Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We backpacked in the very early 70s - Loyalsock Trail, AT, etc. Today we are a bit older and AggieMom typically packs more gear for a trip to Kroger than her Kelty pack ever held, so our camping is done in a 35’ Winnebago. Not as close to the earth perhaps, but it is comfortable!

By the way, who remembers Colin Fletcher’s seminal book, The Complete Walker? It was our backpacking bible.

05-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #62
Pentaxian

We are counting down to ice out. We'll be leaving on Monday, possibly late Sunday. We have to settle down now and get'r done.
05-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lol... Saw this a bit late, but hope you enjoy your trip, norm. We're getting nothing but rain here. I just bought more compression straps so that I can do a little rearranging of my pack items. Going to strap the tent to the top of the pack since it doesn't fit as well as it originally did before using it. Between the weather and work, I'm not sure when I'll be able to go out again. I still haven't gotten the tent and a few other things out of the trunk of the car yet. I couldn't pack them up because they had to dry after a popup shower Thurs. morning (wasn't supposed to rain until that evening after checkout). Hopefully, next time I get out there the trees will be filled in with leaves. They were just starting to bud at the campsite last trip and the tent was in the sun. The tent turns into an oven on a hot day.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We are counting down to ice out. We'll be leaving on Monday, possibly late Sunday. We have to settle down now and get'r done.
05-19-2018, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

I'm back from probably the best weather for ICE Out ever.

My travelling companions. taking in the Sunset

The Sunset

Buds are popping.

Going on a walk after bushwhacking to find an abandoned rail bed.

A sprong wetland.

Some of the many things of interest waiting to be photographed.

05-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Still raining here, with no sign of letting up. This week's work schedule looks tailor designed to keep me from going out to do outdoors stuff.

I'm back from probably the best weather for ICE Out ever.

My travelling companions. taking in the Sunset

The Sunset

Buds are popping.

Going on a walk after bushwhacking to find an abandoned rail bed.

A sprong wetland.

Some of the many things of interest waiting to be photographed.

05-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #66
Pentaxian

On the end of the long weekend we often go have lunch over at the Portage Store/Restaurant for lunch. Breaded Haddock and fires while taking in the action. A race to the finish, the canoe with 3 paidlers won.

People like us, when everyone else is coming in, they are heading out.

Loading up and heading home, May two-fer interior campers.

Waiting for the car to come pick up this stuff.

Lots of canoes in the parking lot.

Stripped down to undies for an after paddle swim. Those of you who wanted the wet t-shirt when she came out, you're gonna have to go yourselves.
05-31-2018, 10:11 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weather here is still not conducive to camping. Rain, more rain, even more rain, heat, humidity (from the rain), and more rain... My work schedule hasn't improved either.

06-01-2018, 05:01 AM   #68
Pentaxian

We are in black fly season now. It's been warm, almost too warm to camp, but until at least mid june we are all grounded.
06-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #69
Veteran Member

We are in black fly season now. It's been warm, almost too warm to camp, but until at least mid june we are all grounded.
It has been very dry here so the Black flies have eased off quite a bit. Since they were really bad this year, that is nice to say. Now the no see ums are out. Hope you can get out soon Norm.
06-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #70
Pentaxian

We usually go to Niagara Falls at this time, but my step-son moved to North Bay, and that doesn't get us away from the black flies. (He says they only have mosquitos, not exactly the trade I was looking for.) But we are busy planning our summer trips. We are spending lots of time in front of maps looking for features to visit

From last night's explorations... a couple of promising looking waterfalls...

Unfortunately while labelled the "tablet" falls in the park, the first is a cascade that covers a half KM and goes around corners. It's remarkably un photogenic. The second has more potential. But that's what it's like. It takes a lot of map study to come up with a workable plan.

You would think tallest water falls, would mean "greatest vertical drop" but that's not the case. In this case it means greatest drop in elevation from start to finish with the finish being a long way from the start.
06-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The weather is just fine for steam bending planks around all the new ribs, and a couple hundred tacks.

06-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We're on the back side of a 6-7 week motor trip which has included our home state of Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and a train trip from St Louis to Chicago. Right now we are in Arkansas at the Prairie Creek C of E Park on Beaver Lake. Next we will head to Lake Fort Smith.

It's not a tent, but hey, it is camping for a septuagenarian!

06-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #73
Pentaxian

There ya go. Always roughing it.

I've been trying to convince friends to rent one of those and do a trip around Lake Superior for years, so far no go.
06-05-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There ya go. Always roughing it.

I've been trying to convince friends to rent one of those and do a trip around Lake Superior for years, so far no go.
Keep trying. The only problem is that once you try it you might find it hard to give up.

We have done it all over the past 52 years – from backpacking to tenting to a pop-up van to a Class C RV to this. Each was right for its time.
06-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Keep trying. The only problem is that once you try it you might find it hard to give up.

We have done it all over the past 52 years – from backpacking to tenting to a pop-up van to a Class C RV to this. Each was right for its time.
Tess is enough younger than me, by the time she's old enough to go for an RV trip, I'll be ready for a cruise.