Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weihnachts Hilfe Bitte

I am trying to trace the manufacturer. I think it would be a nice touch to send them a note with these two snaps of our 52nd year using their Weihnachtsbeleuchtung. They might find it interesting that their very reliable lights have lit up our tree for the 52 Christmases we have shared together. These photos are the 36th year they lit up our home in Sparwood, British Columbia Canada.

We purchased the lights in 1965 when we were living in Bad Sassendorf, W. Germany for our first Christmas as a married couple. I was with NATO and we lived in Bad Sasssendorf for our first year, then Soest until 1967, when I was released from the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps.

I cannot remember the address in Bad Sassendorf, but we lived in the ground floor apartment at Windmuhlenweg 35 in Soest 1966-67.

01-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google is your friend.A simple search brings up this electrics company in Germany,could it be the manufacturer of your lights?

Willkommen

Unfortunately the English language part of their site is "Under construction" but my schoolboy German is good enough to tell they have been in business under the trade name FER for 150 years so it could be the one.

Last edited by timb64; 01-04-2018 at 08:26 AM.
01-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very cool that they have made it so long.
01-04-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Google is your friend.A simple search brings up this electrics company in Germany,could it be the manufacturer of your lights?

Willkommen

Unfortunately the English language part of their site is "Under construction" but my schoolboy German is good enough to tell they have been in business under the trade name FER for 150 years so it could be the one.
Thanks! I googled it, but I included the O behind the Fed which I guess is a decoration. My bad, your good. Thanks! I just emailed them. We will soon find out if it is the same company!

01-04-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
They might find it interesting that their very reliable lights have lit up our tree for the 52 Christmases we have shared together
You know you just jinxed your light set, right?
01-04-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You know you just jinxed your light set, right?
Nein. Dies leuchten sint Deutscher Fabrik. We also cheat by running them at half voltage.
01-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This FER is originally an east-german company (pre- and post WW II), as it seems from their history page. However, you have bought your candles in west-Germany. The price was 22.40 Deutsche Mark (west, obviously). It could be the same company since a lot of DDR products were sold in the west. However, if this was the case in 1965 is beyond my knowledge, because it is so soon after the wall was built. The package-design, OTOH, looks quite DDR-like to me. Interestingly, the plug is US standard, if my eyes dont play tricks on me?

Cheers from an 1970-built west-Berliner (American Sector) ;-)

01-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
This FER is originally an east-german company (pre- and post WW II), as it seems from their history page. However, you have bought your candles in west-Germany. The price was 22.40 Deutsche Mark (west, obviously). It could be the same company since a lot of DDR products were sold in the west. However, if this was the case in 1965 is beyond my knowledge, because it is so soon after the wall was built. The package-design, OTOH, looks quite DDR-like to me. Interestingly, the plug is US standard, if my eyes dont play tricks on me?

Cheers from an 1970-built west-Berliner (American Sector) ;-)
I changed the plug so I could run the lights on Canadian 110v circuit. You are correct -- that is not the original plug. In 1965, we lived in Bad Sassendorf, the first Christmas of our marriage. in 1966, in Soest. In 1967, it was in a small village called Crescent Beach, South of Vancouver British Columbia. In 1971, in Burnaby British Columbia. In 1974, Aldergrove, BC. In 1982, in Sparwood where it is now. It was used on various trees, and out lived them all.

That is interesting that a NATO member in West Germany (4th Canadian Motorized Brigade Group) would have access to DDR products. I was most envious of the teachers on two floors above us because they could go to Berlin. I was a Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, and was turned back 10 km from the border. I was not allowed any closer. I have no idea what secrets I could have told, but army is army, nicht wahr?

My German was primitive when I was there, and 50 years have lost most of what little I had.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-04-2018 at 09:45 PM.