Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A timely drone acquisition

Like a lot of people I've an interest in drones. The footage can be really engaging and the variety of uses people are finding for them is becoming broader and broader

A news story from today is about drones being trialed for use in a role that can help save lives. The first drone in the fleet was launched (pun intended) today and has already been used to help people in need.

The details with some pics and video are here: Drone rescues teens just hours after being unveiled for trial at Lennox Head - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Tas

01-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

something that I am sure responsible drone operators think of

a lot of photography may give rise to privacy issues

a drone with a camera readily comes to mind - I am not saying not to utilize the " latest and greatest " technology, but please be aware of the issue

as well as the safety issue that could arise from where you choose to operate a drone

more and more comments are appearing about drones and aircraft and the possible danger that can arise

and there is the issue of failure - how heavy are they and what is the effect of an object of that weight dropping from the sky onto a person or object?
01-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
a lot of photography may give rise to privacy issues

a drone with a camera readily comes to mind - I am not saying not to utilize the " latest and greatest " technology, but please be aware of the issue

as well as the safety issue that could arise from where you choose to operate a drone

more and more comments are appearing about drones and aircraft and the possible danger that can arise

and there is the issue of failure - how heavy are they and what is the effect of an object of that weight dropping from the sky onto a person or object?
Allen, I see where you're going with your statements, but the post is about the fortuitous acquisition of a drone, used offshore in a professional context, to save people's lives.
01-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Allen, I see where you're going with your statements, but the post is about the fortuitous acquisition of a drone, used offshore in a professional context, to save people's lives.
no problem with all uses of a drone

as you point out some can be life saving

but you did express a " general " interest in drones

I meant no offense

01-18-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Australia has the legislation and processes in place to police the usage of large drones and will do so where necessary. It is not open slather here as it is in some legislature

Flying drones/remotely piloted aircraft in Australia | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

$850 Drone fine: CASA using YouTube to identify illegal drone use – EFTM

etc etc