Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 06:26 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

An Old Dog's Gotta' Learn a New Trick.

Last Monday, I lost my loyal and faithful companion of 16 years, Buckwheat. Of all the dogs who have owned me in my lifetime, he was the pinnacle. His mother was a registered Scottish Terrier and his father was a very clever registered Jack Russell who was extremely skilled at making his way into the enclosure where the vivacious, alluring Scottie was waiting!

An odd combination, to be sure! We used to tease him, saying he looked like a cross between a mule and an aardvark. He was so remarkably smart. So well-behaved. All the little neighborhood kids are going to miss him a great deal. Their familiar knock will be missed. They would come to my door in groups, asking "Can Buckwheat come out and play?" I'd always say, "Sure, kids.... just let him back in when ya'll get through playing."

His passing wasn't unexpected. He had lost a lot of weight, had lost his appetite, wouldn't drink anything and just wandered around, staring at the floor. Sometime in the night, he made his way outside and into his dog house in the garage and passed over the Rainbow Bridge quietly in the night.

He had lived a long, adventurous life..... a genuine mountain dog, chasing elk and deer and catching a skunk once in a while! Loved to ride in his milk crate on my ATV. He loved to hang his nose out my pickup window as we went for drives out in the country.

You form a lot of habits over 16 years. This morning, before putting on my pot of coffee, I went to the back door with a doggie biscuit, just like I've been doing for 16 years.

Attached Images

04-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Sounds like you both had a good life together. I'm sure he will be greatly missed by many.
04-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m very sorry for the loss. Here’s to the good times, may they stay with you always.
04-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear of the loss of your buddy.

In the '70's a woman who owned a dog clipping business asked me if I would give a dog a home. He was about 2 1/2 years old, 7.5 lbs and looked to be a cross between a terrier and a poodle. He had been dropped off at a Vet and no one wanted him. I said yup, no problem, I'll take the dog.

I had a number of dogs before, but never a dog like him. He lived till he was about 15 1/2 when he passed away. He was a wonderful little dog, I couldn't ask for a better, more loyal companion. Smart, independent...quite courageous for a little thing and he was inadvertently funny. He had many hilarious happenings and misadventures and was an original character. His name was Willy.

He died December in 1987 and I will always miss the little curmudgeon. They do become wonderful members of the family.

04-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Condolences to you Dewey.Sounds like you had some great times together.
04-13-2018, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My condolences. I still miss my best friend through 10 important years of my life. Some of the habits formed stuck with me for a long time - like swinging my legs well out from the bed-side when getting up in the morning to avoid stepping on my faithful friend

Cherish the good memories!
04-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So Sorry Dewman. I'm sure you gave Buckwheat a great life.
That's a fine picture to remember him.

04-13-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It can be tough. Our Dreamer lived to be 17, every now and then when I'm counting the dogs on our bush walks to make sure we haven't left anyone behind, I still find myself looking for him, and sometimes I think I've just seen him off in the bushes somewhere. He's gone, but not entirely. Keep your eyes open. I'm sure you'll see him around.
04-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

You made me cry. I feel your pain.
04-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All,

I know how you must feel as I Have had quite a few dogs in my time, some working, and some pets. The last two that I remember most fondly were both Dobermans. A very miss understood dog in that they were both very friendly when introduced to them. I will never forget either of them lying across the 3/4 bench seat in my Nissan Patrol with their head on my lap as I drove, looking up every now and then for a pat or just a caress!

Regards.
04-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All dog lovers understand.
They're not with us long, but they give so much.
04-14-2018, 02:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The small terriers are very tough and clever little dogs, but that unusual combination would make for an extra special dog - I'm sure he'll be sorely missed even as you feel thankful for him having been your dog.