Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I mindlessly clicked on this thread thinking it was about the Talking Heads, was disappointed as I realized it was about the annoying talking head videos which I also hate. It made my day to find a Talking Heads video in only the second reply.
Great minds think alike Brian!

12-05-2017, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mindlessly clicked on this thread thinking it was about the Talking Heads, was disappointed as I realized it was about the annoying talking head videos which I also hate. It made my day to find a Talking Heads video in only the second reply.
If you're interested you should check out Byrne's book 'How Music Works', a sort of bio combined with a behind-the-scenes look at the industry.
12-05-2017, 10:03 PM - 5 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't resist... it was a Once In A Lifetime opportunity!
12-05-2017, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Loved the band but also not that into those Youtube videos.
Kai, as odd as he is at least goes out and does stuff with the gear.

12-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I tend to skip forward pretty fast for most videos, my personal pet peeves are videos with text-to-speech voice overs and people who have never actually touched the gear (actually the first is almost always the second), I can sort of handle straight advertisements, and top 10 of anything I just shut the tab,
12-06-2017, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

More and more often, when I need to look up some minor thing online, almost the entire first page of Google results is clogged up with videos that would take ten minutes to tell me something that I could read in thirty seconds. Meanwhile, I've decided just this week to give up on Facebook because of its insistence on prioritising videos that I'm not interested in over the things that my friends and family are writing on their timelines. The powers-that-be in Silicon Valley seem determined to take us back to an age where reading and writing are the special magic of the chosen few.

This leaves me with an awful vision of a future in which online photography forums have become nothing more than page after page of little talking head videos, with never a written word to be seen. And somewhere in another dimension, Ray Bradbury will be chuckling.
12-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
More and more often, when I need to look up some minor thing online, almost the entire first page of Google results is clogged up with videos that would take ten minutes to tell me something that I could read in thirty seconds. Meanwhile, I've decided just this week to give up on Facebook because of its insistence on prioritising videos that I'm not interested in over the things that my friends and family are writing on their timelines. The powers-that-be in Silicon Valley seem determined to take us back to an age where reading and writing are the special magic of the chosen few.

This leaves me with an awful vision of a future in which online photography forums have become nothing more than page after page of little talking head videos, with never a written word to be seen. And somewhere in another dimension, Ray Bradbury will be chuckling.
You have to be proactive with your Likes, Shares and Comments so FB knows you want those types of posts from those Friends at the top of your Newsfeed, Dave!

12-06-2017, 03:59 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I won't watch an online video unless it's the only possible way to acquire the information contained therein.

I've been reading since I was 6 years old and by now I'm fairly good at it. It takes a couple of minutes to read an article versus 20 minutes to watch a video to get the same benefit.

And there's a special place in hell reserved for videoists who start out by saying "Hey! How are you?"
I know what you're saying, but honestly, my parents got my hooked on phonics at a very young age and I've been trying ever since to beat the addiction. I've tried the patches and the gum and nothing worked. Finally, Talking Heads on You Tube have come to my rescue to help me cut back on reading.

I'm still not there yet, but at least it's a start...
12-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Exactly! I fall for it every time.

Here's an example of the sort of drivel that i can't watch:

? NIKON D850 FULL REVIEW ?AKA the "DO IT ALL" soon to be Legendary ? - YouTube

This is irritating but not quite as bad:

Nikon D850 Hands-on Preview - YouTube

And while I'm ranting. Why, oh why, do we have these things called "unboxing videos"?

Ricoh Pentax K-1 Unboxing - YouTube
Please, please do not post this type of thing especially including the links, that is just too cruel. I know the feeling of falling into this trap only too well. I only just managed to keep myself from actually looking at the vids and I am happy to take your word about drivel and irritations. Unboxing videos!! more fun to watch paint dry
12-06-2017, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are many pundits I cannot stand to even read written posts from let alone sit and watch videos from, there is one particular person on PF who really ticks me off but I gloss over content from that person - I don't block people permanently no matter how wrong their opinions are. A stopped clock is only right twice a day and some people no matter how lacking in activity their cortices appear to be, can still get things right.

On the internet in general I have been excising the right of just not getting involved, why do something you hate? There are threads, twitter accounts and youtube videos where opinions that are expressed I feel tempted to be sarcastic,snarky and unhelpful. The internet can be a pretty toxic place - online gaming communities can sadly be a ravenous pit of frothing vitriol*.

I choose not to be a toxic person. There is enough of that on the internet already. TAP, Tony Northrup and Ken Rockwell can make as many videos,tweets, and written reviews loaded to the brim with disinformation as they want...just as long as i'm never forced to wade through it for a femtosecond.

* Jim Sterling, a game reviewer is fond of the phrase: boiled piss when referring to the toxic nature of online fora and online videos. I think it is an excellent term for it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-06-2017 at 05:53 AM.
12-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I choose not to be a toxic person.
Also my philosophy. There is already too much of that.
12-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I thought the same thing. I thought maybe someone was asking how to make shot like something out of a Talking Heads (band) video.

Yet, this thread sucked me in.

On the actual subject; the thing that frustrates me, and this goes extra to the post about repairing things in the garage, is that people aren't writing down things as much any more, so youtube ends up being the only source for info. And then, one is stuck browsing 50 videos in hopes of finding 1 that is actually useful.

This will probably create a new market for books and magazines, so maybe it is cyclical and a good thing.
12-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

This will probably create a new market for books and magazines, so maybe it is cyclical and a good thing.
Unfortunately, no, just ask anyone from the beleaguered publishing industry!

Original, long form work from people with professional standards doesn't pay, cheap and superficial repackaging of press releases in an attention grabbing manner does.

12-06-2017, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Original, long form work from people with professional standards doesn't pay, cheap and superficial repackaging of press releases in an attention grabbing manner does.
Oh, I wasn't thinking in a traditional sense; the days of the publishing industry are gone. But, things evolve, and the current state of business with media, books, music, video will drive how it works out. I just think we aren't that far from people losing patience with what is published that there will be an evolution towards better quality paid content. It won't be overnight, but it will happen. Now whether it pays for the authors, I don't know. One will have to continue to watch the music industry to see how it continues to evolve for them.
12-06-2017, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

The publishing industry is just late with adopting attention grabbing marketing headlines:

"This man chose over half a MILLION characters from the everyday English alphabet, spent 2000 HOURS carefully choosing one of the 800 QUIJILLION permutations, recorded his selection using a NON-GMO CARBON based ink on a RENEWABLE TREE-based substrate and you won't believe the results! And you can have a CORDLESS and BATTERY FREE copy shipped to your meatspace door for as little as 8 e-coins!!!"