Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I know this is about bits but there is always the push to upgrade the drill.
There is the age-old argument about which is better to upgrade; many people believe drills come and go but legacy bits are forever. There is always some excitement to chucking up a new bit, especially if going from flint to say, stainless, and seeing if the hole is up to snuff, however. If it puts a smile on your face, you made the right choice.

10-17-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Isn't there a good drill cheap bit vs a cheap drill good bit on you tube? Drillgital Rev must have done one.
10-17-2017, 06:19 PM - 4 Likes   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Did you know that titanium shavings are highly flammable?
There are plenty of metals that are pyrophoric when reduced to small shavings, what IS important is that the appropriate fire extinguisher to deal with it is nearby. This reminds me of an incident back in a laboratory I worked in years ago, where a undergrad didn't realize the acetone he was using in an experiment wasn't completely anhydrous; there was water in it. So when he put in the sodium metal which promptly exploded and set the acetone ablaze, and splashing it all over the rest of the apparatus - the best thing he could think of was to use the Co2 fire extinguisher. The sudden blast of cold compressed Co2 caused a temperature differential which the glass apparatus couldn't handle, so it simply shattered: spreading sodium chunks, flying glass, and acetone that was heated well beyond his flashpoint all over the place, sparking new conflagrations that were punctuated by the popping of sodium metal still reacting with water.
10-17-2017, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #199
Veteran Member

The IQ of a drill is better when the mill,
Has a sturdy morse quill.

But to get the real answer,
Send the the hole to a quorum.
They say the best IQ number is from Mensa,
And not the flaming forum.

10-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There are plenty of metals that are pyrophoric when reduced to small shavings, what IS important is that the appropriate fire extinguisher to deal with it is nearby. This reminds me of an incident back in a laboratory I worked in years ago, where a undergrad didn't realize the acetone he was using in an experiment wasn't completely anhydrous; there was water in it. So when he put in the sodium metal which promptly exploded and set the acetone ablaze, and splashing it all over the rest of the apparatus - the best thing he could think of was to use the Co2 fire extinguisher. The sudden blast of cold compressed Co2 caused a temperature differential which the glass apparatus couldn't handle, so it simply shattered: spreading sodium chunks, flying glass, and acetone that was heated well beyond his flashpoint all over the place, sparking new conflagrations that were punctuated by the popping of sodium metal still reacting with water.
We had a similar incident in my HS lab years ago. Im our case the exploding substance was in a petri dish, which the fire extinguisher through across the room to break to bits on the back wall of the classroom.

The poor gy who's experiment blew up used the exact same procedure everyone else did, we were all watching. We never came to a conclusion about why he had a problem when the others in front of him didn't.
10-17-2017, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We had a similar incident in my HS lab years ago. Im our case the exploding substance was in a petri dish, which the fire extinguisher through across the room to break to bits on the back wall of the classroom
+1 I love reading about idiotic lab accidents, for some reason I always see them as Dr.Bunsen and Beaker skits. Unintentional disasters are funnier when puppets are involved, running around flailing their puppet arms
10-17-2017, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #202
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
But if the new owners make changes, I am worried the new ones will look like this:
They should do the decent thing and put the "Stanley" name in some discrete location on the serial number plate and leave the main name and color as they have been.

Steve

10-17-2017, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #203
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Neither is really known for sharp results.
Says the man just a split second before running a finger into the joiner...

Steve
10-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #204
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...This reminds me of an incident back in a laboratory I worked in years ago, where a undergrad didn't realize the acetone he was using in an experiment wasn't completely anhydrous; there was water in it. So when he put in the sodium metal which promptly exploded and set the acetone ablaze, and splashing it all over the rest of the apparatus - the best thing he could think of was to use the Co2 fire extinguisher. The sudden blast of cold compressed Co2 caused a temperature differential which the glass apparatus couldn't handle, so it simply shattered: spreading sodium chunks, flying glass, and acetone that was heated well beyond his flashpoint all over the place, sparking new conflagrations that were punctuated by the popping of sodium metal still reacting with water.
...am having disturbing flashbacks to organic lab with visions of flaming waste troughs. I kid you not...very, very scary.

As for flaming chunks of sodium metal...that happened in high school. A few textbooks bit the dust.

Steve
10-17-2017, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #205
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The poor gy who's experiment blew up used the exact same procedure everyone else did, we were all watching. We never came to a conclusion about why he had a problem when the others in front of him didn't.
Could have been avoided with a simple firmware fix. Just sayin'...

Steve

(...high school is DOOMED...)
10-17-2017, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #206
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could have been avoided with a simple firmware fix. Just sayin'...
)
Gotta be careful with firmware updates, Steve ... I want to drill my brick, not brick my drill!
10-17-2017, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Says the man just a split second before running a finger into the joiner...

Steve
actually saw that

a promising career went out the collection port

who knew one hand held that much blood?

we did learn about taking too big a bite when squaring stock
10-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #208
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
actually saw that

a promising career went out the collection port

who knew one hand held that much blood?

we did learn about taking too big a bite when squaring stock
That is very sad. The hazards of the joiner were so great that my high school shop teacher would not allow us to use it.

Steve
10-18-2017, 01:38 AM - 2 Likes   #209
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Say what! You trusted someone else with your bits!
Union shop.

Not in my job description.
10-18-2017, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #210
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
There are plenty of metals that are pyrophoric when reduced to small shavings, what IS important is that the appropriate fire extinguisher to deal with it is nearby.
We have buckets of talc in case of a titanium fire.

This reminds me of an incident back in a laboratory I worked in years ago, where a undergrad didn't realize the acetone he was using in an experiment wasn't completely anhydrous; there was water in it. So when he put in the sodium metal which promptly exploded and set the acetone ablaze, and splashing it all over the rest of the apparatus - the best thing he could think of was to use the Co2 fire extinguisher. The sudden blast of cold compressed Co2 caused a temperature differential which the glass apparatus couldn't handle, so it simply shattered: spreading sodium chunks, flying glass, and acetone that was heated well beyond his flashpoint all over the place, sparking new conflagrations that were punctuated by the popping of sodium metal still reacting with water.
Sounds like a 3 Stooges episode.

The electric utility I worked at for 30 years had some sodium filled wire in the electric distribution grid way back when. It wasn't long before they decided to replace it all, for what became obvious reasons.

Seems like every time there was a wind storm, and trees took the lines down they would inevitably fall on wet ground, or into a puddle (even better). Even when a breaker opened and the conductor was no longer energized it still put on quite a show. The end of the wire would explode and fling itself into the air, then fall tot he ground again and the whole thing would start over.

Proved to be quite tricky gathering up the downed lines so new ones could be strung and power restored.