Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PayPal Fees

I'm not all that well read on the PayPal sellers terms and conditions but aren't the sellers not supposed to charge the buyers the sellers fee? Aren't the sellers supposed to eat the fee (or charge it as a "handling and processing" fee)? Or am I just understanding the TACs wrong?

04-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm not all that well read on the PayPal sellers terms and conditions but aren't the sellers not supposed to charge the buyers the sellers fee? Aren't the sellers supposed to eat the fee (or charge it as a "handling and processing" fee)? Or am I just understanding the TACs wrong?
I can't make comment on your query, but if you weren't aware the Paypal fees were just raised effective April. A Google for 'PayPal fee changes' will find a fair bit of news around this, here's one that has some info on it: PayPal sneakily hikes prices and legally prevents sellers from criticising its service | The Independent

Tas
04-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sellers aren't support to ask buyers to pay any additional fees, that's correct. But if you're doing a private transaction, it's more of a guideline than an enforceable rule.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah. Some sellers don't want to have to pay for the service that Paypal provides.

I never could figure that out. Paypal fees are just part of doing business. I will not purchase from someone who asks me to lie and send them the money "as a friend."

04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I can't make comment on your query, but if you weren't aware the Paypal fees were just raised effective April. A Google for 'PayPal fee changes' will find a fair bit of news around this, here's one that has some info on it: PayPal sneakily hikes prices and legally prevents sellers from criticising its service | The Independent

Tas

It’s crazy sellers can’t criticize service. Geez.

04-26-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Yeah. Some sellers don't want to have to pay for the service that Paypal provides.

I never could figure that out. Paypal fees are just part of doing business. I will not purchase from someone who asks me to lie and send them the money "as a friend."
Same here.

These are subtly different issues, though. Asking to be paid via PayPal "gift" payment is against the forum rules. Specifically asking someone to pay PayPal fees on top of the asking price, via a regular non-gift payment, isn't against the forum rules - but it's against PayPal's.
04-26-2018, 05:37 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Same here.

These are subtly different issues, though. Asking to be paid via PayPal "gift" payment is against the forum rules. Specifically asking someone to pay PayPal fees on top of the asking price, via a regular non-gift payment, isn't against the forum rules - but it's against PayPal's.
I truly do not understand the difference between asking $104.45 and asking $100 + PayPal fees ($4.45). But when I see the line “Buyer pays PayPal fee” I skip the item.

04-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote

Tas
No, I did not know that PayPal increased the fees. To be honest, I only do a little selling through PayPal but I never even bother with fees. I ask that the buyer pays by Goods and Services and leave it at that. If PayPal wants to take out a small fee, fine. It's just what has to happen and I couldn't be bothered to calculate the fees and then find the few people who will pay them.

When buying, I would certainly pay shipping, that's a given, but I would prefer to not pay the sellers fees that the sellers are supposed to be paying.
04-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When buying, I would certainly pay shipping, that's a given, but I would prefer to not pay the sellers fees that the sellers are supposed to be paying.
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Tas
04-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I truly do not understand the difference between asking $104.45 and asking $100 + PayPal fees ($4.45). But when I see the line “Buyer pays PayPal fee” I skip the item.
I always assume this practice is intended to not make the price appear higher than necessary. Also, there may be a possibility for an in-person transaction, in which case separating the PP fee makes sense.

---------- Post added 28-04-18 at 21:06 ----------

I would prefer to not pay the sellers fees that the sellers are supposed to be paying
Whether the PP fee is shown separately or is included in the price, it's the same in the end.
04-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, no, the price is not the same. If a person is asking $100 for an item and adding a separate $4 PayPal fee, the price has increased by $4. If the same person is selling the same item for $104 including PayPal fees, that item is still $100, yes, but the price has still increased by $4 over and above the price of the actual item. So the buyer is paying for (1) the item being sold and (2) the $4 PayPal seller's fee. But the buyer doesn't receive an item or service for that extra $4 that they have spent. Now if the same seller is selling the same item for $100 and they eat the fees (like they're supposed to), the buyer doesn't pay any extra just to cover the sellers fees, they pay the actual, item price and the seller still pockets $96.
04-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, no, the price is not the same. If a person is asking $100 for an item and adding a separate $4 PayPal fee, the price has increased by $4. If the same person is selling the same item for $104 including PayPal fees, that item is still $100, yes, but the price has still increased by $4 over and above the price of the actual item. So the buyer is paying for (1) the item being sold and (2) the $4 PayPal seller's fee. But the buyer doesn't receive an item or service for that extra $4 that they have spent. Now if the same seller is selling the same item for $100 and they eat the fees (like they're supposed to), the buyer doesn't pay any extra just to cover the sellers fees, they pay the actual, item price and the seller still pockets $96.
Really, the seller should just list the item at $104 and not even mention PayPal fees. $104 is the price advertised, and the price upon which the prospective buyer makes their decision to buy or pass. The question then is, if you'd happily pay $100 for an item, would you still buy that item for $104? Psychology of pricing aside, I think most of us would (I know I wouldn't lose an item for the sake of 4% difference)...
04-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

In many jurisdictions the principle that one can have a price and then add on compulsory extras to the price is considered desirable.

I much prefer the Australian way, where by law a seller must display the real price (includes all compulsory add-ons, such as tax and transaction fees) so the buyer sees what they need to pay to get the stuff. The only exceptions to that which I experienced there were airline tickets where, for example Jetstar charged a surcharge for using a credit card (permitted if the vendor is upfront about it) but did not give any alternative for a buyer so it was effectively an add-on to the price) and all the airlines advertise 'fares' and then add on things like taxes. Why not be honest and give the price to get the goods or services up-front.

Shops are allowed to display the cash price and then charge extra for using a credit card (adding the actual additional cost) so long as they display signs to say they do.

I bypass the sort of sellers who add on the costs rather than just include the costs in the price because those who include tell me what I am paying, the others seem to show they were too lazy to work out the total set of costs for themselves and then might find extra fees.

I also found may sellers on eBay in US would charge extortionate P&P prices, for example double the postage stamps on the parcel, which seems another hidden way of adding tot he price. They know their costs of handling when deciding to sell by mail order on eBay, and it they got a customer wanting to visit for a pay and carry sale they could give a discount for that, and it would hardly ever happen.
04-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I will not purchase from someone who asks me to lie and send them the money "as a friend."
PayPal will suspend the sellers account if they find out this is going on.
04-29-2018, 01:36 AM   #15
bxf
Veteran Member

if the same seller is selling the same item for $100...
If the seller wants $100 for the item, then he/she will ask for $104 (inclusive of PP), not $100. If the price is shown as $100 total, then the seller is expecting to pocket $96, not $100, so $96 would be the indicated price if PP fees were charged separately.