Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

@Adam I think the forum here has an almost universal consensus that we don't like that kind of stuff. I think the Opus Section will be a way to show new or various members how they should or shouldn't behave on the forum. 95% of the forum acts in a fairly decent manner... but from time to time we need to keep community standards in effect.

01-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I can't deny, I rather like the idea

If Adam goes with your suggestion and informs us mods, I certainly won't argue...
I like the idea too! Hear! Hear!

Steve
01-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
BigMackCam... I think the forum should actually create an 'Opus' section. Any time someone goes on one of these rants just move their thread to there as a shining example of what not to do. You don't have to close it, just label it and shine a light on it as an example of bad behavior.

I think having an Opus Section as part of the lounge or whatever will dissuade a lot more people than you think from engaging in that behavior.
I think Rupert started a Jumpers thread for this express purpose. I kinda think that is too close to standing on the sidewalk encouraging the poor fool to . . . Jump
01-14-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #34
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
BigMackCam... I think the forum should actually create an 'Opus' section. Any time someone goes on one of these rants just move their thread to there as a shining example of what not to do. You don't have to close it, just label it and shine a light on it as an example of bad behavior.

I think having an Opus Section as part of the lounge or whatever will dissuade a lot more people than you think from engaging in that behavior.
I would agree with this.

Often the type of emotion that generates this type of thing is similar to young children. Stomping their feet, clenching fists, holding breath, squawking loudly to anyone who will listen.

And for many, the quality of their output rarely improves with any change in gear.

It ain't what you got, it's how you use it.

01-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think Rupert started a Jumpers thread for this express purpose. I kinda think that is too close to standing on the sidewalk encouraging the poor fool to . . . Jump
A thread with 2000 replies is one thing... I don't even pay attention to most of them (barring the photo sharing ones) after they reach 10-20 posts.

Having a section where the mods could move a thread to though... that will be golden. Nobody could go around saying 'they banned me, closed my account, blah blah blah'... but they would get the hint that the behavior isn't proper.
01-14-2018, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Over the years I've been a member here, I've noticed several different types of "goodbye" poster, mainly:
  1. The low-poster, who possibly joins just to be able to denigrate the brand. They may well be doing a similar thing elsewhere, in which case they're just trolling – a mentally disturbed or highly immature person, who probably spends an inordinate amount of time posting on Twitter;
  2. A former contributor who becomes disenchanted because of a genuine belief that the gear is holding them back. They will usually engage in rational discussion about the issue(s), so there's no need to question their motives or psychological health, especially if they stick around and post useful things because they enjoy the sense of community here; and
  3. A contributor who changes their gear and then comes back time and again to tell you they've done so, and either directly or indirectly tells all and sundry how stupid, blind or intellectually inferior they are for not doing the same. They may be talented photographers, or not. Fortunately, such people are in the minority, like most people with a narcissistic personality disorder, or the like.
01-15-2018, 05:29 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
...for many of us the relationship with our gear is more personal than with, say, a hammer or a stapler. So there is more of an emotional reaction when we find new gear that we feel may be "better" or "more capable" -...
I inherited my hammer from my (deceased) grandfather. I named it Winona, and it is among my very most treasured possessions. I'd trade my camera gear twice over to get her back. (well maybe not twice over, but close!)