Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

all of you D90 video mode bashers

you would all be quick to judge this camera for introducing a "silly" feature, that any P*S can shoot video, and if you wanted a video camera you would buy a video camera (which i agree with..)

on the other hand, everyone here seems to forget the size of the sensor in a D90, and the comparative cost of a video camera that uses APC sized sensors, and the abilty to shoot with a lens capable of apertures of F1.4 or something

think about it.

is nikon really crazy, or did they just up the ante for the video camera developers?

09-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can said aperture close while filming? No. Can focus be set to AUTO while filming? No.

I'm more interested in Casio's offer which can film at hundreds of frames per second. Now THAT's a feature.

The D90's feature is consumer-oriented. Consumers want convenience. Having to focus manually isn't convenient.

Having your sensor fry after filming too many consecutive 10 minute movies is an entirely different thing.
09-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Can said aperture close while filming?
can it... if a lense has an aperture ring?

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Having your sensor fry after filming too many consecutive 10 minute movies is an entirely different thing.
VW's also apperantly blow up after 6 years, mine is still around

i'm sure they did something with the sensor, i mean, people shoot 3-4 hour long exposures on digital cameras, they seem to be doing okay.
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
can it... if a lense has an aperture ring?
You'd hear the aperture clicks while filming. Besides, that would mean the aperture actuator would have to be engaged during the entire duration of the movie. It needs to be automatic.

And the D90 loses its metering if you move the aperture ring away from the Auto position.
QuoteQuote:
VW's also apperantly blow up after 6 years, mine is still around
Never heard that before in my life. VWs, at least the ones made in Europe, are very reliable machines. Maintenance is cheaper than that of the French manufacturers, too.

QuoteQuote:
i'm sure they did something with the sensor, i mean, people shoot 3-4 hour long exposures on digital cameras, they seem to be doing okay.
They might have; they might have not. I won't hold my breath.

I'm sure this is only the beginning, and every manufacturer will follow suit.

HEAR THAT OLYMPUS AND PANASONIC WITH YOUR MIRROR BOX-LESS MICRO FOUR THIRDS?

09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Recalling the threads (i think there were a few), no one was bashing but clearly stated, "no need for that feature as per their shooting style" ...something along that train of thought, including myself.
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hmm, I'm curious if the K20D will refocus when shooting at 21fps... I should give that a try.
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
but the thing is.. if you think about it, now that they have it, does it really cost them more to make it?

its like if tommorow you discover that if you NEED to, you can dig a hole in the ground using a spoon rather than shovel

are you not going to get spoons anymore?

what if in 10 years time there are no more spoons? instead every person has a palm sized metal rectangle that morphs into ANYTHING you want it to?

ehh? ehh?

i know using a video capturing device for stills is... blasphamy, but i think we are moving towards an age where "image capturing devices" are just all going to blend into one pocket sized unit

09-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
... but i think we are moving towards an age where "image capturing devices" are just all going to blend into one pocket sized unit

Thank God I still have my Pentax ME and Zenit-E.
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
Hmm, I'm curious if the K20D will refocus when shooting at 21fps... I should give that a try.
It can't, because the mirror is up (and therefore can't reflect light towards the AF module) and the K20D has no contrast-detection AF (and even if it had, I'd be very surprised if such a system can keep up with 21 fps...)