Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 219 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 02:46 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Paul, sorry to hear that it has reached such a low point that you think the only option is to leave. You are dead right, the tone on the forums has definitely turned negative of late. Intolerance of others opinions, Pentax bashing, etc,etc,etc............... BUT, and it's a big BUT, there is still so much great stuff here. Spend some time looking, I mean really looking, at the wonderful images in the Exclusive gallery. Spend some time reading bertwert's Joke thread. The Post Your Photos! forum is amazing for the depth of imagery there. That's why most of us are here. Like minded people sharing a like minded hobby ( unless one is lucky enough to make some bucks from it ). So please, if you need a break, take one by all means. Come back here refreshed. We all hope - as you can see - that you stick around.

02-22-2018, 03:17 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
You are dead right, the tone on the forums has definitely turned negative of late.
Public discourse generally is in a downward spiral, in many places. That's why it matters to preserve the culture here, which has been built up over a number of years.
02-22-2018, 03:26 AM - 6 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He's like many of us members, sick of seeing negative posts.
I'm just enjoying an online forum sabbatical. If the swinging pendulum of online discourse moves towards the toxic and negative, just don't get involved. Go outside and take some damn pictures. Eventually those nitwits ruining everything will find something new to bash and the pendulum will swing back to sane and rational.

It is a pattern I have observed in online fora for many years. Though I am prepared to admit there have been some exceptional cases where toxic negativity has utterly destroyed online forum communities.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-22-2018 at 03:31 AM.
02-22-2018, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proposed guidelines I wish that I was smart enough to follow consistently:

" can't we all just get along "

Discussion - good, argument - not so good

Communication by written word can lead to misunderstanding due to lack of verbal ( vocal ? ) and visual clues ( smilies may help to bridge the " gap " )

Respect the opinion of others ( unless, of course, your opinion has never been erroneous - be honest now )

Take a breath or two of even three instead of posting an immediate response to another's post

Laugh at yourself once in a while

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-22-2018 at 04:03 AM.
02-22-2018, 03:56 AM - 3 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Laugh at yourself once in a while
+1

Forums are just as much for entertainment than they are for the exchange of information. Just think of where PF would be if it wasn't for Otis.
02-22-2018, 04:05 AM - 5 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

I have to say that the outburst of first world privilege that has accompanied the discussions about the K-1ii has left me quite disgusted. And lately I've found that whenever I want to discuss an error in technique that I've made with one of my own photographs, people immediately start suggesting more equipment that I should buy. It's getting harder and harder around the internet in general to find people who want to talk about photography rather than argue about gear. So I understand Monochrome's decision, even though I'll be sad to see him go.

Personally I'm trying to just stick to the photography oriented threads that I enjoy.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-22-2018 at 04:33 AM.
02-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not that I think it matters. I can稚 take the snark, criticism, misinformation, negative opinion, whinging and general self-centered garbage posting anymore. Enjoy your virtue signaling and Brand bashing.

I値l post Feedback on any purchases in the pipeline and read about the new gear on Imaging Resource.

When the flaming stops someone please PM. I値l get an email.
You gotta do what makes you happy, or not do what makes you unhappy? In the grand scheme of things what people say on this forum is meaningless. Life is too short to let negativity bother you.

PS the flaming will never stop, here nor anywhere else.

02-22-2018, 04:42 AM - 7 Likes   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
the flaming will never stop, here nor anywhere else.
No, but I think we mods are going to have to be tougher on those who perpetrate it...
02-22-2018, 05:01 AM - 4 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

I blame it all on Pentax for not releasing a new camera every three months along with a full range of lenses to replace all the legacy ones from the past forty years as this gives the serial whiners and moaners something to whinge about
02-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I can't be left alone with my LBA....
You'll never be alone

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
What's this (Virtue signalling) referring to?
I looked it up:

"Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious."

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-22-2018 at 05:14 AM.
02-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Being a Moderator on another forum; I've found this site to be above average for the non-abrasive posts! Most members are most helpful and respectful. Of course, if it's upsetting someone just being here, then that can't be helped. Hoping you find a site that's more suitable to you.
I agree Maybe I'm simply able to steer away from risky threads, but I find the forum informative and helpful.
02-22-2018, 07:49 AM - 5 Likes   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No, but I think we mods are going to have to be tougher on those who perpetrate it...
And as I said previously, all members here can help out the Moderator Team by sending alerts on posts that you feel don't belong here. If we all help out, the ones stirring the pot, will discover their spoon has been taken away! Don't just be disgusted, and ignore these posts; do something about it, and help the Team to eliminate them.

Losing good, contributing members because of a few troublemakers, only makes the troublemakers stronger!
02-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a member of a few other forums on subjects ranging form live audio to motorcycles. I would rank this forum about right in middle as far as courtesy and "niceness". Professional forums seem to be less tolerant of "newbe" type questions, but this is a place just to have fun, right? All too often questions are misinterpreted as opinions and some here seem to have a problem with opinions different than their own.

Mac, kudos to you for your patience and tolerance.

Last edited by Ash; 02-22-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: inflammatory
02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I have been out doing working/ business for some years, it got occasional look in to see what is the photos and the funny characters with level views. So I will look around for more to the good posts, but there to many other posts for reading this and that cockrel/brands envies.

Any way if my current is a real life change, no working or business.

Anyone a sabbatical is great to Monochrome and hope for your posts/veiws always be back.
02-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry about monochrome. We haven't lost him forever - he's still around and answering PM's

I like that this thread has triggered some reflection about the responsibility we all have to keep Pentax Forums as one of the more positive forces on the internet.

When the worst of the negativity around the K-1 Mark II's release dies down, I'm sure Paul's well-informed, thoughtful and balanced opinions will return to restore order to the chaos
Closed Thread