Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little rant: Talking Head videos on Youtube

Every so often, someone will post a link on the forum to some guy doing a "review" of a camera or a comparison of two cameras on Youtube.

And every time someone does, I go and watch the video. (Duh - silly me!) And here's the thing: Nine out of ten times, they're "talking head" videos. Am I alone in wanting to see the thing being reviewed, rather than some self-important blow-hard's face for most of the video? And, once I get to that level of irritation, I just don't care to listen to what they have to say.

Am I alone with this problem?

12-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

These seem to be the norm these days, just because so many people have started "youtubing" full time to make money. As long as they have the actual gear and aren't just listing specs, I can swallow it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2017, 03:29 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12-05-2017, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Am I alone with this problem?
How about the ones where the entire video is promotional product shots with a narrator reading the product description from marketing's press release

...grrrrrr...

Steve

12-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's worse in the car/motorcycle world. Used to be a person could find nicely written, well photographed tutorials on how to R&R parts for just about anything. Heck I wrote a few myself. Now everything is a damn video that's almost always poorly shot in a dark garage and almost completely unedited with long periods of the random "mechanic" talking most of the time about why they made a video and now isn't nearly as useful when I'm in the garage covered in oil wishing I had something printed out to reference instead of having to, get up, clean up to use my laptop or tablet inside the house, before I go back out to work.
12-05-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I go and watch the video.
...and Mark, your problem is?
12-05-2017, 04:51 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...and Mark, your problem is?
Exactly! I fall for it every time.

Here's an example of the sort of drivel that i can't watch:

This is irritating but not quite as bad:

And while I'm ranting. Why, oh why, do we have these things called "unboxing videos"?

12-05-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These seem to be the norm these days, just because so many people have started "youtubing" full time to make money. As long as they have the actual gear and aren't just listing specs, I can swallow it
You're clearly a more patient man than me Adam!
12-05-2017, 05:10 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I won't watch an online video unless it's the only possible way to acquire the information contained therein.

I've been reading since I was 6 years old and by now I'm fairly good at it. It takes a couple of minutes to read an article versus 20 minutes to watch a video to get the same benefit.

And there's a special place in hell reserved for videoists who start out by saying "Hey! How are you?"
12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I won't watch an online video unless it's the only possible way to acquire the information contained therein.

I've been reading since I was 6 years old and by now I'm fairly good at it. It takes a couple of minutes to read an article versus 20 minutes to watch a video to get the same benefit.

And there's a special place in hell reserved for videoists who start out by saying "Hey! How are you?"
Exactly! The first link I posted was 28 minutes of drivel. At most, a few minutes read of specifications etc. Life is too short!
12-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And while I'm ranting. Why, oh why, do we have these things called "unboxing videos"?
Yes, I know. Those are sort of lame, but are also a tradition of sorts. They serve a number of purposes:
  • Allows a new owner to share the excitement of a new purchase
  • Shows the quality of packaging
  • Shows what is actually included with the product and where such might be hidden in the packaging
Yeah...sort of lame.

I have never made an unboxing video, but I do generally document the full unboxing with still photographs in case there is damage. There may also be some interesting quirks. For example, parcels from Russia and the former Soviet union states are often carefully wrapped with brown paper (sometimes oiled) and tied with twine. Inside, a generous amount of a recent newspaper might be used as padding. My FED-2 rangefinder had wadded up technical manuals for some sort of electronic stuff as packing material.

My Chamonix view camera (made in and shipped from Haining, China) was boxed quite nicely and padded with foam, but was also carefully wrapped in crisp oiled paper instead of an inner box. Go figure... (PHOTOS)

Steve
12-05-2017, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this forum is a *way* more dependable source of information. Post something that's not true, there'll be rapid feedback by the community!

And if you like uninformed rants, we do get those too ... present company excepted, of course.
12-05-2017, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first link I posted was 28 minutes of drivel.
...and you posted that to suck me in???

it did not work; I scrolled down very quickly - not tempted at all.
12-05-2017, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Am I alone in wanting to see the thing being reviewed, rather than some self-important blow-hard's face for most of the video
No, you are not alone. It has become a habit of mine to skip the first few (or several) minutes. With especially tutorials video's, I sometimes keep skipping to near the end, as that's when the actual talk about the subject starts... aaaarg!
12-05-2017, 08:32 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I mindlessly clicked on this thread thinking it was about the Talking Heads, was disappointed as I realized it was about the annoying talking head videos which I also hate. It made my day to find a Talking Heads video in only the second reply.