Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm retired for the 3rd time. It finally stuck. Haven't worked since 31 March 2013. Been "fully employed" with my 3 grandkids. Best "job" ever!

07-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #107
PDL
Pentaxian

Retired - even though I still get calls now and again from recruiters.
During college - Grocery Store clerk.
After college - Staff Archaeologist and for one quarter a Adjunct teacher (professor is what they called it) of "Scientific Photography".
During Grad school - Museum guide and state wide Archaeological database maintainer.
After getting 2nd degree - Systems Analyst and overall PC hardware/software go to guy, along with database work and LAN Administrator.
Second IT Job - Information Systems Engineer (what the company called us) really a Windows System Administrator for a global Health Care/Electronics company.
Third IT Job - Disaster Recovery environment technician. (I kept the daily backup system alive and functioning for 100K desktop/laptops world wide)

Retired for good in 2013.
Now I take pictures for three non-profits and one group that should be a non-profit. I do not get paid, but I do fill out in-kind-donations to all of the non-profits.
07-15-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Retired about 3 yrs ago at 67 - after "about" 23 jobs (but I think I may have lost count!) both perm and contract, and exluding those I did before and during Uni - mostly in the product regulations and safety field. Had to work very hard to find and stay in a job as you can imagine, but, somehow I managed it most of the time! Also had a lot of family "issues" to deal with "in between times" - so. overall, a pretty long and stressful period

Glad to just have made it to retirement, but now suffering for all the trials and (sometimes physical) tribulations of "all that" = partially dislocated L3 disk in the spine, 2 arthritic knees, high blood pressure, and probably some more that I haven't yet found out about! Sorry for the "rant"!

PS: luckily I met and later married a lovely lady quite near the end of that "period", but she also has quite a few issues (Type 1 diabetes, spinal degeneration, etc.), and so we have to deal with those as well, as well as the fact that her car has just blown its motor and she needs a new (ish!) one. She wants a newish Golf GTI, which will be a lot faster than her old Golf Mk IV 2l - and that kinda scares me (she scared me enough in the old one!) and so I hope I survive the potential heart attack which might be to come

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-15-2018 at 01:18 PM.
07-20-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

I started off my working career standing on a flight line waving at pilots, hence the nome de plume. Wish I could go back, it was fun.

Got pushed into software, then moved voluntarily into software testing, systems engineering, and currently reside in safety engineering, or product safety, or system safety (depending on where you come from). In short, the company gets a contract to build something and I make sure it passes all the regulatory requirements to reduce the risk so far as is reasonably practicable.

I'm also supposed to be a team leader, but my team follow me more out of curiosity as to what I'll do next.

07-20-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Got pushed into software, then moved voluntarily into software testing, systems engineering, and currently reside in safety engineering, or product safety, or system safety (depending on where you come from). In short, the company gets a contract to build something and I make sure it passes all the regulatory requirements to reduce the risk so far as is reasonably practicable.....
Apart from the s/w side of things, that sounds a lot like what I did - can be very good and rewarding if you have the "right" upper management ethos and support, but really stressfull and frustrating if you don't (as I found out - many times!) and so I hope that yours does have the "right" ethos!
07-20-2018, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Engineer, or really now I'm a manager of a group of younger, smarter engineers. We get equipment out to the folks in uniform that helps them not get shot down by our own guys.
07-20-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #112

I work in a laboratory doing RnD work for a relatively new Pharma company. Australia has legalised medicinal Cannabis and we are going to be extracting and purifying certain turpines and cannabinoids for various ailments from the plant material. Fairly exciting to be a part of.
Prior to this, I worked as a chef, did that for about a decade, got bored, went to university and now.... Here I am!

07-20-2018, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
we are going to be extracting and purifying certain turpines and cannabinoids for various ailments from the plant material
I think you are going to become eternally grateful for the inventor of the soxhlet extractor, extracting oils and products from raw plant matter can be a waste of solvent without one.
07-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #114
Pentaxian

...Australia has legalised medicinal Cannabis and we are going to be extracting and purifying certain turpines and cannabinoids for various ailments from the plant material. Fairly exciting to be a part of...... Here I am!
And here you see the problem with this culture. We found a plant that has good effects. After making it illegal for a hundred years, now it's legal to eat, smoke, or whatever... so Big Pharma is going to screw with it and make pills out of it (that will include other crap you don't want). This is why science doesn't work anymore... too much dependency on money.
07-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
And here you see the problem with this culture. We found a plant that has good effects. After making it illegal for a hundred years, now it's legal to eat, smoke, or whatever... so Big Pharma is going to screw with it and make pills out of it (that will include other crap you don't want). This is why science doesn't work anymore... too much dependency on money.
Sir, unless you work in the industry or have relevant qualifications, I'd say don't make such comments on things you know nothing about.
Yes pharma companies charge a lot (mostly in the USA because your government doesn't have a decent healthcare system) but if you had ANY idea on how much it costs to develop a new product, thanks to the regulatory bodies etc, you'd understand why products become expensive.
The aim here is to PURIFY the plant matter, so that's it's more effective than smoking it, which is extremely hard to give any accurate dosing with. Certain components can be used to treat different diseases. And if you can isolate that component from the psychoactives etc, then you'll be left with something that can help a specific person. Not 'adding crap you don't need' into there.
07-20-2018, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What do you guys do to make ends meet?
Who says ends meet?

Both AggieMom and I are retired teachers. Retirement, known to teachers as the "endless summer."
07-21-2018, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #117

Courier
07-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #118
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Who says ends meet?

Both AggieMom and I are retired teachers. Retirement, known to teachers as the "endless summer."
One of my aunts was retired from teaching in California.

Her pension was over $90,000 annually.

I didn't think teachers made that much when they were teaching. Apparently California is different that way.
07-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #119
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Sir, unless you work in the industry or have relevant qualifications, I'd say don't make such comments on things you know nothing about.
Yes pharma companies charge a lot (mostly in the USA because your government doesn't have a decent healthcare system) but if you had ANY idea on how much it costs to develop a new product, thanks to the regulatory bodies etc, you'd understand why products become expensive.
The aim here is to PURIFY the plant matter, so that's it's more effective than smoking it, which is extremely hard to give any accurate dosing with. Certain components can be used to treat different diseases. And if you can isolate that component from the psychoactives etc, then you'll be left with something that can help a specific person. Not 'adding crap you don't need' into there.
Easy there gentlemen.

We can't get into a discussion that may lead to something political.
07-21-2018, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #120
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Does an kilt clad Claymore wielding dispenser of justice count for anything?...

If not it's second best... a Photographer then.