Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The seller should just decide on what amount they want to "clear" regardless of PayPal fees and set their price accordingly. When I sell something, I usually include shipping and factor that into the price, as well. In the end, I think the seller is just trying to make the price look better than it really is. At the same time, we are used to this. When you go to the store and buy an item, the price that is listed doesn't include sales tax and when you go to check out, you can't complain that the price is higher than the listed one. As long as the end price is understood, I suppose it doesn't matter how you arrive there.

04-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The seller should just decide on what amount they want to "clear" regardless of PayPal fees and set their price accordingly. When I sell something, I usually include shipping and factor that into the price, as well. In the end, I think the seller is just trying to make the price look better than it really is. At the same time, we are used to this. When you go to the store and buy an item, the price that is listed doesn't include sales tax and when you go to check out, you can't complain that the price is higher than the listed one. As long as the end price is understood, I suppose it doesn't matter how you arrive there.
100% true here in the US. Here though is the thing most people don't know. If you use a credit card at the store to pay for what you are buying, the store gets charged a fee by the company that owns the credit card machine you put your card in.

That is the same idea that paypal is set on. The seller pays the fee to use the service. It is up to the seller to decide if he/she eats the fee or pass some or all of the fee onto the buyer.
04-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
100% true here in the US. Here though is the thing most people don't know. If you use a credit card at the store to pay for what you are buying, the store gets charged a fee by the company that owns the credit card machine you put your card in.

That is the same idea that paypal is set on. The seller pays the fee to use the service. It is up to the seller to decide if he/she eats the fee or pass some or all of the fee onto the buyer.

But there is a big difference in the scenarios we are discussing.

If a seller is selling online and using PayPal as their settlement service they know they will be hit for those fees at the time when they are pricing the goods. They should add the fees so they clear the amount they want to clear. And if they object to the PayPal fee either choose a different settlement service, get out the business, or print receipts with the PayPal fee itemised in huge print with rude words about the exploitiveness of PayPal.

If a seller is selling to a f2f customer other methods of payment are available, such a government issued legal tender, where the fees do not apply. In this case it is not unreasonable to have a 'cash price' and a surcharge for using a card, so long as the surcharge is clear tot he buyer BEFORE the transaction happens, so a buyer can make an informed choice about cash or card.