Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EBay - Not a great place to sell...

So I sold my FD 200mm f/2.8 lens with an M43 adapter to someone on Ebay - they kept it nearly but not quite a month and then filed a "defective" return (despite my not accepting returns. Then ebay docked my paypal account the amount and there is no option to refuse to accept refunds. I found discussion on ebay that one guy claims ebay told him that if a buyer selects not as described they can pee on the item and smash it and return it and you have no recourse.

That's it. I'm done. No more ebay ever again.

Waiting for a customer service call to hear the bad news.

Oh and the defect, "It's not contrasty enough and they think it must be defective..."

Really? Have you shot this lens before? Do you know what a good one looks like? Sigh.

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 02:51 PM ----------

And the defect? "Resolution/Contrast very poor. Doesn't work as this model is supposed to based on previous lenses I have used."

I shot that lens. It was the finest copy of the FD 200 I have ever seen. I call BS!!!!

12-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hell, that's really not a fair resolution.
12-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hell, that's really not a fair resolution.
LOL - yes I would agree. The policy states that buyers can only be reported for a few things including excessive returns. The rumor is that excessive is 10-15% of their purchases! I'm on hold with the Ebay now.

HOWEVER - the person who called me agreed that this is likely buyers remorse and said that she is setting the case to that status and it will close next Tuesday in my favor. We shall see if it actually does...

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 03:07 PM ----------

Just for fun here are pictures OF the lens in question: Canon FD 200 for sale | Flickr
12-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope they decide in your favour.

12-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I hope they decide in your favour.
She said they already had, but the week delay is weird. I don't trust anything at this point. I'm already having to move money from bank to PayPal to correct the void that left.
12-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LOL - yes I would agree. The policy states that buyers can only be reported for a few things including excessive returns. The rumor is that excessive is 10-15% of their purchases!
Interesting. I've bought quite a few items over the last couple of years that either weren't in the condition described, or faulty, and hence I returned them. Two of those required eBay to step in, as the sellers were extremely resistant.

In my case, I only choose to return an item if it is substantially different to the description. I can live with something being in slightly worse cosmetic condition than expected, since assessment of condition can be quite a subjective thing. In any case, I generally factor in an allowance for over-optimistic descriptions. Still, I do return things. Not sure what my return rate is... I'd have thought maybe 5%, but I could believe 10%. I wonder if I'm getting close to eBay's "excessive" level?

Anyway, good luck with your resolution!
12-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. My status for the item is unchanged. I'm not hopeful.

12-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That really is so unfair. I certainly hope that they settle in your favor; after a month, I don't see how they couldn't! Heck in a couple of hours, one could check out the "contrast", not a full month.

Hope you keep the name of the EBay rep that said they were settling in your favor; you may need it.

Best of luck, I know anyone here would have absolutely no hesitation to buy anything from you, and it would arrive in better condition than what you listed!
12-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That really is so unfair. I certainly hope that they settle in your favor; after a month, I don't see how they couldn't! Heck in a couple of hours, one could check out the "contrast", not a full month.

Hope you keep the name of the EBay rep that said they were settling in your favor; you may need it.

Best of luck, I know anyone here would have absolutely no hesitation to buy anything from you, and it would arrive in better condition than what you listed!
Thank you. I sold one old Sigma lens here that broke during the first day of use, I refunded the money and let the buyer keep it. Other than that I don't recall a single issue with transactions here. On the other hand I've had a Sigma lens returned on eBay, and now this. It isn't worth the hassle. If the lens comes back to me, I may sell it here or give it away to a friend.
12-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, with your excellent ++++ reputation here, I don't think you'd have a problem selling anything! It sure wouldn't be worth the hassle to continue with EBay.
12-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: eBay sided with me. Color me shocked after the stories I read.

On a note of irony, I may have to file a claim against a seller as their item was pulled by eBay and they haven't shipped it despite being paid.
12-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Never sold on eBay, but had a strange experience a few days ago - bid on Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens. As it ended at about 4 in the morning, and I need my sleep, I put in a reasonable (in my opinion) bid and went to bed. Checked e-mails next day - first of all, one telling me my bid had been successful, then immediately after (same minute !) one telling me not to pay as the item had been withdrawn ! Didn't pay, obviously. Sent the potential vendor a polite message asking for clarification, and heard nothing. Contacted eBay asking them to look into it - still nothing ! Colour me confused !!
12-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Never sold on eBay, but had a strange experience a few days ago - bid on Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens. As it ended at about 4 in the morning, and I need my sleep, I put in a reasonable (in my opinion) bid and went to bed. Checked e-mails next day - first of all, one telling me my bid had been successful, then immediately after (same minute !) one telling me not to pay as the item had been withdrawn ! Didn't pay, obviously. Sent the potential vendor a polite message asking for clarification, and heard nothing. Contacted eBay asking them to look into it - still nothing ! Colour me confused !!
Occasionally a seller will withdraw an item saying it sold off ebay or was damaged if they don't like the price they got etc. It could be that or just some glitch.

In this sale I had gotten up to far higher than it sold for about halfway through the auction and then realized the bidder who was winning was from outside where I was willing to ship. So I revamped my auction preferences and cancelled the bid - I had clearly stated in the auction that I would ONLY ship in the USA and this person did not respond to my emails asking where they planned to have this shipped. They also had zero feedback and it felt like a scam. So I cancelled that bid and it reverted to the original bidder at my minimum price. He later won it at his minimum bid since no one else bid on it.

Weird stuff can happen. I doubt anything nefarious was up for your auction but you never know.
02-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Occasionally a seller will withdraw an item saying it sold off ebay or was damaged if they don't like the price they got etc. It could be that or just some glitch.

In this sale I had gotten up to far higher than it sold for about halfway through the auction and then realized the bidder who was winning was from outside where I was willing to ship. So I revamped my auction preferences and cancelled the bid - I had clearly stated in the auction that I would ONLY ship in the USA and this person did not respond to my emails asking where they planned to have this shipped. They also had zero feedback and it felt like a scam. So I cancelled that bid and it reverted to the original bidder at my minimum price. He later won it at his minimum bid since no one else bid on it.

Weird stuff can happen. I doubt anything nefarious was up for your auction but you never know.
Hello Uncle,

I remember when I first spotted that lens here in the Marketplace. I did rent that same lens for two days and I must say, I found it to be most impressive. The next day I went to purchase from you and the lens had sold. Back to your issue, I have not had anything to do with ebay for approximately 10 years now. I just do not support their business practices. This is the main reason that Amazon.com is now leading the pack as far as Internet purchasing is concerned. Although, even on ebay, you do have some protection from fraud of any kind by using Paypal. I assume you shared your concerns with Paypal and they would not support your cause?

Regards,

Tony
02-21-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello Uncle,

I remember when I first spotted that lens here in the Marketplace. I did rent that same lens for two days and I must say, I found it to be most impressive. The next day I went to purchase from you and the lens had sold. Back to your issue, I have not had anything to do with ebay for approximately 10 years now. I just do not support their business practices. This is the main reason that amazon.com is now leading the pack as far as Internet purchasing is concerned. Although, even on ebay, you do have some protection from fraud of any kind by using Paypal. I assume you shared your concerns with Paypal and they would not support your cause?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Regards,

Tony
Tony I did not. The eBay process precludes that. If you file a claim with PayPal they won't process the claim on the eBay side, most advice says to complete eBay process first, then go to PayPal as a last resort.

The good news is that despite all the info suggesting that there was a policy that would rule against my claim, the eBay folks were very clearly in my camp as soon as I spoke with them. They sided with me and the refund was overturned.