Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Replacing stolen cameras

I am trying to help a local high school art teacher (for Jonesboro High in GA) locate donor 35mm manual SLR cameras (preferably with lenses) to replace the ones that were stolen in a break-in over the summer. She has managed to get a few and borrow a few more, but they are still short.

I'm sure that a few of you out there have dusty 35mm SLR's that you don't use and just haven't taken the time to list for sale. This is a great inexpensive way to assist in someone's education. I wish we had photography as an option when I was in high school. We had shop, band, agriculture and home ec.

I have a camera that I plan to donate and my father-in-law will donate one as well.

I will talk to the teacher and see if in addition to the karma-boost the camera donors receive, they may get an original print from a fledgeling photographer (after their darkroom skills are honed a bit).

Thanks for looking...

Adam (not the moderator )

08-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good luck in finding bodies! I think finding bodies for free could be difficult, but finding cheap bodies is quite easy
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. BUT, they just need two or three more and I occasionally do see people on forums giving away a working camera occasionally.

I was in a shop that deals with and repairs older cameras weekend before last when she came in asking about cameras & the shop owner was quoting really lofty prices ($250 for an AE-1!?!?!). They just couldn't do it. I asked her what school she worked for (this is NOT a wealthy area), contacted her later & told her I would do what I could to help.

Doesn't hurt to ask, right?
08-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Camera bodies are not that difficult.
Have you tried listing in Craigslist and kijiji.com for your area?
Good luck

One should perhaps keep an eye out on ebay AND the above for the stuff that was stolen.

08-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well if a K1000se with a 50mm f2 lens is not too old, I'll mail it over to her. Teaching photography to teens is definetly a good cause and I'd rather see that camera be used than having it collect dust.

Pat
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JC -- I've been patroling Craigslist, but part of the hitch is that I'm not sure if she can buy from individuals or if she has to purchse from a store where she can get a receipt (for the school). I sent her an email to find out. I haven't heard of kijiji/

Pat -- you rock! PM me for details if you're serious.
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Of course he's serious - lol

Kijiji USA Free Classifieds - Post & Search Free Classified Ads is owned by Ebay - it has FREE classified and you can post WANTED and FREE.
Give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing...

Here's the one for Atlanta
http://atlanta.kijiji.com/f--W0QQAdTypeZ1

08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Don't patrol, Craigslist, try putting a wanted up.
How about local radio stations, newspaper, you might get an avalanche of cameras. Just ask for Pentax cameras, we need to capture the next generation.

Pat, you're a good man.
08-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #9

Please send me a PM. I donate a good condition ME Super with a M 50/1.7 and possibly a ZX-50 (entry-level autofocus). As you can see in my profile, I live in the metro Atlanta area so delivery shouldn't be a problem...

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I am trying to help a local high school art teacher (for Jonesboro High in GA) locate donor 35mm manual SLR cameras (preferably with lenses) to replace the ones that were stolen in a break-in over the summer. She has managed to get a few and borrow a few more, but they are still short.

I'm sure that a few of you out there have dusty 35mm SLR's that you don't use and just haven't taken the time to list for sale. This is a great inexpensive way to assist in someone's education. I wish we had photography as an option when I was in high school. We had shop, band, agriculture and home ec.

I have a camera that I plan to donate and my father-in-law will donate one as well.

I will talk to the teacher and see if in addition to the karma-boost the camera donors receive, they may get an original print from a fledgeling photographer (after their darkroom skills are honed a bit).

Thanks for looking...

Adam (not the moderator )
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Way to step up Pentaxians! I posted a similar message on APUG, got over 100 views & not a peep. 0. You guys are great!

You know -- that first solid 35mm camera can really make an impression on a person. I cut my teeth on an Olympus OM2n & it's still my favorite 35mm. It may be a Saab to some, but I love the compactness and having the shutter speed on the front instead of on top. Maybe these Pentax cameras will instill in a younger generation just what workhorse cameras these are and broaden the brand search beyond the "Big Two" when they shop for a camera of their own.
08-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #11

Adam, I'd like to thank you for stepping up and taking the time and effort to pull all this together. So, does that mean the students will have to wear hats and shirts that say "Sponsored by Pentaxforums.com"?
08-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha ha -- I was thinking tattoos.
08-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I am trying to help a local high school art teacher (for Jonesboro High in GA)......
I think I read about this school in the news today.

Isn't it in the first school district to lose its accreditation since 1969? Read a couple of stories about it online and it looks like the district is in an awful mess. They really could use whatever help they can get.
08-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah -- it's the whole disctrict. I'm just reading about it.
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry, no equipment to donate, but here's a link to the schools web page.

And here's a link to the news Mike mentioned.

It sounds like the students are the ones whom will suffer the most like always