Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Well are you Chroming?
Yes. 1422.58%
No. 1829.03%
Maybe later. 2438.71%
I don't give a CLICKER! 69.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Google is pulling the same antics as Microsoft did and does - releasing something when it is NOT ready.

How can a company "forget" its own toolbar from its own browser??? I ain't talking about the search in the url field either.

What's missing!? Image search that's what - and that is important to me.
I've gone back to IE only after 1 hour of testing.

09-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
After a few hours of testing I find I still like Fire Fox best. Chrome is a memory hog as is IE. Chrome is cleaner looking. But as far as downloading, it takes more time than Fire Fox for downloads to complete. Image search isn't there and I have to agree with JC How can a browser forget it's own tool bar?
I think they need to improve this beta and be realistic about it.
09-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
probably not for long. Google was a big backer of firefox. Now that they have their own browser, firefox might be left in the dust...
I use Firefox for adblocker plus, the adblocker subscriptions, and adblocker element hider. Other than this, I can't think of a good reason to use one of the good browsers over another. Can you ever imagine Google allowing the blocking of ads?

Thank you
Russell
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
How...? I use Firefox and in mine I require an extra search google bar... same line as the URL bar but its not the same as typing in the actual URL bar.

Unless there is an add on for firefox or I am doing something wrong when I type in the url bar it searches for a domain site and comes back with error message

Neil

Modify Firefox Address Bar Search

"By default, when you key in keyword(s) in Firefox address bar, it will search the keyword(s) using Google “I’m Feeling Lucky” option. The “I’m Feeling Lucky” option will load the #1 rank website of the keyword(s) search result, instead of listing matching websites."

Thank you
Russell

09-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, such negative energy towards a beta product. I guess everyone these days expects perfect apps out of the starting gate? And for free? Talk about spoiled!

I've tried Chrome and it is way faster than any alternative, renders well (so far), and has a very cool and useful tab implementation. Yes, I miss my plugins from FireFox and some features are not there yet. I guess that's why they call it a beta. But it's already zippier and more stable than FireFox.
09-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I've tried Chrome and it is way faster than any alternative.
That is simply impossible. As Firefox with adblocks doesn't pull down any of the ads, it is way faster. Less is more.

Thank you
Russell
09-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #37
PDL
Pentaxian

Google has stated that every URL keystroke entered is sent to their servers for analysis and targeted ads. If MS did this - the entire planet would be on the warpath - but since the "chosen ones" at Google are doing this - everyone rolls over and fakes a smile.

Do no evil --- adds are the worst kind of evil.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

09-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar:
I've tried Chrome and it is way faster than any alternative.
That is simply impossible.
I do find it amusing when people state with great finality that something someone else can see as a fact is "impossible".

Have you ever thought that I (largely) restrict myself to browsing sites without ads, so that ad blocking is not and has never been an issue for me?

I'll take my empirical over your theoretical any day.
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Google has stated that every URL keystroke entered is sent to their servers for analysis and targeted ads. If MS did this - the entire planet would be on the warpath - but since the "chosen ones" at Google are doing this - everyone rolls over and fakes a smile.
Maybe that's because of the respective histories of both companies. Maybe you are too young to remember the anti-trust suits? Non-competitive bundling strategies? Hidden API elements? Even if that is true, you might want to check up on how much Microsoft charges for inferior software versus how much Google charges for theirs. And have you noticed which company is dedicated to open source?
09-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #40
PFH
Veteran Member

I´ll wait till the bugs are fixed.
09-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Modify Firefox Address Bar Search

"By default, when you key in keyword(s) in Firefox address bar, it will search the keyword(s) using Google “I’m Feeling Lucky” option. The “I’m Feeling Lucky” option will load the #1 rank website of the keyword(s) search result, instead of listing matching websites."

Thank you
Russell

Thanks Russell

but in answer from the replier to my first question the reply was that it can be done in Firefox and that is in answer to my fondness of the ability to type in a google search in the address bar of Chrome

Well to me a google search is a google search and not an option that places the first or top ranked search in the url or loads it. I often find that I do not even get the result I am after on the first googles search results page and I think the site you kindly refered me to also stated they prefer to have a selective choice in front of them.

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I NEVER use “I’m Feeling Lucky”(not because I am unlucky). I prefer to see a list of matched websites and selecting from them.

I am not going to go over to Chrome as I prefer Firefox... though I have to admit that in some cases especially related to c/c and secure sights I do prefer IE.

Went to a site the other day that stated I need to download a plugin to proceed while in firefox and could not continue..in the end had to load IE download the plugin and it was fine.. this was to make a transaction over the internet.

Neil
09-08-2008, 01:44 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I tried Chrome and as soon as I saw ads on sites I went back to FireFox.
Two things I dislike about firefox are full screen mode and slow flash sites. In both cases IE is better. Try www.warcraft2.com.
09-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I do find it amusing when people state with great finality that something someone else can see as a fact is "impossible".
Glad to amuse.

Have you ever thought that I (largely) restrict myself to browsing sites without ads, so that ad blocking is not and has never been an issue for me?
I guess I can largely agree then, but have to wonder if the data you send has to make a pit stop at google first, before being sent on? If so, I wonder what impact that will have when everyone learns that resistance is futile, and starts using the browser?

I'll take my empirical over your theoretical any day.
Chrome uses the Webkit engine. A few other browsers also use Webkit, Safari being the most famous. I wouldn't be surprised once Google has implemented all that is needed in a browser, that they end up with something on the same performance curve as Safari. Have you given Safari a spin? It claims to be the fastest.

Thank you
Russell
09-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I see alot of dumb and unfounded commenture here, so ill rather sit it out.
But for one, your download speed has f all to do with your browser... *sigh*
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I can largely agree then, but have to wonder if the data you send has to make a pit stop at google first, before being sent on? If so, I wonder what impact that will have when everyone learns that resistance is futile, and starts using the browser?
I see Google as providing another alternative, which creates more plurality, not less. That's a good thing so long as web standards are respected.

I am not fond of the data capture thing, but I know enough to realise that this does not mean my personal information is being stored or used in anything but a reflexive fashion. Anyone who has a magazine subscription, a library card, a credit card or a loyalty card has exactly the same happen to their personal data. Whether they know it or not.

I accept the bad side of capitalism as a necessary (for now) consensual illusion. I do not think Google are the agents of much evil.

Chrome uses the Webkit engine. A few other browsers also use Webkit, Safari being the most famous. I wouldn't be surprised once Google has implemented all that is needed in a browser, that they end up with something on the same performance curve as Safari.
That could be, but for now it is faster and less quirky. Plus I like the tab-centric interface and process model. When the bugs are fixed and plugins are available I'll be happier.

Have you given Safari a spin? It claims to be the fastest.
I have tried Safari. In fact I need to run it to ensure sites I design are compatible. It has a completely unique way of rendering fonts that I don't like. And being Apple software it keeps trying to download completely unrelated crap like iTunes. I save my hate for Apple software and its paternalistic approach. Many times I have seen systems wrecked by iTunes or Quicktime.

I am certainly not heralding Chrome as the best thing ever, but I'm happy it's here.