Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr, privacy and Yahoo email scanning for ads

I came across a recent article that Yahoo mail users might be interested in reading: PSA To Yahoo Users: Your Emails Can Be Scanned For Targeted Advertising | Gizmodo Australia I read this article and I'm not interested in my emails being scanned by some commercial entity so they can target me for ads. YMMV of course.

I decided to start the thread as when I joined Flickr back in 2008 I had to establish a Yahoo mail account. I don't know if this requirement still applies, but I assume it does. As such and as I see many more forum members are on Flickr these days, I thought several people around here would be interested in this change and what I found in opting out.

The article linked referenced a method of opting out so I went to do this but found it wasn't that obvious to start with. It's probably been made deliberately less obvious so in the interest of time savings here's directions on where you can choose to opt out in Yahoo mail. NOTE: Initially I logged into my account and found nothing to change under 'account info'. Instead to make the changes you need to:
  1. Go to your Yahoo mail inbox and look for the 'settings' icon (it's on the right of my screen with the gear wheel).
  2. Once here go to 'more settings'.
  3. Once this opens up there's a menu on the left at the top of the page but what you want is 'About our ads' in the bottom left menu list.
  4. Click on this and assuming your host is the same as mine you should get a page titled 'Why this ad? | Oath Policies'.
  5. You can read the overviews here and look for the heading 'What choices do I have?' and underneath that the hyperlink titled 'Manage' in the first sub paragraph. Click on that link.
  6. This should get you to the page where you can opt out of the email scanning for targeted ads under 'Your advertising choices'.
  7. There are two parts to this and you need to consider opting out of none, one or both. There's two tabs and I opted out of both. The tabs are titled 'Across the web' and 'On Yahoo'.
  8. There's further info worth reading via the hyperlink next to the 'Opt out' radio buttons called "learn more'. If you think you'd be okay with having your emails scanned for ad purposes but are not too sure follow this link to read the info there as it's well structured and should allow you to make a more informed decision on this change to the Yahoo privacy settings.
This community information bulletin was brought to you by....irony, that feeling you get when you turn up at a party with the only pressed shirt.

Tas

04-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Recently got flickr mail that flickr is changing hands soon. Wondering why no thread about this has surfaced. Also just got today a request when i logged on flickr on my phone to forego my password in some way. It sounded fishy. I chose the not now option.
04-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't had a flickr mail since December (That was about "Your Best Shot 2017" group being open. AFAIK flickr is still owned by Verizon (who bought Yahoo)...that deal was finalized last June.
04-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I haven't had a flickr mail since December (That was about "Your Best Shot 2017" group being open. AFAIK flickr is still owned by Verizon (who bought Yahoo)...that deal was finalized last June.
I didn't go in and check Flickr mail, before my post but having looked now I just get sent back to Yahoo mail. As far as I know Flickr mail is just internal but it could be covered by this.

He's one of the paragraphs from the link about Verizon:

If you use Yahoo or AOL for email, you should be aware that a recent change in the privacy policy of Oath - the umbrella company that controls both services - now allows your emails to be scanned and the information used for targeted advertising.

Earlier this week, Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, quietly tweaked its policies to expand its ability to serve up targeted ads. The change, spotted by Jason Kint of Digital Content Next, was confirmed by Oath to CNET.

Tas

04-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not know who started it but long ago I came to know about targeted ads.(based on email content) in the context of Gmail. I think others learned it from Google. Google also made it easy to conceal the ADS. like land-mines. If you click on wrong button, you may end up with virus.

I think Hotmail.com also does targeted ads. I had purchased SHELF 7-8 years ago. Those emails are in hotmail.com. Yesterday I read those emails. Afterwards I started seeing Shelf ads. all over. I ignore these because these services(hotmail.com) are free.

I do not own smart-phone, never had FB account.
04-17-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just went to access my Yahoo mail and I was redirected to a different webpage titled: 'New Privacy and Terms'. It gave me two options, these being:

'I accept' or 'I'll do this later'.

To think positively this is an intent to make sure the privacy changes are sufficiently transparent, or they don't like me opting out of what they want to do as a commercial entity.

It feels like a person in charge just turned up in the workplace with a bottle of lube and a bag full of pineapples. No matter the intent, it's still likely to hurt.

Tas
04-17-2018, 03:59 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I just went to access my Yahoo mail and I was redirected to a different webpage titled: 'New Privacy and Terms'. It gave me two options, these being:

'I accept' or 'I'll do this later'.

To think positively this is an intent to make sure the privacy changes are sufficiently transparent, or they don't like me opting out of what they want to do as a commercial entity.

It feels like a person in charge just turned up in the workplace with a bottle of lube and a bag full of pineapples. No matter the intent, it's still likely to hurt.

Tas
''

All duly noted, Tas ... how do you feel about your phone?

04-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Heres the thread i had been surprised wasn't here yet. It has arrived. SmugMug Swallows Flickr - PentaxForums.com
04-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Heres the thread i had been surprised wasn't here yet. It has arrived. SmugMug Swallows Flickr - PentaxForums.com
Yes I've posted in that thread too and I do not for a moment believe it was coincidence that Oath changed the rules for Yahoo mail and use of personal information just prior to the announcement of the Smug Mug acquisition of Flickr.

And if you read the Smug Mug T's and C's there's a clear statement that they have 'no control over the use of personal information/emails that existed prior to the Flickr acquisition' or words to that effect.

Anyone not paying attention to this will continue to be owned by Oath/Verizon as they have given themselves permission to scrape/read emails and use your internet browsing for targeted advertising. If you're fine with that no worries, but for me I chose to opt out.

And whilst I maintain my Flickr account I also plan to monitor the need for a Yahoo account for this. I expect it will change in the future and I fully expect that the Oath/Verizon T's & C's will again change for another attempt at a data grab before those on Flickr get to purge themselves of a Yahoo account.

Tas