Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NFL Rule Changes.

So the NFL changed quite a couple of things in their rule book for this upcoming season and the future.

Wow, if I am correct, here is the new rule summary for catches. - As long as the receiver maintains control before the ball touches the ground or loses it by the ball bouncing off the ground, it's complete.

A larger summary and more explanation. - As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.

03-27-2018, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.
I know you posted in English but I have not the foggiest idea what you're on about. It may as well have been Swahili.
03-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
So the NFL changed quite a couple of things in their rule book for this upcoming season and the future.

Wow, if I am correct, here is the new rule summary for catches. - As long as the receiver maintains control before the ball touches the ground or loses it by the ball bouncing off the ground, it's complete.

A larger summary and more explanation. - As long as he controls it fully and both feet or one feet and a knee or both knees or a foot and a elbow, or etc. are in-bound before the ball loses control, it's a catch. If the player is not down by the time he loses possession of the ball, it remains a fumble.
What does the NFL do?
03-27-2018, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I know you posted in English but I have not the foggiest idea what you're on about. It may as well have been Swahili.
I feel like that sometimes just after the BBC announcer says "And now in sport..."

03-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The whole thing was that over the last few years if a player caught a ball and then fell out of bounds or into the end zone, they would do a slow motion video of it. If the ball wiggled a little bit in their arms on the way to the ground, they would say that it wasn't a catch because the receiver "didn't have possession." Now they will call those catches.
03-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the problem with the current rule. No one knows how to interpret it. All came about because of high definition super slow motion instant replay. It just used to be up to the referees to make the call as best they could . Not it is can become an arduous multiple angle review process that takes a lot of time but does allow the network to show lots of commercials.

Just another reason the game is losing fans. Watching a game in person is tedious and watching it on TV leaves you a lot of extra time to accomplish other things. An American football game has somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes of actual activity spread out over the course of 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

About the only time that the game is interesting is during the last few minutes of a close game. Other than that it's like watching two soccer teams play for a 0-0 tie.
03-28-2018, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

A Vegas dancer in a dance routine does more work in one routine than an NFL player does in a whole game.

The rule change had to happen. There were too many plays where no one agreed with the calls, but the guy who made it. And the reviews were way too long. And it didn't seem to slow down the litany of blown calls. Having 8 officials on the field, sometimes they don't see a play. Adding a replay official made it better but the cost was huge. And the instructions to the officials to which in some cases were, "let the play go on and depend on the replay official to make the call" just didn't work. It was a recipe for slowing the game down. In the end, like all things American, the game has been reduced to entertainment aimed at getting people to watch commercials.

The problem with the rule was people leaving games, because if it's so slow people turn off their sets, there is no one watching the commercials, and that's really all the industry cares about.

Americans have awhile culture defined by turning everything, including the internet into vehicles for selling commercial product. My advice, go to a play. Go watch a high school game. I personally will not pay for any activity that has "commercial timeouts". I'm paying for the game by watching commercials. I shouldn't have to pay another cent.

03-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The advantage of watching in the UK is that we only rarely get to see more than edited highlights which for me is enough to admire the athleticism and skills and only get an quick explanation of why the game stopped for ten minutes whilst they reviewed a disputed touchdown. The rule change seems eminently sensible based on the couple of'disputes ' Iv'e seen, at the moment soccer is struggling with the video ref thing whilst rugby and cricket have adopted it with little fuss.
03-28-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I once read there are only 70 offensive plays in an average NFL game, and just three of them determine the outcome

Last edited by monochrome; 03-28-2018 at 09:29 AM.
03-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
About the only time that the game is interesting is during the last few minutes of a close game. Other than that it's like watching two soccer teams play for a 0-0 tie.
I'd say that's true for pro football but I find college football way more fun to watch. It feels like they play each game like it's their last typically.
03-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A Vegas dancer in a dance routine does more work in one routine than an NFL player does in a whole game.

The rule change had to happen. There were too many plays where no one agreed with the calls, but the guy who made it. And the reviews were way too long. And it didn't seem to slow down the litany of blown calls. Having 8 officials on the field, sometimes they don't see a play. Adding a replay official made it better but the cost was huge. And the instructions to the officials to which in some cases were, "let the play go on and depend on the replay official to make the call" just didn't work. It was a recipe for slowing the game down. In the end, like all things American, the game has been reduced to entertainment aimed at getting people to watch commercials.

The problem with the rule was people leaving games, because if it's so slow people turn off their sets, there is no one watching the commercials, and that's really all the industry cares about.

Americans have awhile culture defined by turning everything, including the internet into vehicles for selling commercial product. My advice, go to a play. Go watch a high school game. I personally will not pay for any activity that has "commercial timeouts". I'm paying for the game by watching commercials. I shouldn't have to pay another cent.
Very interesting Norm. I've not watched a commercial in years. We record everything we watch and in the case of live stuff generally start about 20 minutes late, fast forward through the commercials, so we catch up at or near the end of the game. I dislike commercials intensely.
03-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO the entire ‘game’ has become mechanical and lacks drama. The entertainment is the peacocks dancing in the End Zone or when they flatten a quarterback.
03-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Very interesting Norm. I've not watched a commercial in years. We record everything we watch and in the case of live stuff generally start about 20 minutes late, fast forward through the commercials, so we catch up at or near the end of the game. I dislike commercials intensely.
Last year I missed one of my Ohio State games. I watched the replay on youtube, it tok 15 minutes and showed every play, with no huddles and no commercials.