Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I comment,

too much for some ,

on a certain forum

still licensed to do what I have been able to do since 1982

but haven't actively pursued such work since 2008

try to convince the spouse to allow me to spend money on things, including but not limited to Pentax gear

still seeking knowledge about any and all things

hoping folks understand, enjoy or at the very least tolerate my attempts at humor ( humour for those who can't speak proper English )
I presume you are referring to the concept that English as spoken in the colonies is actually closer to the form, as brought to your eastern shores by the passengers of the Mayflower, than the evolved language spoken by good queen Elizabeth II. Given the fact that her origins are German, you are probably right. As for the addition of spurious letters, being unnecessarily complicated and subsequently judgemental is our genetic predisposition English; tough! though through thorough thought, we get there in the end

04-02-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I presume you are referring to the concept that English as spoken in the colonies is actually closer to the form, as brought to your eastern shores by the passengers of the Mayflower, than the evolved language spoken by good queen Elizabeth II. Given the fact that her origins are German, you are probably right. As for the addition of spurious letters, being unnecessarily complicated and subsequently judgemental is our genetic predisposition English; tough! though through thorough thought, we get there in the end
huh

'nuff said far as I 'no
04-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I recently had an experience with fentanyl. Loved it.
I suspect that wonderful sleep and clear recovery was more to do with the propofol which followed the fentanyl
04-02-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I suspect that wonderful sleep and clear recovery was more to do with the propofol which followed the fentanyl
Maybe. I have no idea. Was was out of it.

---------- Post added 04-02-18 at 06:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I was born in England, grew up in the USA, and now live in England again, and I still get my spellings and pronunciations mixed up all the time. Americans always know I'm English, but even after all these years English people still sometimes think I'm American. I say tom-ah-to instead of tom-ay-to, and I say haalf instead of haff. But I also say missle instead of miss-ile, and lieutenant is lootenant instead of leftenant. I think that cars have hoods and trunks instead of boots and bonnets, but at least I can usually remember which side of the road to drive on. And I'll never, ever, understand the appeal of cricket.
So does this conflict cause you my-grains or mig-rains?

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.
04-02-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Architectural Designer and Technologist.

I design mainly houses but occasionally also wine production buildings / cellars, big and small, conference facilities and other commercial buildings. I have in the past, worked on the design of schools, hospitals and prisons, restaurants and hotels. Have also done restoration work of 17th-19th century buildings.

I have a passion for traditional architecture and enjoy restoration, renovation and repurposing old buildings. I enjoy designing new buildings that far exceed code standards as far as utility and energy efficiency is concerned.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-24-2018 at 03:07 AM.
04-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I teach music/guitar to kids and adults, and occasionally sing poems which I have set to music.

"American" is a shortcut for "US citizen" but really means "inhabitant of the Americas". ;-)

My english is more of the north american variety since that is where I grew up, but I enjoy the quirks of the english variety.
04-02-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
I take potentially lethal drugs that I get from relative strangers.
Cool job!

04-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #53
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I was born in England, grew up in the USA, and now live in England again, and I still get my spellings and pronunciations mixed up all the time. Americans always know I'm English, but even after all these years English people still sometimes think I'm American. I say tom-ah-to instead of tom-ay-to, and I say haalf instead of haff. But I also say missle instead of miss-ile, and lieutenant is lootenant instead of leftenant. I think that cars have hoods and trunks instead of boots and bonnets, but at least I can usually remember which side of the road to drive on. And I'll never, ever, understand the appeal of cricket.
your nick name is " bounce back " ?
04-02-2018, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electronics tech. since 1980.
Its been a ride, only 3 boring days in my career to this date.
04-02-2018, 07:18 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Electronics tech. since 1980.
Its been a ride, only 3 boring days in my career to this date.
Same (Analyst)

Last edited by monochrome; 04-16-2018 at 06:22 AM.
04-02-2018, 07:32 PM - 4 Likes   #56
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I supply fillings for your hamburgers.
04-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #57

Self employed magazine publisher
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Flew computers for the Air Force (comm, weather, war-planning systems) for 12+ yrs. Got out, got another degree, ended up in federal civil service still doing computer stuff. Programmer, team lead, analyst, the proverbial squeaky wheel, etc. Hit my 30 yrs in December and likely going to retire then. My plan is to achieve mastery of curmudgeonry. That or world domination, one or the other...
04-03-2018, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Flew computers for the Air Force (comm, weather, war-planning systems) for 12+ yrs. Got out, got another degree, ended up in federal civil service still doing computer stuff. Programmer, team lead, analyst, the proverbial squeaky wheel, etc. Hit my 30 yrs in December and likely going to retire then. My plan is to achieve mastery of curmudgeonry. That or world domination, one or the other...
...why not a world dominating curmudgeon,aim high
04-03-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
...why not a world dominating curmudgeon,aim high
there is competition out there for those who want to dominate the world