Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 08:02 PM - 4 Likes   #121

I make the fruit snacks your kids beg for.

07-21-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am wedding and event photographer
07-23-2018, 11:39 PM - 3 Likes   #123

Photos: Gallery
I try to convince computers to do things that people find useful, and sometimes I succeed.
07-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Big Pharma is going to screw with it and make pills out of it (that will include other crap you don't want)
For the record, putting an active ingredient in a pill means removing stuff you don't want, not the other way around...

This is why science doesn't work anymore...
That's a big leap, from some company making a pill out of cannabis extract to claiming all science is broken.

Just for the sake or the argument, and without limiting ourselves to pharmaceuticals, how can science move forward without incentives? There is basic research, there is applied science, there is engineering, there is manufacturing. All of these need money.

07-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because science in general operates via federal or corporate grants to generate the desired answer.
And there's lots in pills besides active drug. Did you know that? And without knowing what's in the natural product, how can one say what's desirable or not? The purification process may end up discovering other compounds that are also "desirable," which then are put into more pills...
07-24-2018, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #126
Pentaxian

Because science in general operates via federal or corporate grants to generate the desired answer.
And there's lots in pills besides active drug. Did you know that? And without knowing what's in the natural product, how can one say what's desirable or not? The purification process may end up discovering other compounds that are also "desirable," which then are put into more pills...
This is getting off-topic fast, but here goes anyway.

-Being a scientist myself (PhD in optics/physics, fair amount of experience in R&D, both academic, in government labs and in the industry) I do have some knowledge of how "science" works, yep.

-There are other components in a pill, correct. These are well known, generally always the same, and not the topic of this discussion.

-By "desirable" I meant "what the company desires to put in their pill".

-In the particular case of cannabis, its constituents and their roles/actions/effects are very well known. Isolating one is not alchemy.
07-24-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a mechanical engineer.
During my professional career I've been working mainly in sales and application engineering of fluid film bearings for large equipment for power generation, oil & gas industry and commercial and naval shipbuilding.
Meanwhile I am responsible for all sales, engineering and R&D activities in my company.
Frequent global business travels give me opportunities to shoot interesting locations.

07-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Let's just say there's a difference between "science" and "R&D," bdery. I see your qualifications and posit that they are not all that in-tune with pharmaceuticals or medicine. At least, I wouldn't want an optical physicist removing my appendix.

At any rate, the discussion is a philosophical one. You are an expert in your field, and I in mine (well, maybe... talking about myself here). The extraction, purification, concentration, and marketing of "pills" which are variable in their inactive ingredients more than you seem to think, is less about "science" and more about "R&D," where the D stands for dollars. And I'm not sure why you're talking about alchemy...
07-24-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #129
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This is getting off-topic fast, . . . . .
Actually it got way off topic when Jason chimed in.

Now, with your informative and well composed contribution it continues to veer off a cliff.

I like how you made your post somewhat relevant though, with the mention of your profession.

Anyway, lets all get back on topic and try not to delve back into pharmaceutical discussion that borders on political subject matter.
07-24-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Anyway, lets all get back on topic
Haven't visited this thread for a good while, many interesting occupations posted and some that only want to impress, IMO.
07-24-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Haven't visited this thread for a good while, many interesting occupations posted and some that only want to impress, IMO.
You know what I do.

But I'm pretty sure another member, who posted earlier in this thread also works for the same company. And he was somewhat indirect about his actual employer, and the type of profession he is engaged in there, like it is some kind of secret. I get that there are details that any of us working there must not divulge.

But what we produce is no big secret.

And they are the best available.
07-27-2018, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gotta love being an engineer. It's one of those weird professions that people get in to where you never believe you're actually smart enough for the job.
07-29-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #133

Physicist.
07-29-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #134
jnd

Electronic boards (mostly for traffic control) testing and repair. Which leads me to try and repair the significant portion of bought cameras and lenses which are not in ideal condition, but so far that's mostly mechanical issues. And light seals.
07-30-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #135
Forum Member

I work for a huge corporation that made over 88 billion dollars last year. Unfortunately they only pay me 13 dollars an hour to take in a million dollars of inventory a week LOL Go figure. I'm an amateur at photography but at 56 years old I told myself I needed to learn something new so I bought a Pentax K-5 for me and a K-x for the wife About ten lenses ( and a friend gave me a super nice Spotomatic with a Soligor 35mm, Takumar 135mm and Takumar 50mm) and I love them.