Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 06:18 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to ignore them. I've been happily shooting with my K5 for 6 years and have no thoughts of replacing it right now, whether with another Pentax or some other brand. Most of the people who complain about crappy pictures with a Pentax are going to get the same crappy pictures with whatever else they buy.

01-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I do tend to respond in many of the offending threads, but only to try and add some balance, in case our more impressionable members might subsequently read them. Of course, I don't have the option of an "ignore list" 
01-14-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I do tend to respond in many of the offending threads, but only to try and add some balance, in case our more impressionable members might subsequently read them. Of course, I don't have the option of an "ignore list" 

no - but you do have the big 'LOCK' and 'DELETE' buttons available to you...

(:
01-14-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
LOL Yeah, but there are hordes waiting for us to be over-zealous. It's a fine line...

01-14-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Personally I think a lot of it is just frustration. There's something they want to do. They can't get it done, it must be the cameras fault.

MY guiding experience with this regards was years ago when GPS's first came out. I had an early Garmin and I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do. I posted a half page rant on a canoeing forum about what a piece of crap it was. Someone one posted "I don't know what's wrong, but mine works." I went back in checked all my settings, and discovered I had accidentally changed one of the settings so that it wasn't doing what I wanted.

I had to come on after that huge rant and just say "OK, it works now."

Most people on here fill our ears with frustration, and never have the decency to come back and tell us how things worked out for them. Just the fact that they've taken our time with their problem then don't tell us how things worked out tells me all I need to know about them.

As for why I answer, that guy who posted on the canoe forum said something that helped me reassess my evaluation of the situation. Most of us want to be that guy.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
01-14-2018, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The more useful question (psychology-wise) is, why does anyone reply to those threads. Because the responses are not changing anyone's minds.
If the poster has said something that is downright wrong, it should be corrected in a factual way. Even though it is not going to make any difference to you, me, or the vitriolic leaver. Remember that outsiders browse this forum, possibly ones looking for info on what brand to buy.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 01-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.
01-14-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
If the poster has said something that is downright wrong, it should be corrected in a factual way. Even though it is not going to make any difference to you, I, or the vitriolic leaver. Remember that outsiders browse this forum, possibly ones looking for info on what brand to buy.
Yes, as I mentioned above, that's basically my reason for responding in those threads. Of course, it's equally harmful to us when the angry leaver gets flamed (as those posts get read by others too), but I think we even have a forum rule to discourage that now

I can understand why people ignore the threads altogether, though. There's merit in that too

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2018 at 01:56 PM.
01-14-2018, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Yes, as I mentioned above, that's basically my reason for responding in those threads. Of course, it's equally harmful to us when the angry leaver gets flamed (as those posts get read by others to), but I think we even have a forum rule to discourage that now

I can understand why people ignore the threads altogether, though. There's merit in that too
ANother thing to keep in mind, I never object when someone explains something from a different perspective. I know how I think about a given topic. Sometimes someone else explains it a different way. Who knows which explanation will be the one that clicks with the OP? It's quite possible he/she will read 10 explanations, and one of them will click. The one that will make the most sense will be the one that most closely approximates how that person is thinking about the issue.

That becomes a problem when a, people are just looking for an excuse to justify switching. That's a problem because they are not consciously asking for help, they are asking us to approve their decision. Since all of us are for the most part Pentax users, we have made other choices.

The second problem is in-accurate information. I have no idea how people end up assuming that because they have read a few internet articles, they are now qualified to spread their beliefs as facts. This is compounded by individual assumptions about best.

I was reading the stats about flickr use. Now we are always hearing about how Pentax and Canon have better AF. The most popular Canon camera on flickr if memory serves well is camera that shoots at 3 fps. It does not have as good AF as any currently sold Pentax, it doesn't shoot at as high an FPS as any currently sold Pentax. Canon and Nikon have better AF and FPS than Pentax in some models, but not the one you are likely to buy if you are an average Joe. This is the type of inaccuracy that is most difficult to deal with. You can argue that Sony, Canon and Nikon make higher performance models, but you also must agree that most people who buy those brands don't buy those models, and in fact most people are being steered to models that are not in any way competitive with Pentax, because they think they think those companies are just better at everything. Most of the people who post about the advantages of other brands, just completely leave that part out.

As forum user, sorting through all this can be frustrating. We don't have images, we can't evaluate what the person's problem is, we are dealing with unstated assumptions that may or may not be true. Much of the time people are just trying to figure out what the question really is.

It's hard work trying to help folks out.

From my reading, a huge percentage of Canon users would be better off spending their money on a Pentax. They'd get more for it. But all we here is Sony Canon and Nikon have better ________ (insert the feature of choice) as if those choices are the only choices of interest when selecting a camera.

Obviously if someone is looking at an 1Dx for birds in flight, no one is going to say "buy Pentax." On the other hand if they are looking at Canon Rebel t6i which is a really popular camera we might be able to come up with a better package for them.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2018 at 10:17 AM.
01-14-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

why some people post vitriolic good-bye messages on the forums. What does it achieve for them?
Often enough it is a not-too-subtle expression of superiority (e.g. "so long suckers") when, in fact, what is shown is inadequate market research, unreasonable expectation, and/or ignorance of the craft. My honest response is usually something like "I hope that you are able to get what you need from another brand." Many of us know the pleasure of purchasing something that "just feels right" in every way and it is my wish that all derive that pleasure, if possible, from our photography gear.

Steve
01-14-2018, 12:49 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
but for many of us the relationship with our gear is more personal than with, say, a hammer or a stapler.
I am sorry, but I am pretty picky about both hammers and staplers.

...mine is black, however...

Steve
01-14-2018, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Psychology of the "Good-bye, Pentax!!" drive-by posters?
Two words: "Drama queen."
01-14-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

(:
LOL Yeah, but there are hordes waiting for us to be over-zealous. It's a fine line...
BigMackCam... I think the forum should actually create an 'Opus' section. Any time someone goes on one of these rants just move their thread to there as a shining example of what not to do. You don't have to close it, just label it and shine a light on it as an example of bad behavior.

I think having an Opus Section as part of the lounge or whatever will dissuade a lot more people than you think from engaging in that behavior.
01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
BigMackCam... I think the forum should actually create an 'Opus' section. Any time someone goes on one of these rants just move their thread to there as a shining example of what not to do. You don't have to close it, just label it and shine a light on it as an example of bad behavior.

I think having an Opus Section as part of the lounge or whatever will dissuade a lot more people than you think from engaging in that behavior.
That's above my pay grade (that grade being "Zero" )... More Adam's territory
01-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
Pentaxian

That's above my pay grade (that grade being "Zero" )... More Adam's territory
We can ask him to do it. I asked him to create the Full Frame section way back when every third topic turned into a Full Frame discussion.

I really do think having a dedicated Opus section will promote better behavior. By and large we have a really great group of people here regardless of what brand of camera they use or end up switching to. That said bad behavior needs to be called out.

It's simple... people write a big long mean opus, the mods can just move their thread over to that section.
01-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
It's simple... people write a big long mean opus, the mods can just move their thread over to that section.
I can't deny, I rather like the idea

If Adam goes with your suggestion and informs us mods, I certainly won't argue...