Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #241
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
me too

i'm cautious and aware around power tools but chain saws scare the crap out of me
to mitigate that fear my stihl only has a twenty inch bar
Even the smallest ones can inflict serious damage

To quote and old experienced sergeant ( or the writers of " Hill Street Blues " ):

" Hey! Let''s be careful out there "

10-20-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All you high revving Stihl guys... My McGulloch has a 20" bar and gets the job done despite the much lower rpm`s. And I sharpen my own chain...
10-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All this talk of digital dismemberment and disfigurement is making my butt pucker.

I can't go out to my shop and do any of the woodworking projects I have planned now. It will be weeks before I will be able to look at my table saw and not cringe at the very sight of it. Just passing by my drill press causes nightmares of a sleeve getting caught in a rapidly rotating spindle.

I had to move my brake lathe into a corner and cover it with a tarp.

And I still need to get my chainsaw fixed and cut up a tree that fell down by the river. I shudder at the very thought of even diagnosing the no start condition (I think it is the ignition).

Chainsaws are very dangerous.

Dextre Tripp juggling a chainsaw, bowling ball, and an apple - YouTube
It's all very worrying as you get older. Things can bite you. My radial arm mitre saw is still active, but the electric planer and the belt sander have gone.

We moved from suburbia in Melbourne to Nelson Bay and we have big trees that drop branches that have to be cut up. I need a chainsaw. I'm familiar with petrol/gas powered chainsaws, but I can't see myself using one when I'm 80 and two-stroke engines are going to be banned anyway, so I bought a battery powered Stihl 36V model. It's got enough power for what I need to do and I've got really butch work boots.

---------- Post added 21-10-17 at 20:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The outcomes are the same. The stories differ only in the details. I’m surprised today that in my School District every 7th and 8th Grade male (including Honors Track) was compelled to take Mechanical Drawing, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and Electrical Shop.

Band Saw
Metal Break
Router Table
Radial Arm Saw
Smithing Forge
Lathe

I’m only afraid of a chainsaw though, and every neighbor I have owns a 24” bar Stihl.
Why weren't the females compelled to take the same courses? Are they weak little creatures that need to be protected? Grump. The boys should be taught to sew too. Very useful skill if e.g. you move into a new apartment and have to make curtains.

My new Stihl only has a 12" bar. That's big enough for what I need to do. 12" is long enough for domestic happiness.
10-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #244
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Why weren't the females compelled to take the same courses?
When I attended primary school the boys took wood shop, metal shop, small engine and auto shop, and the girls took home ec, where they "studied" cooking, cleaning and mending.

Not saying I support such brazen gender segregation and grooming for adult roles, just that is how it was then.

10-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . . . . . and I've got really butch work boots.

I have a pair of these. Made in Portland, Oregon.

They bring out the logger in me.

My new Stihl only has a 12" bar. That's big enough for what I need to do. 12" is long enough for domestic happiness.
I bought a Stihl 028AV about 1980 or so. Still have it, I used to live in a house built in 1900, that had only a wood stove for heat. I cut wood most weekends all summer, and frequently in the other seasons, keeping the barn full of firewood. I was able to cut wood in the areas where timer is harvested/farmed, after the clearcuts. The leftover detritus was there for the taking, after paying a small fee to the forest service that manages the forests. I cut wood year round for about $24 in fees, and heated that house for about 15 years. I was in great shape from all the wood cutting, splitting and stacking.

I've worn out many chains, but it still has the original 20" bar.

Although we don't heat with wood anymore, as the house is long gone,and I have moved, there is always something that needs cut up here, downed trees, fallen limbs, overgrown areas and those awful cottonwood trees. I take at least one a year down.

Except along the river. Those help prevent erosion.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-21-2017 at 04:11 AM.
10-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #246
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

When I attended primary school the boys took wood shop, metal shop, small engine and auto shop, and the girls took home ec, where they "studied" cooking, cleaning and mending.

Not saying I support such brazen gender segregation and grooming for adult roles, just that is how it was then.

In high school, I did the same, drafting, wood and metal shop even though I was on the " college prep " route.

I also took typing, along with 1 other boy and was one of 8 boys, all seniors, who took a course call " Bachelor Living " the first time it was offered. We called it " Bachelor Survival ", 1st part cooking basics, last part basic sewing.

Half the class boycotted the last part. The others made handkerchiefs or t-shirts. I convinced the teacher to let me make a goose down coat from a Kit from REI. it was not very well sewn but I used it at college and it kept me very warm
10-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #247
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We have to make allowances for The Great White Shark, he hit a little ball for a living.
Pasture pool.

A great way to spend a sunny afternoon, drinking beer with some friends, chasing a little white ball around a big pasture.

I rarely keep score, just see how far I can smack that little ball.

10-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why weren't the females compelled to take the same courses? Are they weak little creatures that need to be protected? Grump. The boys should be taught to sew too. Very useful skill if e.g. you move into a new apartment and have to make curtains
It was America in the late 60s. Girls took sewing, cooking and home economics. My grandmother taught me ‘needle-crafts’; my mother taught me to cook, and to wash my own clothes.

My daughter-in-law is a tenured Family and Consumer Sciences teacher in the same High School I graduated from 45 years ago. The only differences are the classes are no longer compulsory, they are Co-Educational and there is State-sanctioned competition between schools in Cooking* just like ball sports.**

* it is somewhat similar to the cable television competitive cooking shows
** all the musical arts also compete statewide - Orchestra, Chorus, Band, collectively and individually, voices and instruments.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-21-2017 at 09:15 PM.
10-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad to see some US school districts still support such programs.
Here those activities were the first casualties when money got tight.

For many years since they've been "teaching to the test" here
so such "nonessentials" never came back.

Chris
10-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #250
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shudder at the very thought of even diagnosing the no start condition (I think it is the ignition).
My chainsaw is half dead on the bench in the garage. Various attempts at repair were only partially successful, but enough to allow me to deal with several big limbs that needed lopping. At present I am looking for a replacement, one that will allow me to consider stance and balance over simply keeping the thing running.

Steve

(...FWIW, 18" is enough for me and 16" is preferable for most of my tasks...)
10-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #251
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a pair of these. Made in Portland, Oregon.

They bring out the logger in me.
That is a manly boot alright. I would buy a pair just to set them in the corner to get the testosterone running just by looking at them except that I can't fit a Danner boot.

The boys should be taught to sew too.
Mom taught us boys to cook and sew and both have come in useful at times.

Dad taught me car repair and (by example) how to injure myself with power tools. He was and continues to be a buyer of cheap bits which explains the highly "creative" nature of the holes we both drill.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-21-2017 at 06:07 PM.
10-21-2017, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mother-in-law never quite got the idea that her little girl had failed Home Economics but had gotten an MD. One time she was visiting and saw a pillow I had sewn for our dogs. She said to my wife, "Oh, you finally learned to sew!" "Nope, just surgical stitches."

If my wife was posting here she would start talking about trepanning to get back on topic.
10-21-2017, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #253
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If my wife was posting here she would start talking about trepanning to get back on topic.
Remember those flint drills from a few pages back?

Steve
10-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm glad to see some US school districts still support such programs.
Here those activities were the first casualties when money got tight.

For many years since they've been "teaching to the test" here
so such "nonessentials" never came back.

Chris
In Missouri each school district votes it’s own tax rate. We’ve chosen to pay more school tax to support the extras so our children can select the best drill bits for their needs. People who don’t care about drill bits don’t want want to pay the extra tax, so they don’t live here, which is backward thinking - the high school district rating keeps our home values up.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.
10-21-2017, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Netherlands was, for a long time, the leader in the industrial world at providing the highest number of drill bits per student - and free of charge. The practice has been severely curtailed however, after a 3-year study indicated they were a major contributor to dyke failure from all the holes being drilled into them.