Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #46
Forum Member

That was a tough shot,had to smuggle the camera and 200mm into the Kingdome, then stood on a Garbage can to get it.
But I can always say i saw Zeppelin.....

04-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #47

Eclectic...

Pretty much anything will do, except commercial R&B crap.

Lots of stuff from the nineties (Pixies, Ride, Boo radleys, High llamas, The Cult), then some electronic music every now and then(french band Air, mostly).

Classical music (that's what I was originally educated to), and Blues from the Delta.

All in all, I believe life's worthless without music. With photography, it's the most powerful emotion vector to me.

- Vince
04-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm another odd-man out it seems; although I'll listen happily to a number of genres (including several of the pop bands mentioned in this thread), I'm really devoted to jazz from bebop to the present - names like Parker, Miles Davis, Monk, Coltrane, Desmond, Michael Brecker, Art Blakey, Larry Goldings, Joe Locke, Josh Redman . . . .

It's tough to dig jazz in SE Texas, which is dominated by country, conventional blues and of course, the usual commercial rock, rap, R&B, et. al. Although Houston has a few jazz-oriented venues and there's some reasonable local talent (the Crusaders came from Houston, after all), it's simply not a jazz town.

Thank goodness for satellite radio.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-16-2009 at 06:58 AM.
04-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Or you're listnening some other kind of music?
I'm listnenig mostly rock, and by that I mean hard rock
AC/DC is my favourite band, and then everything similar (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, UFO, and so on...) including british metal wave (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc.)
And there comes a bit of blues, soul, funk... actually, everything with good rhythm, but as long as people are playing and not electronic things and stuff (techno, rave)
Anyway, I would say I'm rocker
Do you rock? Or you're blues? Punk? Classic? Folk?
I would say that I am a rock and roller as well. The great majority of the music I listen to most often is directly rooted in rock and roll. But I am the guy around the forum with more than 2,000 records and compact discs from something like 500 different rock and roll, rock, country and western and easy listening artists among the categories or genres.
If anyone would like to expand on this subject and create another music thread to encourage more of my opinions and music lists, I am sure I would be happy to brag some more about my first hobby.

04-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I listen to damn near everything except "twangy C&W" and rap. And there are occasional exceptions even there. Once in awhile the list includes opera, but not often.

AC/DC, Zeppelin, Queen, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Americana, Rush, the list goes on & on & on... I have no idea how many CDs we own

I also love listening to reggae, though I don't own any (our cable tv system has a lot of digital music channels, that one is my favorite). And Blues. Great thing about these is that they have all the music and play the good stuff, and I don't have to spend time & money buying the good stuff and trying to avoid the mediocre stuff.

My most unusual favorite genre is bluegrass rock-n-roll. Can you picture AC/DC "Highway to Hell" with banjo-pickin' and hillbilly vocals? Check out the Hayseed Dixie website (their story at Hayseed Dixie - Genesis). And I will *NOT* apologize to anyone for inflicting that on your ears

Oh yeah, lots of music from movie soundtracks, and college marching bands (one of 'em especially), and classical, and jazz, and .............

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 04-16-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added stuff
04-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #51
graphicgr8s

Rock N Roll here for sure. But the old stuff. Do they make music anymore? Let me rephrase: Do they make any GOOD music anymore?
04-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cam Traviss Quote
That was a tough shot,had to smuggle the camera and 200mm into the Kingdome, then stood on a Garbage can to get it.
But I can always say i saw Zeppelin.....
Saw Zep at the old Capital Center back east when I was a kid - my auntie took me when she was suppose to be watching me. I remember her & her pals were rolling their own "cigarettes" to save money.... 1975ish

My last Kingdome concert was U2's tour in.. 97 I think. Someone involved with the show ran over their laptop with a rental car. We recovered the DATA and found an identical laptop to setup for him in a matter of a few hours. He paid his very high rush expedite bill and coughed up 14 tickets to the show as a tip. I think we were like 8 rows from the stage.

As for music I like just about everything except Techno, Rap, & modern cookie cutter pop. Opera I love in person - but don't listen to it otherwise (FYI Seattle residents, never give your number to the Seattle Opera House - they will call you more than a lovesick teen trying to get donations), country & bluegrass, traditional blues, classic rock, jazz, heavy metal, folk music, etc... Also been playing guitar for a while, though I recently got rid of all of them except the trusty old Martin when I moved.

At this very moment I am listening to a mostly acoustic song called "Rusty" by a band called "Southern Death Threat" - while I have my coffee and get my gear together to go on a trail run.

Last edited by Rustyoldbug; 04-16-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: big fat typo
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Can't get out of the early 90's myself... according to windows media player, the most songs I've got are by Pearl Jam, followed closely by Queensryche. I prefer Pearl Jam if only because I can sing along with them in the car. Geoff Tate (Queensryche) hits notes I can't touch with a 10 foot pole, so they're not as fun to listen to. They used to put on awesome live shows, too.

Other than those two, alternative stuff I've always turned back to are bands like Toad the Wet Sprocket, Def Leppard (most everything other than Pyromania - I think all the classic rock stations way overdo "Photograph" - I hate that track because of it)

After that, it's instrumental stuff. Soundtracks (The Last Samurai is my latest acquisition, Lord of the Rings soundtracks were great but I overplayed it myself...) - and some new age/space music thrown in. (if you like that sort of thing, I highly recommend the program called "Hearts of Space" on public radio. Usually plays on Sunday nights at 11 on my local station.
Pyromania... boy, that brings back memories!! 1985... wore the cassette out as well as the album.

I'm a fan of the long hair bands of the 80's as well as the classic rock groups that everyone has listed.
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'm mostly into classic rock, but I'll listen to anything as long as it's not Kid Rock's "Summertime"...

Every time I hear the opening I thing "Werewolves of London" and instead get a crappy ripoff of a classic tune...

Well, I guess "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" is up there too...

Both of em make me turn off the radio.
LOL!! Me too! And they play the hell out of the Kid Rock one.
04-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I tend to everything, myself. Big band, swing, jazz, blues, 50s, 60s, 70s...dance, disco, a capella, rock, metal, death metal, classic rock, polka, folk, zydeco...I like it all

There is no good or bad styles, just good or bad songs.
04-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #56
Veteran Member

According to my last.fm page, my top 10 artists are:

1. The Mountain Goats
2. Belle & Sebastian
3. Max Richter
4. Pulp
5. Andrew Bird
6. My Morning Jacket
7. Pavement
8. mclusky (who I usually call my favorite band)
9. Chad VanGaalen
10. Blur

But I'd throw Mastodon, Wolves in the Throne Room, Boris, etc, in there for extra rockin'.
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Funny, I was just digging through cassettes looking for things I hadn't heard in a while. Found some Rollins Band, Pailhead, Fugazi, L7, some fun punk rock stuff... Haven't heard much good on the radio in ten years or more. Always loved Australian rock from the 80s, anything with some atmosphere to it, really.

Let's see, I like some of the gothy--industrialish stuff out of Europe of a few years back, (I was really into VNV Nation for a while, there) Any good old Goth-spectrum stuff I can still take half-seriously... Derivatives thereof like Siouxsie and Peter Murphy and Love and Rockets and all... Umm, like Belly/Throwing Muses, Fun and silly stuff like the Misfits and the Damned once in a while.

Springsteen... Classic rock that's well-mentioned... also mostly overplayed in these times when popular rock is kind of deforested. The Dead, definitely.

Good old alternative like Mission of Burma and Sebadoh... Ned's Atomic Dustbin... Various Irish/Celtic rock.. Surf.

Stuff.

Various rockin' ness.
04-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I WANNA ROCK!!!!!

He he he
Pat
04-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Hey, if they can't rock, who can?
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Sometimes I like to rock hill billy style. Rock-a-billy anyone?

YouTube - Black Oak Arkansas - When Electricity Came to Arkansas & Dixie

YouTube - Black Oak Arkansas taxman

YouTube - Black Oak Arkansas - Hot Rod