Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I flew to the States in 1971 in a Finnair DC-8, got a whole tour of the cockpit of course.
Pardon the Douglas twist...
Interestingly, Douglas was bought by McDonnell Aircraft (of St. Louis), which was bought by Boeing, so in a sense a DC-8 is a Boeing aircraft.

11-22-2017, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've flown on the 717 through 787 inclusive. I probably flew on a 707 as a child but there a slight chance it was a DC-8.

Also good is the Boeing factory tour & museum in Everett (north of Seattle) although do not permit cameras on the factory tour portion.
11-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #18

Haven't flown on many, but I've been on most major carriers 777, 787, 747, and a380s. At least ones that fly into and out of the West coast. Love the exterior of the 747 but the newer planes have much nicer interior.
11-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've flown on all of them - 707 thru 777. Hoping to get a chance to try out the 787 one day.

11-23-2017, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

I tried, but couldn't afford the pricetag on a single one... so no collecting of aircraft for me... plus I doubt I could fit them on a bookcase.
11-24-2017, 01:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I am far away from having them all, mostly because I am too young to have flown on the 707, which I would have loved to. Flew once on the 747 from Amsterdam to NYC. almost 20 years ago. And then again back from LA to Amsterdam. Within the US it was a 767 I guess but cant remember. What I do remember are the delays and I think between NYC and LA I changed the plane in Denver... Otherwise plenty of 737 (within Europe) and 777, the latter down to South America. In the past that trip was with the DC-10 / MD-11 but, man, am I glad its 777 since some years. Once a 757 in Peru.

Once I flew on the 727 and that was weird. I mean, the 727 is said to be one of the finest planes back in the day but it was '95 and we flew down to Peru. It was Iberia (dont use them ever... worst airline around) to Caracas and then with Viasa to Lima. That was when Venezuela wasnt the chaos it is today. Well, the Viasa was a 727 and was quite worn out. I mean really worn out. The plane was originally from Lufthansa and there were still plenty of german readings inside the cabin (dont mind it; I am german). I think Iberia bought it cheap and sent it to Venezuela (Viasa was run by Iberia at that time). So the plane was not so quite clean, german instructions all over the place, all seats taken, overcrowded overhead bin. And we flew with heavy delay over the Amazon jungle. It was raining season. You imagine the rattle. It was a bit of a shame for the 727 but it made it safely to Lima.

Curiously, I seldom fly on Airbus. Mostly I am on Airbus in South America whilst it's 737 in Europe... and not mentioning DC-9 / MD-80 or Fokker-100 which arent used anymore.
11-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe John Travolta went to a lot of trouble to get a 707, then realized he could get a 747 with only a little more work. For a while he had both, but you know how it is, you're always taking the 747 because it's newer, the old 707 always has some kind of maintenance thing going on, the wife doesn't like driving it herself, etc. So he gets by with one these days.

The DC-9 is related to the 717 - the 717 is a design started as a successor to a DC-9.

11-25-2017, 03:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First ever flight was a school trip in a Fokker Friendship for 20 minutes in the 1960s. DC7s on the 70s, 747s in the 80s and 90s and a slew of 737s in Australasia over the last couple of decades.. Airbuses more recently.
11-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I've never flown any of Boeing's airplanes. They won't even let me in the cockpit.
11-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
the newer planes have much nicer interior.
They sure do. One of my two missed 787 chances was with Thai (the other being a JAL flight I missed,) and upon boarding the aircraft, I was really disappointed with how unimpressive it was for a brand-new plane. It looked a bit dated. Then I thought to look for the evacuation card, and discovered I was on an A330. $#%!#% equipment change! The A330 isn't an "old" plane, but the new cabins are so much different that they make what is still probably the most common interior feel old. Even American's 738 looks and feels nice and, dare I say, sufficiently roomy for ORD-SFO. Somehow the colorful LED lighting is messing with our heads, making everything seem great, because seat pitch and width are definitely not increasing, and domestic carriers' in-flight amenities are still terrible. 787's window dimming is a bizarre shade of blue, and when you're awake and you know the plane is flying in daylight (and you can see the unshaded emergency hatch window,) it's that much more odd. Head games...
11-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glarus Quote
787's window dimming is a bizarre shade of blue, and when you're awake and you know the plane is flying in daylight (and you can see the unshaded emergency hatch window,) it's that much more odd. Head games...
Indeed! Trying to take pictures through those dimmed windows is not easy. The white balance is really strange and the total filtration is about 12-stops.

But for those of us who who can't/won't sleep on a plane and bought a window seat so we could look out the window, the 787 windows are better than being constantly yelled at by flight attendants for having a open window shade whilst others are sleeping.
12-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Glarus Quote
They sure do. One of my two missed 787 chances was with Thai (the other being a JAL flight I missed,) and upon boarding the aircraft, I was really disappointed with how unimpressive it was for a brand-new plane. It looked a bit dated. Then I thought to look for the evacuation card, and discovered I was on an A330. $#%!#% equipment change! The A330 isn't an "old" plane, but the new cabins are so much different that they make what is still probably the most common interior feel old. Even American's 738 looks and feels nice and, dare I say, sufficiently roomy for ORD-SFO. Somehow the colorful LED lighting is messing with our heads, making everything seem great, because seat pitch and width are definitely not increasing, and domestic carriers' in-flight amenities are still terrible. 787's window dimming is a bizarre shade of blue, and when you're awake and you know the plane is flying in daylight (and you can see the unshaded emergency hatch window,) it's that much more odd. Head games...

If you ever get a chance, Emirates and Singapore have amazing a380s. For 777 or 787 the best ive seen has been Hainan or China Airlines.
12-02-2017, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #28
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I’ve flown on many airplanes, not just Boeing.

DC3, Constellation, 707, 727 (even boarded and deplaned via the rear stairway), 737, 747.

I was going to actually fly a B17, but I passed on it and flew a Mitchell B25 instead.

This Mitchell B25:

I also have many hours in light planes, although I have never obtained a pilot’s license.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-02-2017 at 10:02 PM.
12-02-2017, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I once flew the first 727 airframe put in service. It was a United Flight and the Captain made a big deal about the fact that the plane would go to the Boeing museum at the end of that month. IIRC the Builder’s Plate had been mounted next to the flight deck door to confirm the fact. I don’t recall for certain whether the plate number was actually 001, but I believe it was.
This 727?

12-03-2017, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
This 727?

N7001U. Yeah, maybe that very aircraft.