Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 219 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #76
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"who is to say someone doesn't have a serious, valid, critical opinion versus being considered a troll? A troll is someone who just does it for the rise in people alone. Who can tell the difference? "

In time, Moderators get a feel for members who simply troll, rather than having a valid opinion. For those, I'm sure they are/can be recipients of a stern "knock it off" PM. Sometimes the members themselves "correct" the behavior, without being malicious, which is even better. No matter what, no matter what forum, there will always be a handful that simply do not fit in, and try their best to disrupt the threads. However, again; it takes all of us, to assist in trying to keep them from wrecking threads for those that are here for knowledge and kind interactions.

And yes, Moderators have a job that is extremely difficult; however, their reward is seeing a forum such as this flourish and continue to be the best camera forum, period! So hats off to all the Moderators, and especially Adam!

02-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Carol is spot on with her suggestion that it isn’t the early days when we had, for instance, long-running threads about using the Green Button with K lenises and Taks (on a K10/K20).
Yep...I remember when we were all simply thrilled to have such an incredible tool and helpful folk to lend their experience to help us grow in our skills, even when the camera might not cooperate.

Steve
02-22-2018, 06:09 PM - 4 Likes   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I have to say that the outburst of first world privilege that has accompanied the discussions about the K-1ii has left me quite disgusted. And lately I've found that whenever I want to discuss an error in technique that I've made with one of my own photographs, people immediately start suggesting more equipment that I should buy. It's getting harder and harder around the internet in general to find people who want to talk about photography rather than argue about gear. So I understand Monochrome's decision, even though I'll be sad to see him go.

Personally I'm trying to just stick to the photography oriented threads that I enjoy.
The film pool is a quiet oasis the tech savants tend to avoid. I enjoyed Monochrome's input and his appreciation of old film gear along with his business knowledge. Let us hope he finds his way back to this peaceful area.
02-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1 again.

It used to be that it was enough to avoid the rumors area and threads with obvious trolls in the titles, but lately there has been a escalating trend towards off-topic hijacks, thread-poisoning, and persistent off-topic whinging... <applying voluntary muzzle...hope it holds> in the core forums.

Oh, well...perhaps the contagion will abate once we have a K-3 II successor in sight.

Steve
I expect that when the K3 II is announced and specs published, there will be a hew and cry about how it is missing some minor feature, and so it will fail, or what if it still has shutter bounce in the 1/30 sec to 1/125sec range (they haven’t cured that one in 35 or so years) or some such. It’s coming, I can feel it, and it won’t be pretty. The more we have, the less happy we are.
Talking about negativity. That was supposed to I be tongue in cheek, but it’s probably more like cruel irony.

02-22-2018, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #80
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"who is to say someone doesn't have a serious, valid, critical opinion versus being considered a troll? A troll is someone who just does it for the rise in people alone. Who can tell the difference? "

In time, Moderators get a feel for members who simply troll, rather than having a valid opinion. For those, I'm sure they are/can be recipients of a stern "knock it off" PM. Sometimes the members themselves "correct" the behavior, without being malicious, which is even better. No matter what, no matter what forum, there will always be a handful that simply do not fit in, and try their best to disrupt the threads. However, again; it takes all of us, to assist in trying to keep them from wrecking threads for those that are here for knowledge and kind interactions.

And yes, Moderators have a job that is extremely difficult; however, their reward is seeing a forum such as this flourish and continue to be the best camera forum, period! So hats off to all the Moderators, and especially Adam!
Yes, moderating can be a difficult, often thankless, no-pay job. And kudos to those who stick in there and really uphold the rules evenly. But moderators are still human and dealing with trying to decipher and determine this like the rest of us can make mistakes. It isn't as if anyone gets Mod status and instantly they are fully accurate at reading people based off their text. Plus personal biases can, even if subtly, weigh on one person's view of another and in how they moderate. No one can remove them entirely.

Yet I don't think we all need to 'fit in' to participate. It is good to have dissenting views at times. I've never really felt like I've fit in here, as if I was part of the accepted good ol' boys. And several people here seem to turn the knife handle in letting me know this from time to time, yet I keep coming back even though it can be tiring. So I know how monochrome feels in a way in wanting to take a break. I can empathize in some form and have also cut back on participation and perusing here. It helps.
02-22-2018, 06:22 PM - 4 Likes   #81
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
PS the flaming will never stop, here nor anywhere else.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No, but I think we mods are going to have to be tougher on those who perpetrate it...

whack
02-22-2018, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #82
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I expect that when the K3 II is announced and specs published, there will be a hew and cry about how it is missing some minor feature, and so it will fail, or what if it still has shutter bounce in the 1/30 sec to 1/125sec range (they haven’t cured that one in 35 or so years) or some such. It’s coming, I can feel it, and it won’t be pretty. The more we have, the less happy we are.
Talking about negativity. That was supposed to I be tongue in cheek, but it’s probably more like cruel irony.
Well that should be expected. At this point it has become so hyped and dreamed up that nothing they can realistically offer will dissipate all the critiques of features on whatever they end up offering.

That said, when the K-1 was launched it was rather positive here for a few months or so. And that was what... a 10 year wait? So maybe it could turn around for awhile... if you are looking for positive, happy fun time emotion. Which, again, I think is dangerous for a forum to focus on.

But something else not mentioned is the complaining about the complaints... that, in itself, is a complaint too. And I'm not trying to be cute by pointing that out, but really those things can be life sapping to read as well in abundance. People trying to push out the people with views they find rather 'negative' can be seen as a negative too.

We should all probably take a break from time to time.

02-22-2018, 06:53 PM - 8 Likes   #83
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Closing the thread per request. Lots of great posts here, let's look forwarding to welcoming monochrome back if he decides to return

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread