Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 227 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I work with Audio-visual equipment for live shows, festivals and anything else you may need for A/V. Summers are crazy. Kamloops has a single festival that runs from July 1st to August 31st, one band a night. That's right, we have a total of 62 main shows plus 7-9 secondary shows every Wednesday (depends on the amount of Wednesdays that year) at another location in town. Sun, rain, heat, smoke whatever the conditions, the show goes on. In 10 years of doing it for myself, I've not once cancelled a show. I think there may have been one night with my boss calling it due to lightning, and even then, the band unplugged and played acoustically with the minimal audience up on stage with them. That's just one festival in the summer. We do many many tradeshows, AGMs, galas, fundraisers etc throughout the year.

08-30-2018, 02:23 PM - 3 Likes   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Co-owner of Tuffmail, an anti-spam email service provider.
08-30-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

Software developer. Gadgets are my weakness.
08-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Software developer. Gadgets are my weakness.
Gadgets are good!

08-30-2018, 05:47 PM - 3 Likes   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did 4 years in Air Force in AMMO, spent the four years trying not to blow myself up while delivering huge fireworks to the flight line.
When I got out I followed in my father's footsteps and became a union Pipe fitter/Plumber......still doing it...
In my free time I have been spending my time exposing my Pentax sensors to light.
I have been shooting Pentax since a wee age of 13, and have been intrigued with these little light collecting boxes all my life....
About 8 years ago I got a little digital design degree and since then I have been working on both my graphics design and photography skills (basically a mix of both)
Now that I'm 53 and may still have another ten years of pipefitting left in me, I am getting my skillz up so I am in good position to do my passion of photography and graphic design in my golden years
09-06-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What do you guys do to make ends meet?
Do for a living? What exactly does that mean? thnx.

TT
09-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GinaC Quote
Gadgets are good!
My wallet disagrees.

09-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doctor_C Quote
Physicist
Join the club!
09-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Join the club!
After some initial years in research in theoretical physics, I found myself on the path of becoming a research institution nomad. Instead I settled down and am still working on my first commercial job after 18 years, but for the 6th company. I try hard to make sure that software which we develop keeps a certain high-value kind of data for a certain industry, who all of us depend on to participate in this forum, secure and always available.

While I stayed local, the closest people who I regularly work with are more than 6000km away and I'm constantly stretched between times zones ranging from one side of the pacific to the other. Unfortunately from west to east, so my posts could come in any time of the day. But I do enjoy the occasional opportunity to visit other sites, where my interest to stay over one weekend for photographic opportunities nicely aligns with much less expensive flights when I do.
09-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
My wallet disagrees.
Yeah, mine too!
09-20-2018, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #161
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I travel a bit too and I always find that the first roundabout, sorts the men from the boys...
For me, a roundabout is nothing more than a chicane.

Size up the traffic flow on approach, a quick stab on the brake, grab a gear, and back on the throttle, with a quick flick first one way, then the other, and then back, then accelerate back up to the limit on the lane out.

(In one of my other lives I am a race car driver. I find it hard to separate racing from driving to work or the grocery store. Mrs. Racer has gotten used to riding along, probably because I never bounce off of other cars or the guard rails.)
09-20-2018, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mother was a rally driver - to this day she cannot drive anything less than a V6.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
roundabout is nothing more than a chicane.
My eldest sister had never seen a roundabout when she was learning to drive - the first time she encountered one, she drove over it instead of around it.

Regarding driving disasters : Russian dashcam videos are uniquely terrifying.
09-21-2018, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #163
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Regarding driving disasters : Russian dashcam videos are uniquely terrifying.
My observation, based on the world I see on YouTube, is that in many parts of the world driving, or even going out into traffic on public roads is suicide.

Meskel Square, before the elevated trains.

No traffic control devises, signals, stop or yield signs, nothing.

If they added an island in the middle it might flow a bit better.
09-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Meskel Square, before the elevated trains.No traffic control devises, signals, stop or yield signs, nothing.
HAH! I love how some of the scooter and motorcyclists stay out towards the edges, or just shoot through the middle of it.

Brilliant.
09-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
HAH! I love how some of the scooter and motorcyclists stay out towards the edges, or just shoot through the middle of it.

Brilliant.
It is interesting to note, that there seems to not be a single accident, Even though the video is relatively short, given the sheer volume of the traffic in might be inferred that the accident rate is low.

Still, a bit crazy for me.