Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #31
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic region
Posts: 62
Ssg, you may very well be correct. I've never deadly with them. Perhaps they have changed their policies. Or perhaps it's location specific, yours is good but mine sucks.

Tony, you can still wheel and deal at smaller dealerships. I've always enjoyed the art of dance, the back and forth.

02-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 5,751
FWIW we bought two new Saturns as much for the "no haggle" price policy as anything else...

Chris
02-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,207
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
years ago, I called my dad about the deal I got when I bought my Suburban ( currently 190,000 + miles ) new in October of 2002

he listened to my story and asked

" did you beat the dealer "

I said, " I know I didn't beat the dealer, but I hope he didn't make as much off me as he thought he would when he first met me 120 days ago "

a dealer will never sell the vehicle at a loss, but if you get lucky, his profit might be smaller than he appreciated in the beginning.
I see where you got your name from. You are a sly fox. I like that line you used and plan to use it in the future.

Thnx,

TT

---------- Post added 02-22-18 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW we bought two new Saturns as much for the "no haggle" price policy as anything else...

Chris

Now there is a sore subject with me. I couldn't believe GM pulled the plug when they did. Just before it all ended, Saturn was putting out some high quality vehicles and they even offered no hassle return if you didn't like it for any reason. I got to drive the Aura for some time between Beaverton, Oregon and Seattle, Wa., and sometimes as far north as Bremerton, Wa. It was a real joy to drive and so much so, I hated when the trip ended. ( Whaaaaaaa, Whaaaaaaa.

TT
02-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #34
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,663
CRs top car brand is the Hyundai spin off brand Genesis as per NPR news tonight. They have come a long ways since the Pony/Excel from the 70s and 80s.

02-23-2018, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I see where you got your name from. You are a sly fox. I like that line you used and plan to use it in the future.

Thnx, . . .

TT
Dad's nick name was Silver Fox ( both nick names Scout adult leader connection - Wood Badge )

_________________________

I remember the second new car I had ever bought [ a late '80s Honda Accord ]

the salesman wanted me to give him a price, I said no

he insisted I write down a price and give it to him

he said it wasn't enough

I asked him to write down his price

I looked and said we had a dilemma, I wouldn't pay his price, and he wouldn't accept mine, so what was he willing to give me extra so I am willing to come up toward his price ?

bottom line we reached an agreed price - a higher than mine, lower than his but with " bonuses "

but they had to ship the car in from somewhere else

I came back in a week as agreed and the car had pin striping and they were charging me extra because of it

I said take that off I didn't order it,

they said no they couldn't take it off

I said, ok, I will take the car with the pin striping at the original price

they said no and I said no deal, you agreed to get me the car I wanted the way I wanted by this date, either I take the car today at the original price or no deal

I got the car without any increase on the price that I had agreed to.

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2018 at 04:59 AM.
02-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #36
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,350
My wife ordered a Mercedes from the factory to get it with a manual transmission. The dealer has to do this for you. The price was set, she got to choose everything on the car in April, the factory starts building the car in June, finally in August we get a call from the dealer saying the car was being prepped. We get there and they make a small production out of bringing the car out. Then they have a guy to go over all the car's systems, pair your phone, set up the roadside assistance, whatever. I make sure the guy is talking to my wife because it's her car, then I walk around and look at the car to make sure they didn't put a big scratch somewhere. And we've only seen a couple of these cars before ordering, so we only had pictures to look at. Within a couple of minutes, I notice the car has three options that we didn't order. It's a Mercedes, options are not cheap. Somehow, the car is 5% more expensive.

The dealer guys were totally amazed by this. They said maybe some factory guy blundered. They made a show of checking the order paperwork. Sure. I was the first to notice the car had a spoiler that it shouldn't, something visible from across the lot. And that the sticker price doesn't equal the contract price. So we have to negotiate that, but first they try to sell us the extended magic protection shield that maintains the tire color, and a long list of other stuff. Um, I am not listening to any more sales pitch until we revisit the accidental option issue.

It all worked out and the car is nice once we escaped the dealership. I think it was great that the dealer showed they couldn't be trusted right away. Now I just have to field offers from extended warranty companies that misspell "Mercedes-Benz" in the pitch.
02-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,202
doveryai, no proveryai - reportedly the only Russian President Reagan ever spoke

" trust but verify "

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2018 at 12:57 PM.
02-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #38
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,559
Hey, Tony. (I'll agree with others that your Accord's what passes for 'low mileage' these days, especially if not neglected or abused. Could want a timing belt, maybe some suspension bushings if it doesn't feel like it used to, struts, etc, but that doesn't add up to that much if you have someone to do it up right) ....and also CVTs aren't something I'd buy. )

Also just a wheeler-dealer-note, definitely bring a mechanic (or bring car *to* one you trust for an inspection. As you might have guessed I'm the kind of friend you might bring, but am far away, obviously.) if you go to those reseller-houses, careful, but they *are* as we speak stocking up on inventory cause people will be getting their tax returns soon. (And honestly, somehow our one friend that went to Carmax ended up with kind of a recurring basket case that looked real pretty even underneath but chewed up tires because of a four-wheel alignment issue (and he'd pinned his budget buying the thing, which really usually isn't a good idea, cause there's always going to be *something.* ) And other things that could be neglected can add up later.

I usually like to go with a private sale (in my case with known issues I know I can fix, or I probably couldn't afford something worth fixing or afford to gamble and miss.) But in the case of Craigslist and the like you kind of need an idea how to navigate it, cause it's far from all what you'd really call private parties.

If you've got the cash you have more latitude to pay to get it right or make it right.

02-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,207
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, Tony. (I'll agree with others that your Accord's what passes for 'low mileage' these days, especially if not neglected or abused. Could want a timing belt, maybe some suspension bushings if it doesn't feel like it used to, struts, etc, but that doesn't add up to that much if you have someone to do it up right) ....and also CVTs aren't something I'd buy. )

Also just a wheeler-dealer-note, definitely bring a mechanic (or bring car *to* one you trust for an inspection. As you might have guessed I'm the kind of friend you might bring, but am far away, obviously.) if you go to those reseller-houses, careful, but they *are* as we speak stocking up on inventory cause people will be getting their tax returns soon. (And honestly, somehow our one friend that went to Carmax ended up with kind of a recurring basket case that looked real pretty even underneath but chewed up tires because of a four-wheel alignment issue (and he'd pinned his budget buying the thing, which really usually isn't a good idea, cause there's always going to be *something.* ) And other things that could be neglected can add up later.

I usually like to go with a private sale (in my case with known issues I know I can fix, or I probably couldn't afford something worth fixing or afford to gamble and miss.) But in the case of Craigslist and the like you kind of need an idea how to navigate it, cause it's far from all what you'd really call private parties.

If you've got the cash you have more latitude to pay to get it right or make it right.

Greetings, I do not have a Honda Accord. I have a 1994 HondA Civic LX with 135,000 miles on it. The car has been great, so I have no complaints regarding its reliability and performance. I would like very much to get a new or newer Honda Accord, but the problem is, there is a boatload of issues even with the late model years. Very discouraging. I want to thank you very much for all of your information. It is very helpful.

Regards,

Tony
02-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Greetings, I do not have a Honda Accord. I have a 1994 HondA Civic LX with 135,000 miles on it. The car has been great, so I have no complaints regarding its reliability and performance. I would like very much to get a new or newer Honda Accord, but the problem is, there is a boatload of issues even with the late model years. Very discouraging. I want to thank you very much for all of your information. It is very helpful.

Regards,

Tony
Memories, memories

My first car after law school was a new 1982 Honda Civic FE hatchback, the hatch made it a 3 door

1982 Honda Civic FE: When Duty Calls | Autoweek


5 speed manual transmission

Great in town and for the 500 miles plus trips one way down the interstates back to my dad's across Iowa to east central Illinois

Had that car for about 5- 6 years
02-24-2018, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,921
As we are getting nostalgic for old Hondas I'll post this,one of the best cars I owned,back in the 90s.Not sure if you had the Prelude in North America?



02-24-2018, 03:26 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,202
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
As we are getting nostalgic for old Hondas I'll post this,one of the best cars I owned,back in the 90s.Not sure if you had the Prelude in North America?


Oh yeah

The two seater sports car
02-24-2018, 04:25 AM   #43
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,500
I will chime in that car buying is a very miserable experience. I've been driving Honda's for the past 10 years and mostly because the dealership is top notch. I looked around a couple of years ago for another truck when my 2005 GMC Canyon went to the junkyard after the frame rusted through. After spending a few days at different dealerships, I had enough and bought another Honda CRV. Added a hitch and a utility trailer from Tractor Supply and I discovered I didn't really need a truck anyhow. This is the third CRV I have owned. Yeah, they only come with automatics but I have never had a lick of trouble. My first one (a 2000) had 260K miles on it when it went to my daughter. She sold it after a couple of years and I still see it around. I have a 2007 CRV with around 140K miles now and a 2014 with 80K with no repairs other than normal maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. No tranny issues. Changing the fluid every couple of years is standard maintenance as is the rear differential fluid but that isn't much of a bother. I can't say anything bad about Honda's although I don't like their "truck".

If you like Civics, you might want to buy another one. I was drooling over the new hatchback model I saw recently and they come with standards if you really don't want an automatic. I will say, with only 135K miles, your old Civic is just getting broken in as long as it isn't rusting out. Rust is the car killer here in the northeast. My daughter had a 95 Civic with over 500K miles before she retired it.
02-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #44
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Oh yeah

The two seater sports car
It did have a bench seat across the back.I once got six passengers in it (four across the back and two in the passenger seat).Don't try this at home kids,always drive responsibly.
02-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,202
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I will chime in that car buying is a very miserable experience. I've been driving Honda's for the past 10 years and mostly because the dealership is top notch. I looked around a couple of years ago for another truck when my 2005 GMC Canyon went to the junkyard after the frame rusted through. After spending a few days at different dealerships, I had enough and bought another Honda CRV. Added a hitch and a utility trailer from Tractor Supply and I discovered I didn't really need a truck anyhow. This is the third CRV I have owned. Yeah, they only come with automatics but I have never had a lick of trouble. My first one (a 2000) had 260K miles on it when it went to my daughter. She sold it after a couple of years and I still see it around. I have a 2007 CRV with around 140K miles now and a 2014 with 80K with no repairs other than normal maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. No tranny issues. Changing the fluid every couple of years is standard maintenance as is the rear differential fluid but that isn't much of a bother. I can't say anything bad about Honda's although I don't like their "truck".

If you like Civics, you might want to buy another one. I was drooling over the new hatchback model I saw recently and they come with standards if you really don't want an automatic. I will say, with only 135K miles, your old Civic is just getting broken in as long as it isn't rusting out. Rust is the car killer here in the northeast. My daughter had a 95 Civic with over 500K miles before she retired it.
now a Honda CRV story

[ these are all true experiences I have had buying Hondas ]

went shopping for one with my wife

she got pi**ed off at the salesman and said " we are leaving "

I don't know what ticked her off

once we got into our car and drove away, she told me to go back and buy the car - she wanted it but not to deal with " that guy "

it is the only Honda dealership within 30 miles

talk about having bargaining power, not

went back and told the salesman that I needed to see his sales director.

told him that I didn't know what the problem was but my wife didn't want me to deal with the salesman but we were interested in the car

the sales director and I had coffee and talked about " wives "

bought it

now I don't go with her when she wants to buy another " blue " car

yes, that is what she looks for when buying a vehicle - a " blue " car

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
It [ Honda Prelude ] did have a bench seat across the back.I once got six passengers in it (four across the back and two in the passenger seat).Don't try this at home kids,always drive responsibly.
I was part of a similar " crowd " in an original VW bug

not fun for long

___________________________


first memory of car buying

went with my dad looking to replace a V W Micro Bus, I must have been in jr. high

he was looking at a Datsun 510 " station wagon " with manual transmission ( later he used that vehicle to teach me how to drive )

salesman told him that he could get him a great deal on white wall tires which would help on resale value

salesman asked " how often do you trade in your vehicles "

My dad replied truthfully

100,000 miles or when the vehicle has burned to the tires which ever happens first ( which is what happened to the VW due to a fuel leak while he was driving )

Salesman said " forget the white walls "

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-24-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: would
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buying, car, costs, country, couple, crv, daughter, dealer, dealership, director, drive, engine, half, honda, intersection, issues, miles, purchase, thanks, time, transmission, trials, trials and tribulations, tribulations, truck, tt, vehicle, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streets Field Trials Kerrowdown Post Your Photos! 6 10-08-2016 12:48 AM
The trials and tribulations of a new K30 owner. MSBC1 Pentax K-30 & K-50 16 03-19-2013 10:52 AM
First trials with 645D and HDR gurtch Pentax Medium Format 15 04-09-2011 09:50 AM
Sports Moto Trials ScorpaSY Post Your Photos! 3 06-04-2010 05:49 PM
Some trials of DFA 100mm f2.8 macro roentarre Post Your Photos! 25 12-14-2008 07:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top