Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharing sensitive information?

Hey... quick question;

I have new business cards, I was gonna take a nice picture of them in a business card holder, perhaps use as a cover photo/image for my fb page, flickr etc, then it occurred to me... "Hmm.... should I be concerned with an image on the internet with my phone number and website pages? I mean... I do mean to advertise myself, the information on the card is already 'out there', but perhaps just not out there as a jpg...

Thoughts?

I don't want to blur or blank the deets as that destroys the image/concept...

02-01-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
your decision

but as you say, such information is already " out there "

As an example, I take the position generally that the only computer safe from hacking is one not hooked up to the internet currently and has never been hooked up to the internet

so you use encryption and other " protection " devices and services

yet there is no 100 % guaranty you won't be hacked.

IOW, there are things you take precautions against but while doing so realize that despite your best efforts such precautions could fail.

what is the difference between such information being " out there " in its current form and the same information being out there as a jpg???

I don't see any
02-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As you hand out those cards to possible customers, that information is being put “out there”. Someone will take a phone pic of your card at some point and pass it along to someone else as a jpg.

You are essentially putting yourself out there as a business. I always had a separate “private” phone number that wasn’t associated with business. It gave me that separation.
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're right to think about potential risks and appropriate precautions but If you're in business you have to advertise--right?

02-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool thanks peeps. Yeh I couldn't come up with a specific reason not to, and it appears no one else here can either, so I think I'll do it.

Ta!

Bruce
02-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can have a card that only mentions your business email address or URL of your website that has a contact form.

No phone number, you just write that on the back of the card as needed when meeting someone.

02-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can have a card that only mentions your business email address or URL of your website that has a contact form.

No phone number, you just write that on the back of the card as needed when meeting someone.
Nice idea. As someone who has had specific sales experience tho a phone number is preferable to email (that is if you know how to conduct yourself on the phone of course). My card actually has no email, only my number and site addresses (which of course have email contact points there). My future card will also be double sided, anyhow thanks for contributing

02-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice idea. As someone who has had specific sales experience tho a phone number is preferable to email (that is if you know how to conduct yourself on the phone of course). My card actually has no email, only my number and site addresses (which of course have email contact points there). My future card will also be double sided, anyhow thanks for contributing
Personally, I think first contact should be by email, screening out the time wasters, reserving phone conversations for real leads.

02-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the day when I ran my own operation, I never handed out business cards

instead:

" Have a book mark "

is what I would say

book marks are helpful, business cards just get thrown away

strange my book marks was the same size and had the same info as what was on a business card
02-01-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Implicitly saying "YOU are so damn important, I'm giving YOU my phone number". Plus, if you don't actually want to hear from them, you can put down the phone number of an off-track betting agent.
02-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Don't put anything on a business card that you wouldn't consider public information. Do you have a separate business phone number?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Back in the day when I ran my own operation, I never handed out business cards

instead:

" Have a book mark "

is what I would say

book marks are helpful, business cards just get thrown away

strange my book marks was the same size and had the same info as what was on a business card
I don't have high hopes for business cards, never have. I'm just getting to the point that now when I offer to take random portrait shots of people (street photography, folk in parks, folk at work outdoors etc) I'd like to give them something also to help them feel secure that I am not just a creep but a talented creep lol. It helps spread word of mouth and that's my main intention, to have a few on my person at all times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't put anything on a business card that you wouldn't consider public information. Do you have a separate business phone number?
Nah I don't, but then spam is spam, getting annoying calls to a business number is I guess as bad as to yer personal. I only did a small run, $20 spent, will see how I go, numbers can be added and changed on future runs if need be.
02-01-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey... quick question;

I have new business cards, I was gonna take a nice picture of them in a business card holder, perhaps use as a cover photo/image for my fb page, flickr etc, then it occurred to me... "Hmm.... should I be concerned with an image on the internet with my phone number and website pages? I mean... I do mean to advertise myself, the information on the card is already 'out there', but perhaps just not out there as a jpg...

Thoughts?

I don't want to blur or blank the deets as that destroys the image/concept...
If you really want to advertise your business, then the price you pay is putting your business information out in the wild. It's not hard to keep your business info separate from your personal info.
02-01-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have high hopes for business cards, never have. I'm just getting to the point that now when I offer to take random portrait shots of people (street photography, folk in parks, folk at work outdoors etc) I'd like to give them something also to help them feel secure that I am not just a creep but a talented creep lol. It helps spread word of mouth and that's my main intention, to have a few on my person at all times.
I do the same, actually--email address and a link to my SmugMug gallery plus my avatar photo and "Pentax Photography for fun" just to make it clear that I do not want to shoot their wedding ! I'll write a phone number on the back if that feels appropriate.
02-01-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Implicitly saying "YOU are so damn important, I'm giving YOU my phone number". Plus, if you don't actually want to hear from them, you can put down the phone number of an off-track betting agent.
(Laughs)

I have printed off a separate card with that betting agent's number ... I use it when running into ex-wives and debt collectors, which can be six or seven times a day. Reminds me, I must reorder a new box of 500!

Last edited by clackers; 02-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.