Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Everything worked fine, though the tarp I used as a rainfly was on the small side. Have rectified that for future trips. I was quite comfy once I settled in. I do need a better lightsource for in the tent, however. The one I used goes through batteries too quickly. Fortunately, since i was camping at the state park, my car was there at the campsite, so I had access to my fishing lanterns. I'm going to have to let the tent dry before I can pack it away in the backpack again. I'm thinking that I can increase the space in my pack if I store the poles and pegs separately, and fold the tent itself and store it with the smaller tarp and sleeping pad in the bottom of my pack.

04-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Everything worked fine, though the tarp I used as a rainfly was on the small side. Have rectified that for future trips. I was quite comfy once I settled in. I do need a better lightsource for in the tent, however. The one I used goes through batteries too quickly. Fortunately, since i was camping at the state park, my car was there at the campsite, so I had access to my fishing lanterns. I'm going to have to let the tent dry before I can pack it away in the backpack again. I'm thinking that I can increase the space in my pack if I store the poles and pegs separately, and fold the tent itself and store it with the smaller tarp and sleeping pad in the bottom of my pack.
Anything that might be an initial rain cover should be easily accessible in case of severe weather while away from an established camp site, even if it is only a large poncho. Imagine digging through your wet heavy ruck trying to get your tarp out in a thunderstorm.
04-20-2018, 04:49 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Anything that might be an initial rain cover should be easily accessible in case of severe weather while away from an established camp site, even if it is only a large poncho. Imagine digging through your wet heavy ruck trying to get your tarp out in a thunderstorm.
We used Seal lines and keep the tarp at the top of the pack.
Packs & Duffles

Now we have everything bundled in waterproof dry bags in more traditional Duluth packs but made with polyesters. Wet and heavy is pretty much a thing of the past.

Last edited by normhead; 05-03-2018 at 06:29 AM.
04-20-2018, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I love my BD Orbit lantern for backpacking. Small, light, adjustable, and lasts a long time on a set of batteries.

I use it for photography too. Good for a Milky Way selfie!

04-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that my tent has dried out in the trunk of my car, and I have a day off, I can finally work on packing it back up.
05-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Next camping trip is another state park visit this Tues and Wed. Should have good weather. Have plenty of firewood.
05-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Sadly it will still be a while before we get out boats in the water.

They are getting impatient.

05-03-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It'll be a while before mine is in the water too.

05-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I have similar one that will soon be in a similar condition. Mine is a 1934 Peterborough Otonabee.

Mine already had a few ribs replaced, I'm hoping I don't have to do any more. Looks like you had to replace almost all of them.

Last edited by normhead; 05-04-2018 at 05:44 AM.
05-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a great plan to save some but two cracked while I was "saving" them. Then I figured I didn't want cracks to appear after I canvassed, and I had the bending process down, so why not replace 34?
05-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I had a great plan to save some but two cracked while I was "saving" them. Then I figured I didn't want cracks to appear after I canvassed, and I had the bending process down, so why not replace 34?
It sounds so logical when you say it that way.
05-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, there's always the option of a road trip, norm. Just head on down here to PA and bring the kayaks with you. Just remember to pick up the boat launch permit at nearest park ranger's office. You don't want to see the cost of a nonresident fishing permit though... Our lakes have been liquid for about a month and a half now.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sadly it will still be a while before we get out boats in the water.

They are getting impatient.

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 01:29 PM ----------

picked up warm weather sleeping bag yesterday, and a better option for light in the tent (even if it does take up more space in the pack).
05-04-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Our ice out trip is scheduled for the 14th. The Park is saying the ice will be out on the 11th, so we left ourselves a little leeway. We won't be travelling far, but we will be sleeping in tents.

The weather network says well have great weather. 14ºC and sun is warm enough for a dip in the lake even if there's still ice floating on it and a couple days are predicted to be 17ºC. The nights are as cold as 6ºC so I'll be taking my -7 bag and layers.

Last edited by normhead; 05-05-2018 at 05:04 AM.
05-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your -7c(19.4f) bag is essentially the equivalent of the one I used last camping trip(-6.667c [20f]. The one I just bought is rated down to 10c (50f) this way i can prevent being too hot. Last camping trip it started out at 54f (12.2c) and ended up being a humid 31f (-0.555c) and snowy by the next afternoon. Good to see you're going to get to go out soon though. It's always a pain having to wait for thaw to do things you want to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Our ice out trip is scheduled for the 14th. The Park is saying the ice will be out on the 11th, so we left ourselves a little leeway. We won't be travelling far, but we will be sleeping in tents.

The weather network says well have great weather. 14ºC and sun is warm enough for a dip in the lake even if there's still ice floating on it and a couple days are predicted to be 17ºC. The nights are as cold as 6ºC so I'll be taking my -7 bag and layers.
05-08-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to prep the Jeep for this year's camping road trip. The last proper trip was to the Pyrenees in 2016, followed by a very brief weekend trip to Yorkshire last year. This year in June it's Switzerland and the Italian Alps, via the France for the Grand Prix. Can't wait!

Pyrenees 2016

Yorkshire last November

The last few weekends have been spent refitting the camp kitchen setup to add a proper fridge for next months trip.