Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #61

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I'm a permanent patient and benefit immensely from the drugs I get from the likes of Sandy Hancock! When I was working my favourite job was being an over educated antiques dealer and personal property appraiser. This is did for a number of years but eventually I needed a real job with a regular wage packet. When I have worked as a wage slave I've been a free lance writer, banker, tech support person, pharmacy technician, cashier and website builder. Now I build and maintain websites as a volunteer for my church and once a week I spend an afternoon in one of our least desirable neighbourhoods as a support worker for disadvantaged adults. I dispense advice on on all kinds of subjects such as finding a job, getting an education, a place to live, food to eat, how to get benefits etc and at the same time providing a never ending supply of hot coffee and family friendly conversation.

I worried that when my poor health forced me out of the workforce that I would be lost without a regular job and I was so wrong. I have found plenty to do with my time. In fact I find I have less spare time than I did when I was working.

04-03-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #62
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . being unnecessarily complicated and subsequently judgemental is our genetic predisposition English; tough! though through thorough thought, we get there in the end
I recently heard a tv commentator reference what was suppose to be a quote from Winston Churchill similar to your remark but referring to Americans, not the English

turns out that is doubtful:

Americans Will Always Do the Right Thing — After Exhausting All the Alternatives
Winston Churchill? Abba Eban? An Irishman? Apocryphal?

Americans Will Always Do the Right Thing ? After Exhausting All the Alternatives | Quote Investigator
04-03-2018, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
...why not a world dominating curmudgeon,aim high
I'm not 100% sure that's possible. To truly master the art of curmudgeoning, one must forsake all else. And one must have *something* against which your curmudgeonry may reflect... But, to truly dominate the world, one must crush all opposition, savor the lamentations of their women, etc etc. So, in the end, one could either achieve true mastery of the grouchy art, or achieve true world domination - but never both...

< grin >

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
there is competition out there for those who want to dominate the world

Pinky & The Brain Theme Song - YouTube
It probably says something about me that I still have their theme song memorized so long after the show went off the air. And that The Brain stands upon the corner of my bookshelf at work (with an assortment of Darth Vaders, Darth M&Ms, stormtroopers, & Minions as his own personal legion of doom), and that Brain is my avatar for one of our project tracking systems...
04-04-2018, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #64
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
. . . one must crush all opposition, savor the lamentations of their women, etc etc. . . .
sayeth Conan the Barbarian

04-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #65
Pentaxian

💪💪😎

😁😇
04-05-2018, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What do you guys do to make ends meet?

Enlisted US Army a year after high school wherein I learned to operate D7 & D8 Caterpillars, followed by two years in construction before going to work for county government, operating for the next 30 years. Left to work for state government doing highway maintenance for three years on a seasonal basis, then decided to go back to work full-time again for yet a different county's road department, where I am now.

I like what I do and so long as my health remains good I see no reason to quit.
04-05-2018, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
So you imagine there is not a single woman on the Pentax forum?
Pretty sure most women here are either married or engaged

As for my day job, I'm an Optics Ph.D. Working as an optical designer making fiber optics pressure and thermal sensors. We serve the medical market, mainly, but also high-energy transformers and a few oddballs.

04-05-2018, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Commercial Photographer/part time photography instructor, though at the moment I'm extricating myself from the industry. I've been at it for nearly 15 years, and I have done everything I have set out to do. Make no mistake: I (still) enjoy photography but doing work that isn't even my own at the end of the day because I work on a commission basis...i'm pretty much looking at the door.
04-06-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

I repair transport refrigeration equipment and trucks/trailers for a foodservice company. I'm kind of semi retired these days with a normal work schedule of just 2 days a week. Unfortunately, mechanics are a dying breed and I spent much of the winter working nearly full time again. They finally hired another mechanic so I'm backing off the hours again. I can't physically do it anymore. I think I'll quit entirely in a couple of years.
04-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Retired educational laboratory technician and author, mostly of role playing games and associated material, eking out my pension by buying and selling photographic equipment etc.
04-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pretty sure most women here are either married or engaged
Not all of us. I'm widowed and I'm not looking for another either. LOL.

Semi-retired computer tech. But also considered a Pro photographer because I've been published in newspapers and magazines, previously shot youth groups, i.e., youth hockey leagues, high school seniors and cheerleaders.
04-07-2018, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
mechanics are a dying breed

Good
mechanics are a dying breed. My 70 year old mother being a former rally driver knows a thing or two about cars, and took a young mechanic to task for doing a shoddy job...right in front of the other mechanics in the shop.
04-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Collect a Social Security check
Left the race several years ago, ain't going back.
04-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #74

When I left the army, I fell in love with logistics and warehousing. Then the crash happened in '08 which combined me to discover the joys of professional foodservice. But very recently I found an opportunity to reacquaint myself with my first love. Now I'm working logistics and inventory for a local plumbing company.
04-07-2018, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I work for USPS repairing and maintaining mail processing equipment at a large central processing and distribution center.
We never close, and since 2006 I have worked on tour one, from 11:00 PM to 7:30 AM.

Though my title is electronic technician much of the work is actually mechanical.
It's not what I expected but I don't mind; I enjoy most of it most of the time.
Electronics is easy; it's the mechanical work that separates the men from the boys...

Chris