Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,042
NFL Rule Changes.

So the NFL changed quite a couple of things in their rule book for this upcoming season and the future.

Wow, if I am correct, here is the new rule summary for catches. - As long as the receiver maintains control before the ball touches the ground or loses it by the ball bouncing off the ground, it's complete.

A larger summary and more explanation. - As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.

03-27-2018, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,282
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.
I know you posted in English but I have not the foggiest idea what you're on about. It may as well have been Swahili.
03-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,495
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
So the NFL changed quite a couple of things in their rule book for this upcoming season and the future.

Wow, if I am correct, here is the new rule summary for catches. - As long as the receiver maintains control before the ball touches the ground or loses it by the ball bouncing off the ground, it's complete.

A larger summary and more explanation. - As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.
What does the NFL do?
03-27-2018, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,132
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I know you posted in English but I have not the foggiest idea what you're on about. It may as well have been Swahili.
I feel like that sometimes just after the BBC announcer says "And now in sport..."

03-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,077
The whole thing was that over the last few years if a player caught a ball and then fell out of bounds or into the end zone, they would do a slow motion video of it. If the ball wiggled a little bit in their arms on the way to the ground, they would say that it wasn't a catch because the receiver "didn't have possession." Now they will call those catches.
03-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,896
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I know you posted in English but I have not the foggiest idea what you're on about. It may as well have been Swahili.
That's the problem with the current rule. No one knows how to interpret it. All came about because of high definition super slow motion instant replay. It just used to be up to the referees to make the call as best they could . Not it is can become an arduous multiple angle review process that takes a lot of time but does allow the network to show lots of commercials.

Just another reason the game is losing fans. Watching a game in person is tedious and watching it on TV leaves you a lot of extra time to accomplish other things. An American football game has somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes of actual activity spread out over the course of 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

About the only time that the game is interesting is during the last few minutes of a close game. Other than that it's like watching two soccer teams play for a 0-0 tie.
03-28-2018, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,351
A Vegas dancer in a dance routine does more work in one routine than an NFL player does in a whole game.

The rule change had to happen. There were too many plays where no one agreed with the calls, but the guy who made it. And the reviews were way too long. And it didn't seem to slow down the litany of blown calls. Having 8 officials on the field, sometimes they don't see a play. Adding a replay official made it better but the cost was huge. And the instructions to the officials to which in some cases were, "let the play go on and depend on the replay official to make the call" just didn't work. It was a recipe for slowing the game down. In the end, like all things American, the game has been reduced to entertainment aimed at getting people to watch commercials.

The problem with the rule was people leaving games, because if it's so slow people turn off their sets, there is no one watching the commercials, and that's really all the industry cares about.

Americans have awhile culture defined by turning everything, including the internet into vehicles for selling commercial product. My advice, go to a play. Go watch a high school game. I personally will not pay for any activity that has "commercial timeouts". I'm paying for the game by watching commercials. I shouldn't have to pay another cent.
03-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,738
The advantage of watching in the UK is that we only rarely get to see more than edited highlights which for me is enough to admire the athleticism and skills and only get an quick explanation of why the game stopped for ten minutes whilst they reviewed a disputed touchdown. The rule change seems eminently sensible based on the couple of'disputes ' Iv'e seen, at the moment soccer is struggling with the video ref thing whilst rugby and cricket have adopted it with little fuss.

03-28-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,495
I once read there are only 70 offensive plays in an average NFL game, and just three of them determine the outcome

Last edited by monochrome; 03-28-2018 at 09:29 AM.
03-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,539
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
...
About the only time that the game is interesting is during the last few minutes of a close game. Other than that it's like watching two soccer teams play for a 0-0 tie.
I'd say that's true for pro football but I find college football way more fun to watch. It feels like they play each game like it's their last typically.
03-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,282
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A Vegas dancer in a dance routine does more work in one routine than an NFL player does in a whole game.

The rule change had to happen. There were too many plays where no one agreed with the calls, but the guy who made it. And the reviews were way too long. And it didn't seem to slow down the litany of blown calls. Having 8 officials on the field, sometimes they don't see a play. Adding a replay official made it better but the cost was huge. And the instructions to the officials to which in some cases were, "let the play go on and depend on the replay official to make the call" just didn't work. It was a recipe for slowing the game down. In the end, like all things American, the game has been reduced to entertainment aimed at getting people to watch commercials.

The problem with the rule was people leaving games, because if it's so slow people turn off their sets, there is no one watching the commercials, and that's really all the industry cares about.

Americans have awhile culture defined by turning everything, including the internet into vehicles for selling commercial product. My advice, go to a play. Go watch a high school game. I personally will not pay for any activity that has "commercial timeouts". I'm paying for the game by watching commercials. I shouldn't have to pay another cent.
Very interesting Norm. I've not watched a commercial in years. We record everything we watch and in the case of live stuff generally start about 20 minutes late, fast forward through the commercials, so we catch up at or near the end of the game. I dislike commercials intensely.
03-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,495
IMO the entire ‘game’ has become mechanical and lacks drama. The entertainment is the peacocks dancing in the End Zone or when they flatten a quarterback.
03-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,351
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very interesting Norm. I've not watched a commercial in years. We record everything we watch and in the case of live stuff generally start about 20 minutes late, fast forward through the commercials, so we catch up at or near the end of the game. I dislike commercials intensely.
Last year I missed one of my Ohio State games. I watched the replay on youtube, it tok 15 minutes and showed every play, with no huddles and no commercials.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ball, control, feet, ground, nfl, nfl rule, rule, summary
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Romney plans major economic address at Detroit NFL stadium jogiba General Talk 3 02-24-2012 01:37 PM
Sports NFL - The Team that mostly beat the Colts .. daacon Post Your Photos! 11 12-03-2009 05:48 AM
NFL - Football K-9 General Talk 64 11-23-2009 07:45 PM
Green Bay/Washington Game - NFL camperguy01 Post Your Photos! 12 10-17-2007 03:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top