Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ways artists can market their art?

I would like to hear some ideas from members about selling your photos or any other way to market them. How do you market your art?

Last edited by marius; 08-26-2008 at 11:58 PM.
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can always try online just watermark your images. Places like stock-houses etc is a good start. That's my plan once i get motivated.
08-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

there is possibly already an existing market for your art. you just need to network yourself into it. if there is not a market for you to 'market' your work in, then you wont be able to make a dime...

but i would say:
shoot fresh, quality product at least once a week.
if you dont already have business cards, get some and keep them on you.
talk about yourself, talk talk talk
have some kind of gallery on the internet for people to check out.
have large prints around so that someone can see and covet.
go to lots of parties 8) that is my favorite part.
-if you hit the right networking parties, you can make very good contacts with people who
also know how to network.

I'm about to market some stuff myself.

I am a wedding photographer by trade, but I have been invited to an event called "Artists United" in an 8000 sq ft venue with live music, a couple of runway fashion shows, filmakers displaying work, and more.
I have been invited to attend as a vendor selling art.....

So my plan is to choose the proper product for the market I will be surrounded by, ya dig?
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Damn Brit

If you have a restaurant or coffee shop you go to regularly, you could try asking the management if they would be interested in displaying some of your work on their walls. It's good for them and can be good for you too.

08-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If you have a restaurant or coffee shop you go to regularly, you could try asking the management if they would be interested in displaying some of your work on their walls. It's good for them and can be good for you too.

That's a great idea! Then you put one of your business cards in the lower right corner of the picture or something similar.
08-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
That's a great idea! Then you put one of your business cards in the lower right corner of the picture or something similar.
Yeah and don't forget to put prices on and.......... DON'T sell yourself short, makes it harder to raise prices later.
08-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yeah and don't forget to put prices on and.......... DON'T sell yourself short, makes it harder to raise prices later.
You are correct sir. You can always drop your price...you can never raise it without complaints.

08-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also consider craft fairs. I don't know where you live but here in the Adirondacks there are craft fairs all the time through the summer and fall and nicely framed and matted photos sell.
08-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ways to market yourself

Really Word of Mouth is the best for photographers. This is what I have going for me at the moment.

Well my girlfriend is doing an incredible job.
Plus several other friends of mine are helping out.

This weekends wedding shoot happens to be for a hair stylist.
So she'll have my work on display.

My doctor has my work on his wall, with my card on it.

A dentist Office is presently looking at re-decorating their office, entirely with my work.

Whenever I get work for a web design company, or anything along those lines they must give me credit, along with a link.

I don't have the coffee shop thing yet, however it might come along soon.

I should mention that I consider myself as a lousy marketer. With good friends, whom love my work and tell everyone about it.
This has added up to a couple of very busy months.
08-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

One thing about marketing:

You need to pace yourself. A couple of those busy months in a row has put me in a state of vacation afterward.

I started marketing soooo hard....then I got sooo busy....

Now that I am done with that 3 month period of working my tail off night and day, I dont want to work that hard any more....
So I havent worked for a couple of weeks...
ya know?
08-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
One thing about marketing:

You need to pace yourself. A couple of those busy months in a row has put me in a state of vacation afterward.

I started marketing soooo hard....then I got sooo busy....

Now that I am done with that 3 month period of working my tail off night and day, I dont want to work that hard any more....
So I havent worked for a couple of weeks...
ya know?

What type of photography are you doing?
08-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

weddings.

i was talking talking and shaking hands, giving out business cards and strutting my stuff.

I booked a couple of short notice weddings, then I took a couple of weddings freelance for another studio....
...throw in a couple of portraits, a couple of models.

Now, lets synch it up: DEADLINES EVERYONE!!

Holy crap it killed me.

Today I feel that I am getting back on track.
8)
08-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When I say 'pace yourself' I would like to point out that you want to market yourself into a long term situation.

Dont hit your marketing plan with a sprint unless you have taken some time to develop your marketing strategy.
If you are asking about how to market, I would feel it is safe to assume that you haven't really developed your strategy.

So, feel the market out slowly and find what gives you the best returns.
You may find out stuff like 'coffee shop owners are too busy to talk', or 'models really turn some word of mouth', or 'whatever, the market is HOT'......

What I do is I go to my business notebooks and I start writing ideas.
I've got notebooks/sketchbooks of poses, marketing, wedding packages...

....bars to open, websites to build, taekwondo studios to establish

shit im making myself tired again.

cya