Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 12:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Here's a package the eBay seller said was going to be send USPS Priority. It was instead sent FedEX Sure Post

Attachment 385778

This seller is not getting nice feedback.
I hate FedEx "Surepost!" What a lie of a name. USPS is always faster since it doesn't have at least two extra stops ion the way and usually goes by air. Poor feedback is deserved.

02-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The final leg and delivery to your door for the Japan item was by USPS, wasn't it?

Chris
It was on my porch when I got home, so I am not sure who made the final delivery to my house, and the package itself has no clues.
02-02-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
It was on my porch when I got home, so I am not sure who made the final delivery to my house, and the package itself has no clues.
Unless you used a premium delivery or courier service
after arrival in USA it was of course picked up and delivered by USPS.

Chris
02-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Package delivery

Unless you used a premium delivery or courier service
after arrival in USA it was of course picked up and delivered by USPS.

Chris
It was initially consigned to Japanese post, and I assume that the USPS was the ultimate domestic deliverer, but since I was not home for the delivery I cannot personally verify that. I am definitely not complaining!

02-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I send about 100 personal packages a year. I use USPS Priority Mail exclusively. I use their (free) pre-printed boxes, purchase my postage and print my label at home on their (free) website. When I print my label it clearly states 1-Day or 2-Day Delivery on the top. I leave the package on my doorstep and my carrier picks it up (for free) when my mail is delivered. Their On-Time Delivery is nearly perfect.

USPS emails me tracking scans and also updates their (free) mobile app in real time, as well as notifying me and updating their app when an inbound package is delivered to my home.

I’ve never had the bad experiences you all seem to have had with USPS.
02-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Package was sent first class in a bubble mailer. I have no idea why it would have gone from the Syracuse facility, which as I said is 1.2 miles from my house, to Rochester 76 miles away, and then back. If it had been sent third class or bulk it would have gone to Albany.
They might have dropped the trailer in Syracuse to unload overnight deliveries and sent it to Rochester to ferry whatever back to Syracuse. It doesn't matter if something goes back and forth between two distribution centers twice, provided it's delivered in time, which would I imagine favor collecting/distributing overnight deliveries. Or it could have something to do with driver/dock worker availability. Or someone just messed up. I don't think bouncing between distribution centers implies any particular situation though.
02-03-2018, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Economy shipping

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I hate FedEx "Surepost!" What a lie of a name. USPS is always faster since it doesn't have at least two extra stops ion the way and usually goes by air. Poor feedback is deserved.

FedEx and UPS use USPS for "the last mile" and delivery to your mailbox of some packages.
The final handoff to USPS invariably adds another delay which no doubt USPS will be blamed for.

Chris

02-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

FedEx and UPS use USPS for "the last mile" and delivery to your mailbox of some packages.
The final handoff to USPS invariably adds another delay which no doubt USPS will be blamed for.

Chris
My package from Adorama is less than 40 miles away but it will make it on time because it is UPS all the way and those drivers know my house. My latest Ebay purchase was in Minneapolis yesterday but will probably be here by Tuesday at the latest.

My Amazon package is in the same location as my Adorama package but will be using USPS for the last leg so Tuesday. (I hope.) It may actually get delivered to my local post office 1/2 mile away Monday but they can't just drive by the house and leave it. LOL
02-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I had a package delivered USPS Priority from Albuquerque, NM. Dropped off on 1/31 and delivered on 2/2. The FedEx SurePost delivery from FL only had one more stop in PA before making it to Syracuse. The mailman delivered it at the same time as the package from NM. It only took 2 extra days...(Dropped off at FexEx on 1/29)

I have a package coming USPS Priority from Indianapolis, the post office didn't get it until 11:57 PM on Friday so it won't be here until Monday...
02-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

YOU TOO?!?

Priority Mail has been an absolute joke for me the last month or so. Just dreadful. I now pay extra for UPS or FedEx when I'm given the chance; it's gotten so bad I almost don't want to shop at place that ship with USPS. I certainly can't use it for anything I need quickly. Here's my last six packages:

(1) Sent 1/9, arrived 1/17 (8 days)
(2) Sent 1/16, arrived 1/22 (6 days)
(3) Sent 1/16, arrived 1/26 (10 days)
(4) Sent 1/22, arrived 1/27 (5 days)
(5) Sent 2/1, not here yet (was to arrive today)
(6) Sent 1/31, not here yet (was to arrive yesterday, so 7+ days for this one)

---------- Post added 02-03-18 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ve never had the bad experiences you all seem to have had with USPS.
You are lucky. In addition to my struggles above, they lost two of my friends packages, mashed another friend's box and took 8 days to deliver the pieces, and screwed up a 3rd friend's packages. This is all in the last 3-4 weeks too.
02-04-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't count non-business days nor days after label was created but item not in USPS possession.
Nearly all of my Priority Mail parcels are delivered on or within a day of the projected delivery date.

Do not confuse Priority Mail with Express Mail, which is USPS premium service.
USPS Priority Mail prices are competitive with UPS Ground and FedEx Home,
their economy services.

Chris
02-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't count non-business days nor days after label was created but item not in USPS possession.
Nearly all of my Priority Mail parcels are delivered on or within a day of the projected delivery date.

their economy services.

Chris
Priority mail is the parcel version of First Class mail. That is why if it is going a long distance, it will go by air rather than ground. (Usually 500-600 miles.)

Express will do whatever to get it there on time, barring weather catastrophes.

It seems that less than 500 miles can take as long, or longer than a cross country jaunt. The time of day your package arrives at a regional distribution center seems to make a difference in arrival times also.
02-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

their economy services.

Chris
Mail does move on Sundays. It's just not delivered. And I counted from the day it left the shipper.

Priority Mail is advertised as "2-3 days." Clearly not so anymore.
02-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Mail does move on Sundays. It's just not delivered. And I counted from the day it left the shipper.

Priority Mail is advertised as "2-3 days." Clearly not so anymore.
My package that got mailed on the 2nd, is at the distribution center here in Maine and will be at my house tomorrow. That is three days including weekends. And I do not live anywhere near what passes for a large town or city. It is 18 miles to the nearest town with more than 4000 people and they are not where my mail is routed through.
02-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My package that got mailed on the 2nd, is at the distribution center here in Maine and will be at my house tomorrow. That is three days including weekends. And I do not live anywhere near what passes for a large town or city. It is 18 miles to the nearest town with more than 4000 people and they are not where my mail is routed through.
I live in Houston. Everything was mailed to me from major cities: New York, Detroit, Providence, Boise. Shouldn't take a week+ to get something from New York to Houston. And yet it's been three times of that!