03-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ok, can you top this one

we have all heard of

oops moments but

this one is a real doozy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/03/02/doctors-sta...=.d596353a31a0

any one have another to offer

03-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least they did not amputate something they should not have!

When I had my recent op, to double check, before the op, just before the anaesthetist gets to work, the surgical team asks you what you're there for, just to be sure, to be sure.
03-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
At least they did not amputate something they should not have!

When I had my recent op, to double check, before the op, just before the anaesthetist gets to work, the surgical team asks you what you're there for, just to be sure, to be sure.
when I had my surgery for the detached retina and macula in my left eye on Feb 8, during prep before going into surgery they not only asked me which eye, I felt it when they wrote something on my forehead above the left eye

I didn't ask what it was but I think it might have been " this one "

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-03-2018 at 02:28 PM.
03-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
we have all heard of

oops moments but

this one is a real doozy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/03/02/doctors-sta...=.d596353a31a0

any one have another to offer
You won't have to go to Kenya to discover incredible medical mixups - every country will have its horror stories!

03-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You won't have to go to Kenya to discover incredible medical mixups - every country will have its horror stories!
agreed
03-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

People worry about car accidents and murders when medical errors kill many times more folks every year. I think over 300K per year in the US. That is quite a number.
03-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've had a couple of hospital stays in recent years and every time the nurses come in the room, they ask your name and birthday and check with whatever paperwork or computer order they are looking at. It's annoying, especially when you're trying to get some sleep but there's a reason they do this. The staff works long hours and double checking prevents mix ups like this. Before my last surgery, I was asked all the normal name/birthday questions as well as confirming which foot they were operating on. You might be annoyed by this but think about how many times you walked into a room and forgot what you went in there for. (The bathroom doesn't count)

03-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've had a couple of hospital stays in recent years and every time the nurses come in the room, they ask your name and birthday and check with whatever paperwork or computer order they are looking at. It's annoying, especially when you're trying to get some sleep but there's a reason they do this. The staff works long hours and double checking prevents mix ups like this. Before my last surgery, I was asked all the normal name/birthday questions as well as confirming which foot they were operating on. You might be annoyed by this but think about how many times you walked into a room and forgot what you went in there for. (The bathroom doesn't count)
Yup, same here. They always ask your name and birthday. We also have a National Health Number but they don't expect you to remember that!