Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Well are you Chroming?
Yes. 1422.58%
No. 1829.03%
Maybe later. 2438.71%
I don't give a CLICKER! 69.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
Banned

I use firefox, always will, period.

QuoteQuote:
I like the option of having a Google search in the URL bar
you can do that in firefox.

I don't need everything I use to be owned or branded by google, I steer clear away from it other than using it for searching. no need for all of those other useless google apps.

09-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
-For all their talk about efficient memory, the MINIMUM footprint I found to load a page is about 17MB. Want 10 pages up, at LEAST 170MB. SOme pages spawned a process about 40MB in size. For all their talk about traditionaly "single threaded" browsers being memory inefficient, I compared it to my instance of opera running for 5 days straight with about 25 tabs open, It was up to about 190mbs due to memory creep. Chrome beat that at the 10 page mark. It is NOT memory efficient.
Interesting. I've been worried about Opera's use of memory, but it's my own damn fault for having 40+ pages open at a time. If Chrome's worse, then no dice, Google.

QuoteQuote:
-Don't like the terms of service, which claim that ANYTHING you transmit through the thing google has a right to use without limitations. This is important to pretty much everyone, especially anyone who likes to think you have a say in how your photographs are used. I'll note that picasa is a google property, and they do not claim ownership of your works simply for using that software. Their license needs to be edited for sanity.
It's because it's a beta, probably, and Google wants to know where you're going and what you're doing with Chrome.

On the other hand, that's some big market research property Chrome'll generate.

QuoteQuote:
Positives:

-It renders pages blazingly fast. Slightly faster than opera 9.52. Which is pretty impressive unless it is caching pages ahead.
The fastest thing to load for me, I've noticed (anything that's not on a local server, at least) is Google (on Opera and IE, from home.) It could very well be that Chrome downloads a lot of a page from a Google cache, rather than from the page's actual server.

Meh. As for me, give me the browser made by crazy-arse Norwegians or give me death (but not IE.)

As for all of you who're still using IE for day-to-day browsing, what the hell is wrong with you? Navigate your way to Opera browser: Home page and click download!
09-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I use firefox, always will, period.

I like the option of having a Google search in the URL bar

you can do that in firefox.

How...? I use Firefox and in mine I require an extra search google bar... same line as the URL bar but its not the same as typing in the actual URL bar.

Unless there is an add on for firefox or I am doing something wrong when I type in the url bar it searches for a domain site and comes back with error message

Neil
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Ill give it a skip, im happy with the already matured firefox, plus I know how google's products almost never reach a final state (Gmail is STILL in beta).
Secondly, I am a developer myself, and I don't think we care enough for _yet another browser_ to fight standards and appearance for on web design. Ill stick to FF, and keep wiping my butt with IE, as usual

09-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My trials so far have led me to conclude:

Reasonably fast and sleek interface.

but!

- No adblock (Firefox has that) forces me to see all crappy ads and bogs my computer down

- It can't display certain pages appropriately (login screen on the Pentax forums)

- It has LOCKED MY ENTIRE SYSTEM UP twice within 4 minutes of usage.

- Can't use my FF extensions like Customize Google (very useful add-on that allows me to remove ads, tracking cookies, sponsored links etc), FXIF (view EXIF info in browser), Greasemonkey and many more.

- It's made by Google, and you can rest assured that, within a couple of weeks, it'll be able to tell when you need to go to the bathroom - they track all your activity even if you deselect "help me improve bla bla bla bla" from the menus.

So far it looks like a thumbs-down for Google's browser. The only thing it's got going for it is the speed, but Mozilla is working on improving Firefox - an already much more mature browser than Chrome.
09-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't need everything I use to be owned or branded by google, I steer clear away from it other than using it for searching. no need for all of those other useless google apps.

I tend to agree with 95% of what you said; though I have found Google Maps very useful.
09-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Firefox is already in league with the devil, why would I feel a need to go direct?
(Lately Firefox has been blocking perfectly safe sites because a somewhat hidden Google based "Attack Site" blocker is embedded within it.)
They are already working together, so I would almost wager that the Google browser pretty much is Firefox with a new face and just enough new code to call it their own, and therefore break something.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Google should stick to ad-ons... but then I guess they wouldn't be ablke to gain as much control over your behavior.

09-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #23
Inactive Account

It seems Google's trying to become The Thinking Man's Apple - not necessarily in terms of functionality, but at least in terms of branding. Hip, cool, but without the yuppie taint of Apple.

(God, I hate Apple and everything it stands for.)

Put simply: pretty much every browser out there is better than Internet Explorer. I'm not gonna get into nerdish ranting, but in terms of speed, user-friendliness, and functionality, go Opera, or at least FireFox.

The only websites I've had trouble with is the ones that are too lazy or to...well, "snobbish" is the only word I can think of...to allow the use of browsers other than IE. My net banking site is like this. It won't work in Opera, only in IE...yet it's supposed to be as secure as possible! That's irony.
09-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing i don't like about Chrome vs the others, you can enlarged the text but the rest of the page doesn't fill the screen so you get a really distored/surrela page if you enlarge to max LOL

This is why i'm back to either FF or IE8
09-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It needs some work. It's not bad for version .2, but it's just a bit wonky for me.
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Ill give it a skip, im happy with the already matured firefox, plus I know how google's products almost never reach a final state (Gmail is STILL in beta).
Secondly, I am a developer myself, and I don't think we care enough for _yet another browser_ to fight standards and appearance for on web design. Ill stick to FF, and keep wiping my butt with IE, as usual
Ditto and Gmail sucks. it's been in Beta for what 18 months? I used it for awhile but since there are no folder options, it is very cumbersome. Firefox works for me and more than enough plugins. IE like anything from MS is slow and featureless.
09-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I downloaded chrome last night, didn't like it then and deleted it this morning.
I don't think that I'll bother with it again.

With the exception of using both Google Earth and Picasa once every 6 months or so I'm just not a google download fan.
Yes I have a couple of g-mail accounts, but only chose them due to their spam blocking ability.
Which even Hotmail seems to have mastered now.
09-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I was reading an article from someone who tested the performance of IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Read this article and make your own conclusion.

I have experienced some of these issues.

CTV.ca | Google Chrome lacks polish under the hood: review
09-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the test from Lifehacker.

Beta Browser Speed Tests: Which Is Fastest?
09-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Mainly Firefox, but tested also Opera and Chrome.