Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #31
Damn Brit

I'm in the same camp as Gooshin - Psy Trance (in the summer anyway). But I like music across the board , I have been a DJ on and off for thirty years so I was mostly focused on dance music.
My first love was Motown, "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder was the first album I ever bought.
One of my favourite bands is Ozric Tentacles who manage to combine rock and dance music better than any band I know. I can get high just listening to them. They are the only band I've been able to take my dogs to see play.
My favourite band is Linkin Park. I'm in my forties and they are the first band that I have felt really speak for me.
I will listen to anything that is good but Jazz is the music I always turn to. Some of my heroes are, Donald Byrd, Gil Scott Heron (who invented rap by the way, but not as we know it), Charlie Watts (I know he's in the Stones but he is an awesome jazz drummer),Miles Davis, Django Reinhardt, Herbie Hancock.

Update: One fairly new band I have been listening to a lot are Gogol Bordello, Gypsy Punk is probably the best way to describe their music. Man, they really have some energy, can't wait to see them live.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-02-2008 at 12:38 AM.
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, Jackie Leven, John Martyn if I want words, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Jan Garbarek if I don't. Having said that, Fleet Foxes are playing in the background as I type...
09-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
TO THE NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT:

Arpe has personally confided in me and in several others of his love for not only the abovementioned musicians, but also for Dave Dobbyn and The Herbs, especially that magnum opus, "Slice of Heaven", the words of which he has assured me he has memorised all the words.

In light of the the evidence I have provided, there should be no need to exile Arpe to Australia.
*sigh* guilty as charged
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, Jackie Leven, John Martyn if I want words, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Jan Garbarek if I don't. Having said that, Fleet Foxes are playing in the background as I type...
Add Leo Kottke & Phil Glass to that list for me? Paco de Lucia, Stefan Grossman, and John Renbourn to that list too. Charlie Daniels, Donovan (sometimes) Beck, and Patsy Cline for vocals. Steely Dan, Steve Earle as well. Greateful dead/Jerry Garcia on acoustic is great too.

XTC (someone already got Split Enz, damn, the only NZ band to make it big ), Flock of Seagulls, Joy Division, Talking Heads, The Church (great Aussie band), The Police. Billy Bragg, Brian Eno/Daniel Lanois (U2, not so much) and Beta Band. Sonic Youth, Smiths, Clash (that's a given isn't it?).

Erik Satie, Mozart, Brahms, Handel (woot!), and Vivaldi of course. Andrew York and Los Angeles Guitar Quartet for guitar (along with Pat, Leo, and Michael Gordon). Arvo Part for really depressing days.

Acid House Kings, Architecture in Helsinki, Apples in Stereo, Beachwood sparks!!! Essex Green!!!, Ladybug Transistor, Sambassadeur, Of Montreal, Pedro the Lion, Rocky Votolato, Voxtrot, Wolf Parade. (have a listen to all, some amazing psych pop, especially Beachwood and Sambassadeur)

Recently been on a Brazilian psychedelic rock kick, there's a huge amount of 60's and 70's stuff that will blow your mind -- Bango, Os Incríveis, The Clevers, I can go on...

The Byrds have a special place on my playlists, along with Flying Burrito Brothers, Otis Redding, Orbital, Pearl Jam, and Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" has to be one of the best albums of all time

Oh hell, I can't list them all, it sometimes sucks living right next to a few thousand square foot used cd/record store..

09-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Who else is a Rammstein fan?

Hier kommt die Sonne...
09-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #36
Banned

I don't play with genres and sub-genres, so its simple for me. any rock music from the late 50's through the early 80's. just about any artist or band you can name I likely own at least one of their records. I also really love the blues, in particular Delta 'folk' blues. I also really like classical, and a bit of blue grass. my other big music love is Irish folk & traditional instrumental. beyond that I am always open to new music, and have been known to listen to just about everything. I don't turn something away based on genre. I am always open to exploring new music.

and by the way, this... is bitchin' I envy you so freaking much.
09-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #37

lots of local stuff for me.

Clock Strikes Music.

09-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #38
Inactive Account

doom metal(russian and british), thrash (floridian), rock (ledzep, sab, motorhead, etc), us deathmetal, new age and jazz.
09-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Iron Maiden

c[_]
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Classic rock, Southern rock (Donnie Van Zant of .38 Special gave me the nickname Straightshooter), folk, swing, country, anything by the Eagles or Bob Seger; Celtic Woman, etc. I'll listen to just about any music except rap and techno in whatever forms they take.

CW
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I'm all over the place when it comes to music. My wife and I have a substantial music collection on CD, vinyl and mp3. The mp3 currently loaded in my jeep have every genre you can think of. Waylon Jennings, Southern Culture on the Skids, Blondie, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Black Oak Arkansas, Flatt and Scruggs, Lacy Jay Dalton & the Dalton Gang, Hank Williams Jr., Enya, Wet Willie, Alexander Balanescu, Venus Hum, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Jerry Reid, Bobby Bare, Clarence Carter, P-Funk, Ozark Mountain Dare Devils. That just scratches the surface of what's in the Jeep.

On the way home I'm going to listen to some Hank Williams Jr. turned up as loud as it will go.
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
XTC (someone already got Split Enz, damn, the only NZ band to make it big )
Crowded House not big anough for ya? (really a Kiwi/Oz combo). I've got XTC too, one of those guys was a kiwi (I think) and his son now runs The Veils.
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
doom metal(russian and british)...
I take it you are no stranger to Rossomahaar?

Regards,
D
09-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm mostly into classic rock, but I'll listen to anything as long as it's not Kid Rock's "Summertime"...

Every time I hear the opening I thing "Werewolves of London" and instead get a crappy ripoff of a classic tune...

Well, I guess "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" is up there too...

Both of em make me turn off the radio.
09-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
Forum Member

Maiden....

[QUOTE=ll_coffee_lP;332702]Iron Maiden

What a Great Band, Maiden Rules!