Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Hyundai has a 5 year 60000 mile bumper to bumper, I am in the 100K powertrain warrantee period now but She has been bulletproof other than two recalls to check an evap canister mount and to verify a spot of undercoating. Their 5 year roadside assistance consists of towing and gas or jump starting but is for the full five years, regardless of mileage.

For Used I would go to a Carmax dealership if you have one nearby, no hassles, no haggling, either you like it and think it is worth the price, or go find a different car on the lot.

02-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
CVT transmissions did have a lot of problem when introduced. Most manufacturers seem to have ironed out the problems with them. You can still get a Subaru Forester with a manual transmission. My wife is a big Subaru fan. Been driving them for 18 years now. She got a new Outback last April. Before that two Foresters. The Subaru AWD is probably the best on the market. They have been at it for a long time. I am a big fan of it.
Oh yes, no question that Subaru is certainly a high quality name. Regarding CVT Trannies, I did discover that the Toyota Corollas have never had any issues with their CVT Transmissions. We both hate to have to leave Honda and buy elsewhere. We have been driving Hondas since 1982 and have really enjoyed them a great deal. Certainly many options available out there, however another small car is just not in the cards this time around. Seems as though you have my gears turning again so I believe I will do some hard research on the 2016 &17 Accords and see what their experience ratings are concerning the CVTs. Wish they never came out with them. They were created by a lot of pressure from the US Government to get more favorable fuel economy ratings.

Thanks a million.

TT
02-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to remember that the early CVTs were originally fitted to DAF vehicles around 60 years ago. One might have thought the might be pretty bullet proof by now.
02-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Our son bought a new Jeep in 2014 with a CVT transmission. Believe the transmission is made in Japan and supplied to different makes. Had overheat issues. Couldn't trust it on highway drives. He traded in fairly quickly on a pickup truck of another make and made sure the new truck didn't have a CVT transmission before he bought it. Lot's of different makes use CVT transmissions and to me, the jury is out.

02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not buy anything with a CVT transmission. I prefer manual, but otherwise an auto with a lock up torque converter will do. CVT's are simply not as reliable (under load) as other transmissions. But, I struggle to understand your consumer laws. Here, we'd take a case to our version of the Small Claims Court and win faster than you can say CVT if a dealer refused to repair or replace a dud transmission.
02-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My Hyundai has a 5 year 60000 mile bumper to bumper, I am in the 100K powertrain warrantee period now but She has been bulletproof other than two recalls to check an evap canister mount and to verify a spot of undercoating. Their 5 year roadside assistance consists of towing and gas or jump starting but is for the full five years, regardless of mileage.

For Used I would go to a Carmax dealership if you have one nearby, no hassles, no haggling, either you like it and think it is worth the price, or go find a different car on the lot.
Which model Hyundai do you drive?

Thnx,

Tony
02-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I've got a 2015 Chevy Impala...the newer style. It's on an extended wheelbase large car, GM Epsilon II platform, which was mostly designed by Opel in Germany. The Cadillac, big Buick (LaCrosse) and Impala use this extended chassis. The Epsilon platform is in various sizes both for GM Euro and North American cars.

We've had ours since 2015 and in 42,000 kms have not had it in for more than oil , filter changes and tire rotations. Not one issue. The transmission is a regular (non CVT) style front wheel drive, 6 speed automatic. Believe both GM and Ford co designed this transmission and also the 10 speed rear wheel drive (non CVT) auto transmission that is used in both GM/Ford rear wheel drive platforms.

We have the 3.6 liter DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder V6 (305 hp) naturally aspirated fuel injection engine. Sort of a detuned base Camaro engine. Acceleration, high speed cruising, braking and handling are great. BTW, you can also get the 2.5 liter dohc 4 cylinder. The Epsilon ll platform has won a number of awards.

Gas mileage is quite good for a car this size and an engine displacement. It moves out well. I need a large car as at just under 6' 4" and 240 lbs...I just don't fit well in most cars. Shoulders hit the inside pillars of vehicles, head hits head liner...can't get seat back far enough for leg comfort. I have a bit of a wonky knee from a decade of ice hockey, playing defense when I was a kid. Canadian eh. I fit with room to spare in our Impala.

Trunk room is enormous and we can add by putting the rear seat down.

If you're looking for a large car (probably not, I know) I would recommend you take a new Impala out for a test run.

02-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The Internet is a bad place to assess the reliability of a particular brand of vehicle. The people who post tend to be those who got a lemon and are pretty disgruntled --either with the company or with the dealer that sold them the care or both.
Yes. If 2 brands are equal quality, whichever one sells more will probably have more online complaints.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
You are correct about my Honda Civic having a long life ahead of it. However, my wife and I are not seventeen anymore so at our ages, being bounced around in a vehicle that is 24 years old, can and will take its toll on extended road trips. Better to ride in something more supportive and comfortable.
The suspension on my 1999 VW Passat surprisingly still feels near brand new. Only shocks/struts and some other minor wear parts have been replaced. It still corners well and long trips are comfortable. The car is near end of life due to fading engine power and general wear. Next big repair and the car goes - I've been saying that for 3 years.

That was the first car I was able to keep garaged rather than parked in the elements. I think it slowed aging a lot.

The dealership told her they would not affect repairs because it "Costs too much money."
My righteous anger would cost them more I know how to make myself a pest, if required, without crossing into actions that will get me arrested.
02-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Which model Hyundai do you drive?

Thnx,

Tony
I have a 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited (like the lenses!) Which means it has all the bells and whistles like an all glass roof with a moonroof in the front half, and the Infinity Stereo, heated leather seats etc. I bought it from the same dealer I purchased my Elantra Coupe from 3 years before. It had been a model year old sitting on the lot so between all my prior owner and military rebates, it was about a 30% reduction from MSRP. 33,650 down to about 24K. I haven't seen any 6000 dollar rebates on old stock lately, but I am very happy overall with the car. If I keep it, (which I think I will,) the batteries are under warrantee as long as I own it. So no battery replacement costs, even ten years from now.

And it has a 6 speed automatic not a CVT which is good since I dislike CVTs in most cars. It sounds like a running refrigerator when it starts but is pretty good overall. I would get the SEL model of the new Ioniq Hybrid if I was buying this year. It is a bit smaller but has better mileage ratings then any of the competition. 50+ US MPG.
02-21-2018, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The upcoming April edition of Consumer Reports Magazine is the annual auto issue.
Besides reviews of most new cars available ratings of used cars are included.

Extensive frequency of repair charts and ratings per model and year are compiled from CR members ownership data.
I have found these very accurate and a good predictor of long-term reliability and cost of the used cars I have owned.

Chris
02-22-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #26

I would avoid Carmax like the plague of I were you. They'll buy anything that limps in to the dealership. Not all of their cars are lemons, but there'll be a lot more hidden amongst the peaches. I know too many mechanics who say they wouldn't take a car from them if it were free.
02-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Our son bought a new Jeep in 2014 with a CVT transmission. Believe the transmission is made in Japan and supplied to different makes. Had overheat issues. Couldn't trust it on highway drives. He traded in fairly quickly on a pickup truck of another make and made sure the new truck didn't have a CVT transmission before he bought it. Lot's of different makes use CVT transmissions and to me, the jury is out.
Exactly and thanks for helping me to make my point RE: CVTs. Other issues are high maintenance costs and they are known to completely fail between 60,000 and 100,000 miles. It can cost anywhere from $3500.00 for a rebuilt CVT and up to $7,000 for a brand new one installed. Seems like a pretty poor return on investment. Saving 2 to 3 miles per gallon of gas to end up paying out high repair/replacement costs. Thanks again.

TT

---------- Post added 02-22-18 at 05:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I would avoid Carmax like the plague of I were you. They'll buy anything that limps in to the dealership. Not all of their cars are lemons, but there'll be a lot more hidden amongst the peaches. I know too many mechanics who say they wouldn't take a car from them if it were free.
I have been reading reports that mirror your comments exactly. The other issue about Carmax is that they are very difficult to deal with.

thnx,

TT
02-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
Unless there have been radical changes in how they do business your statement is very incorrect. When I bought a car there back in 2001 and then worked at that location part time, our store had very good mechanics and staff and were very picky about what cars they bought. If that has changed, I would be surprised.
Our store was huge and we averaged sales of about 35-40 cars per day in retail sales. Cars that weren't good enough were wholesaled to other dealerships. That is a whole other number that I was not privy to.

Tony the purpose of the no-haggle thing is to prevent the anger that comes from the phony numbers put out in old school style dealerships. That should not happen anywhere.
02-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unless there have been radical changes in how they do business your statement is very incorrect. When I bought a car there back in 2001 and then worked at that location part time, our store had very good mechanics and staff and were very picky about what cars they bought. If that has changed, I would be surprised.
Our store was huge and we averaged sales of about 35-40 cars per day in retail sales. Cars that weren't good enough were wholesaled to other dealerships. That is a whole other number that I was not privy to.

Tony the purpose of the no-haggle thing is to prevent the anger that comes from the phony numbers put out in old school style dealerships. That should not happen anywhere.
Thanks very much for the information. That is disappointing, because having been born and raised in New England, I became very adept at: "Good, Old Fashioned, Yankee Horse Trading." For me, it made the car buying experience a lot of fun and even though I knew I was being hosed (but pretended like I wasn't) it made it more enjoyable.

Thanks again,

TT
02-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much for the information. That is disappointing, because having been born and raised in New England, I became very adept at: "Good, Old Fashioned, Yankee Horse Trading." For me, it made the car buying experience a lot of fun and even though I knew I was being hosed (but pretended like I wasn't) it made it more enjoyable.

Thanks again,

TT
years ago, I called my dad about the deal I got when I bought my Suburban ( currently 190,000 + miles ) new in October of 2002

he listened to my story and asked

" did you beat the dealer "

I said, " I know I didn't beat the dealer, but I hope he didn't make as much off me as he thought he would when he first met me 120 days ago "

a dealer will never sell the vehicle at a loss, but if you get lucky, his profit might be smaller than he appreciated in the beginning.