Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Nikkei Report -- Ricoh to cut 4,000 jobs - office equipment side only

Apparently Ricoh is trying to move away from the copier business.

On the one hand, the news may be regarded as disconcerting as Ricoh isn't in as good a shape anymore than they were in 2007. On the other hand, the 4000 jobs only represent 4% of the overall workforce. Also, I believe a change in focus has been overdue for Ricoh and potentially the current changes will steer the ship to better shores again.

As I read about Ricoh being involved in printing, I was wondering why they never produced/advertised printers for photo printing at home, in particular in combination with their cameras. They could have even supported some camera direct to printer schemes. I'd buy a quality printer from Ricoh if I knew I could support Pentax that way.

Last edited by pjv; 03-23-2018 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Very misleading title, added office equipment side only
03-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As this is only about the office equipment/copier side of Ricoh, and not camera related, it is not Pentax News or Rumor. Moved to General talk.
03-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
As this is only about the office equipment/copier side of Ricoh, and not camera related, it is not Pentax News or Rumor. Moved to General talk.
Well, there is a bit of a relationship between the fate of Ricoh and the fate of Pentax, no?

To cast aside general financial concerns that, if they became more significant would surely impact on Pentax, as belonging to the "office equipment/copier side" only, seems rather odd to me.
03-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Apparently Ricoh is trying to move away from the copier business.

On the one hand, the news may be regarded as disconcerting as Ricoh isn't in as good a shape anymore than they were in 2007. On the other hand, the 4000 jobs only represent 4% of the overall workforce. Also, I believe a change in focus has been overdue for Ricoh and potentially the current changes will steer the ship to better shores again.

As I read about Ricoh being involved in printing, I was wondering why they never produced/advertised printers for photo printing at home, in particular in combination with their cameras. They could have even supported some camera direct to printer schemes. I'd buy a quality printer from Ricoh if I knew I could support Pentax that way.
Reposted from the K-3 Line Will Continue thread:

Over the past 30+ years RIcoh Corp. has grown primarily by acquiring distressed companies with recognized brands in its core businesses, strategically consolidating the patents, technology, facilities and distribution systems into its existing business structure, and then tactically managing future costs by reducing impaired and disused capital assets and headcount. This action is not only not unusual, it is absolutely a normal action in Ricoh’s business process.

The recent writedown and transfer to B2B automotive of the defunct compact camera facility, taken in this context, should be seen as a positive action. It removes an albatross from Ricoh Imaging’s balance sheet. As I wrote upthread, the Rep had heard a story, not in context, that had nothing to do with the future of Imaging.

I have also written that the promise of digital document management, after 20 years of development and business resistance, is finally taking hold. Cloud storage has finally become cost-effective, to the detriment of paper copies and wet signatures.

Blockchain Technology over the next decade will be as disruptive to Office Equipment, Contract Management, Business Practices and life in general as Smartphones and digital currency have been to individual daily life.

A Brave New World is around the next bend in the road.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2018 at 07:35 AM.
03-23-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Blockchain Technology over the next decade will be as disruptive to Office Equipment, Contract Management, Business Practices and life in general as Smartphones and digital currency have been to individual daily life.
No doubt the photocopier business (and the entire office equipment leasing business) will join the buggy whip business in the Obsolete Bin, but blockchain technology is just the tip of a data iceberg where no one can extract actionable information in a timely manner, that will cause the next lingering global financial crisis. Besides, the only money to made with blockchain technology is in manufacturing video cards, so good luck to any corporation that tries to maintain their financial heft by moving capital in that direction.

However, the decline of the photocopier business in general should put to rest the canard that camera companies with financially robust parents will do better than those without. Demonstrable potential to market new products with consistent profit margins is all that is necessary to secure access to enough capital to stay in business.
03-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Demonstrable potential to market new products with consistent profit margins is all that is necessary to secure access to enough capital to stay in business.
I believe Pentax products as high quality optics and high quality camera still have the place. That said, Ricoh got it wrong with the K1, they should have turned to a K1 style mirrorless full frame with adapter to legacy glass. Now I see lot of Pentax users owning a Sony A7 x and frankly speaking, if there was a Sony A7 better built like a Pentax K1 a lot of people wouldn't have bought a Sony A7. The issue with Pentax is not about Ricoh, if there is an issue it is lack of smart vision in terms of product. Pentax did not have recent glass for full frame and also no popular long glass, so it made no sense for Ricoh Imaging to develop a FF DSLR. And a K1 mirrorless would have been even more appealing to users of legacy Pentax glass who are now giving their money to Sony to be able to use their Pentax lenses.
03-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A bit of a shame - I've had one of their duplexing colour laser printers for the last 4 or 5 years and it's been very good, but if they're getting out of that business I'll need to think about switching to something else when it needs consumables again.
03-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rich imaging simply cannot develop mirrorless. There is no should have done. They could not have done.

03-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

There is should not have done, too.
Some jumped to Sony, so what? Others - me included - would've skipped a "K-1 mirrorless", likely even jumping ship.
03-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

This is already "old" news from March 8th.
03-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
mee
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
No doubt the photocopier business (and the entire office equipment leasing business) will join the buggy whip business in the Obsolete Bin, but blockchain technology is just the tip of a data iceberg where no one can extract actionable information in a timely manner, that will cause the next lingering global financial crisis. Besides, the only money to made with blockchain technology is in manufacturing video cards, so good luck to any corporation that tries to maintain their financial heft by moving capital in that direction.

However, the decline of the photocopier business in general should put to rest the canard that camera companies with financially robust parents will do better than those without. Demonstrable potential to market new products with consistent profit margins is all that is necessary to secure access to enough capital to stay in business.
Local, State, and Federal govt will still require significant papertrails. As will a lot of businesses for records and auditing. I don't see photocopiers going the way of the dino.. just shrinking the market more.

For instance, the Desktop PC market didn't die.. the news had articles saying they would be dead years ago. The market shrank dramatically.. but it is still alive. Some people want/need that formfactor for computing.

I think you're spot on with blockchain. The only thing that has seriously increased are videocard prices as miners clamor to try to get a piece of the online currency pie.
03-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
For instance, the Desktop PC market didn't die.. the news had articles saying they would be dead years ago. The market shrank dramatically.. but it is still alive. Some people want/need that formfactor for computing.
Exactly, the papers were saying for years that the PC market was dying, but now it's pretty much the lower-end side of the PC market shrunk, as nowadays people are going for more of the mid-range & higher-ish end pc's
03-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Reposted from the K-3 Line Will Continue thread:
As I wrote upthread, the Rep had heard a story, not in context, that had nothing to do with the future of Imaging.
Speaking of that story... look what I found on Ricoh's website:
"Healthcare
We provide medical institutions with printing systems and document solutions, our core businesses. In April 2016, we took over the magnetoencephalography* business from Yokogawa Electric Corporation and made a full-scale entry into the healthcare business."
03-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Speaking of that story... look what I found on Ricoh's website:
"Healthcare
We provide medical institutions with printing systems and document solutions, our core businesses. In April 2016, we took over the magnetoencephalography* business from Yokogawa Electric Corporation and made a full-scale entry into the healthcare business."
Well how about that. Ricoh bought a business and integrated it into their existing operation,
03-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

And that might be the change of focus the rep was talking about.