably a ccD bit. They have a certain sharp hole rendering a CMOS bit just can’t match. Too bad that other Asian cheap steel ruined those great Korean ccD bit makers. My first bit set was a K10ccD set that I’ve kept. There are only 10 bits, and It has has no real market value, but it is the best drill bit set ever.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.