Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Your thoughts on this rumor?

I just read this a couple of minutes ago, and seeing no one else has started a thread on it, I just thought that maybe I'd get your reactions on this one.

Mods, feel free to move the thread wherever it seems fit. I'm not so sure myself if this is the right thread for this.

Link to article

Direct link to nikonrumors.com

Basically, it's a rumor about Nikon developing an MF system.

Of course, it's just a rumor, but wouldn't it suck if Nikon was first to intro an affordable MF camera for the masses, knowing full well that Pentax had a working prototype already back then?

Besides, Pentax already has prior experience in MF and I believe they're still selling glass for 645 (or at least B&H has some in stock still). Here's hoping Hoya and Samsung could pour some more money into R&D for an MF product. They were already there a couple of years back.

09-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #2

For the masses? I'm not sure which masses are going to buy a MF DRF. I applaud them if they actually do it. I imagine it would be more about flexing their photographic muscles at Canon than it would really be about making a ton of money off of it. I would think most professionals that use digital MF, would still stick to an SLR like Mamiya645 or hasselblad rather than use a Mamiya 6-like digital rangefinder. I just have a hard time seeing the market for it..... unless they found some way to make it super cheap(~3-4K).
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the nikon mf system would accept dx and fx lenses i think ... wouldn't cut it for MF

the court is still open for a 645D, hope pentax doesn't drop the ball. i know that they havel limited resources, but there seem to be some obvious things they should be doing to develop / improve marketplace perception
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
All depends on the price

09-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #5

A square format sensor? Sounds sweet.
About time one of these was made!
09-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
A square format sensor? Sounds sweet.
About time one of these was made!
Hell yeah it's sweet. A square is THE rectilinear shape that can cover the maximum amount of area inside of the image circle which is a perfect circle. That would be prime real estate so that we could grow the size of the photosites on the sensors, since the megapixel race will be dying eh?

I have been wishing for a square sensor for a long damn time. Then you dont have the need to rotate the camera sideways. Grips would not be available for it.

Know what else I want?

a CMYK sensor.

go go pentax
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Square's the new rectangle" ...

You heard it here 1st!

Actually, a lot of those huge large format box & bellows cameras use a square film medium. But you know that's gotta be a $5k - $10K camera...
09-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Rangefinders are icky. If I wanted a medium format camera, I'd go for Hasselblad or Mamiya.

And now these punks think they can come to market with a digital medium format camera. Nikon, stick to doing what you do best - cameras and lenses for the 135 format.

09-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Many MF camera's are square format Blad's, Bronica's, Roli's etc. Some of these companies provide a special back where you had a rectangular vertical or horizontal format by rotating the back. None the less, no surprise here. The price is what I am interested in.