Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It seems to me holding the vehicle still by releasing the clutch to the "friction point" would cause premature wear, just like "riding the clutch"...

Chris
It would if you did it a long time, but the idea is to do it all smoothly and quickly, ideally releasing the e-brake right at the moment you start getting forward motion. (It's not as if rolling backwards while you get that transmission engaged is any easier on the friction surfaces than if you took a hair too long with the e-brake doing something. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
05-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It seems to me holding the vehicle still by releasing the clutch to the "friction point" would cause premature wear, just like "riding the clutch"...

Chris
Especially with non asbestos clutch plates in cars now. I had a Daihatsu that had a 5.5 inch clutch disc that the friction material was perhaps 3/4 of an inch wide, so not a lot of grip if you dumped it!
05-08-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I learned how to do the starting on a steep incline ..using hand (emergency) brake, clutch and gas...out of a need to avoid crashing into the vehicle behind me...on a slope. My first car, a '61 VW Beetle was my vehicle at the time.

Studebaker actually had a device called a 'hill holder' that accomplished this process. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact...iYQgzQwd8WioUf

Way back around 1971, I was a university student who also drove a variety of commercial trucks for a company I worked for. The company was very generous and allowed me to take different trucks home for the night and I would drive them to U., than work, immediately after classes.

One early morning, my mother and a neighbour lady were waiting at a bus stop, late to work as there had been a snow storm that previous night and traffic was badly delayed in the city. I asked them to hop inside the truck and I would get them to work. Unfortuanelty the truck I was driving at the time, was a large commercial van...it had just the driver's seat and no where to sit, except for a couple of upended wooden boxes...and two inner wheel wells over the rear axle's wheels/tires.

The ride was uneventful, until I was stuck on an underpass incline..on an icy, snow covered road. The truck had a manual transmission and an on/off lever actuated emergency brake...the brake lever was on the left side of the cab.

Traffic started to move and I let out the clutch..the truck couldn't get traction and started to slowly slide backwards...I could see a late '60's Rambler in my side mirror...panicking with his front wheels crossed...wondering if my heavier truck was going to slide slowly into him. He was at the bottom of the hill about 15 feet behind the rear of the truck.

I hit the brakes to hold the truck..directed my mom and her friend to choose one wheel well each and sit on it...'for traction'... I yelled. They started laughing at the thought of them being regarded as mobile traction and promptly sat on top of the inner wheel well of their 'choice'.

I put the truck in 2nd gear...slipped the clutch a bit...slammed the emergency brake on and off...and the truck started to get traction...think the effect was to give the truck...sort of a locking axle...using the emergency brake and slipping the clutch. Whatever it did..it worked..yeah the axle hopped a bit, but the truck got traction and mom and her buddy got to work...no worse for wear.
05-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Chris

Absolutely.

The only time one should be touching the clutch pedal is when shifting, or to engage the transmission before starting to move. Same for the shift lever. Only place one's hand on it when shifting.

Resting a toe on the pedal will cause slipping of the clutch, and premature wear.

Resting a hand on the shift lever places undue pressure on the shift fork in the transmission, again causing premature wear and risking breakage of the fork and shifting linkage.

Neither the pedal or the shift lever are places to rest a toe or hand.

05-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Biker rather than cars - my first was a horrible Honda PC50 moped which had a slightly twisted frame amongst other problems. At that time (late 70s) you could ride any bike up to I think 125cc with no formal training at all, you just needed a provisional license. So I practiced on a tarmac football pitch next to work a couple of times, then drove it home - two days after London had a foot of snow, with icy patches on the road etc. I think I managed to lose control and drop the bike about six times in the three mile ride, fortunately I'd actually bought gloves and a crash helmet (which wasn't a legal requirement then) and was driving fairly slowly and didn't actually get my idiot self killed.

I retired in 2013 and gave up biking a year or so later - mostly because my sight in one eye is giving problems and my reflexes are slowing a bit, and those are not good traits in a biker. At that point I was riding an old BMW R80, a lovely bike that I really miss, but it was costing me £500+ a year in taxes, insurance, parking fees etc. even if I didn't ride it much, and that's just not on for a pensioner.
05-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My early experiences were similar to yours Marcus.My first ride was an NVT Easyrider moped (as far removed from the Peter Fonda film as you could get!).I passed my motorbike test on a subsequently purchased Honda CB100 but that's as far as my biking experience went.I still hold a full bike licence meaning that if I wanted to end my days in quick and spectacular fashion I could take up something like your BMW!

The NVT:

https://goo.gl/images/EcgnSd

Honda CB 100:

https://goo.gl/images/e6LtBg

Last edited by timb64; 05-10-2018 at 04:20 PM.
05-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first driving experiences were in a boat as my summers were spent at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Dad had a 15 foot Lyman with an Evinrude 25 hp outboard on the transom (as big as you buy at the time).

On land, I learned to drive on an ugly green 1952 Packard 200 – the base model. This thing had absolutely no extras at all, save overdrive. Straight 8 engine. No radio. No automatic transmission. No power steering or brakes. No nothing. It was big. It was ugly. It was a brute to drive. I thought it was the biggest car in the world, but it was actually 10 inches shorter than my GMC Yukon XL. Anyway, it was a hell of a car for learning to drive – if you could drive that Packard, you could drive anything.

Going from the ridiculous to the sublime, dad's next car was a 1957 Chrysler with all the bells and whistles, including the world's biggest tail fins. Yeah, I got a speeding ticket coming home from the junior prom with my date.

05-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go wash your mouth out Don! A Packard (even a base model) is not ugly! LOL
Sounds like the Chrysler was a big step up.
05-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Go wash your mouth out Don! A Packard (even a base model) is not ugly! LOL
Sounds like the Chrysler was a big step up.
Ha! Ha!

When I was a mere 16 year old lad you can bet a Packard was ugly. And definitely NOT a chick magnet! No radio made it even worse.

But if you want real ugly, look to the 1948 - 1950 Packards which had all the grace (and looks) of turtles.

The Chrysler was a two-tone pink that my mom referred to as "peaches and cream." It rocked!

Don
05-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Ha! Ha!

When I was a mere 16 year old lad you can bet a Packard was ugly. And definitely NOT a chick magnet! No radio made it even worse.

But if you want real ugly, look to the 1948 - 1950 Packards which had all the grace (and looks) of turtles.

The Chrysler was a two-tone pink that my mom referred to as "peaches and cream." It rocked!

Don
Ha yes! The '48 streamlined turtle look. Very popular post-war, for whatever reason.
05-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ha yes! The '48 streamlined turtle look. Very popular post-war, for whatever reason.
The reason was the war. Auto production everywhere ceased during the early and mid forties. When it restarted, it was with cars from the late 1930's. The first set of redesigns (late 40s) were essentially new sheet metal on old cars. In the U.S. the new stuff came about in 1949 and 1950. For Packard it was 1951.
05-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The grille alone on a 1952 Packard 200 weighed more than most cars on the road today.

05-15-2018, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The grille alone on a 1952 Packard 200 weighed more than most cars on the road today.
And my 5'0" mom drove this monstrosity – ya just didn't mess with mom.
05-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
My first driving experiences were in a boat as my summers were spent at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Dad had a 15 foot Lyman with an Evinrude 25 hp outboard on the transom (as big as you buy at the time).

On land, I learned to drive on an ugly green 1952 Packard 200 – the base model. This thing had absolutely no extras at all, save overdrive. Straight 8 engine. No radio. No automatic transmission. No power steering or brakes. No nothing. It was big. It was ugly. It was a brute to drive. I thought it was the biggest car in the world, but it was actually 10 inches shorter than my GMC Yukon XL. Anyway, it was a hell of a car for learning to drive – if you could drive that Packard, you could drive anything.

Going from the ridiculous to the sublime, dad's next car was a 1957 Chrysler with all the bells and whistles, including the world's biggest tail fins. Yeah, I got a speeding ticket coming home from the junior prom with my date.
A Packard is quite a car, huge as you say.

I learned to drive on a full sized '61 Ford, inline six, 3 on the tree standard transmission, non power steering...about 3700 lbs. Parallel parking was not great. They used to call these old domestic cars 'Detroit Iron'...and after I first drove the big Ford...I understood how that name came about.

BTW, what model of '57 Chrysler did your parents have ? If memory serves me Chrysler was still using the first generation Hemi V8 in most of their Chrysler line. A lot of punch power wise, I would imagine.
05-16-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
BTW, what model of '57 Chrysler did your parents have ? If memory serves me Chrysler was still using the first generation Hemi V8 in most of their Chrysler line. A lot of punch power wise, I would imagine.
It was a Windsor which I believe was the lesser of Chrysler models. It was a V-8 and it could haul, but it was not the Hemi.

Two years later my dad, in what might have been his mid-life crisis, bought a Triumph TR-3. I was in tall cotton with that car. I got involved with a local sports car club and did rallies and gymkhanas. And in college I courted my wife in the TR.