Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
It was a Windsor which I believe was the lesser of Chrysler models. It was a V-8 and it could haul, but it was not the Hemi.

Two years later my dad, in what might have been his mid-life crisis, bought a Triumph TR-3. I was in tall cotton with that car. I got involved with a local sports car club and did rallies and gymkhanas. And in college I courted my wife in the TR.
I checked out the engine that the '57 Chrysler Windsor had. It was a 2 barrel carburetor, 354 cubic inch V8.

Interesting engine, in that the block, crank, etc...was the same that the first generation Hemi used, but as you indicated it wasn't a hemi. It had different heads which were poly-spherical rather than hemi- spherical.

Three hundred and fifty four cubic inches is a big engine and the '57 Windsor version put out a healthy amount of horsepower...285, which would of moved that Windsor along quite well.

Our neighbour had a '56 Windsor. I remember him as he had a grandson, my age, who I would play with when he was over visiting. In their rec room the neighbour had a polar bear hide, used as a rug. In the northern part of the province I live in, the polar bear is quite common. This was a long time ago, in the 1950's .

I remember the Triumph TR -3. What a sharp looking English sportscar especially with those downward sloping doors. When I was a junior high student, one of the science/math teachers had a TR-3. I recall getting a very close look at the TR's wonderful styling one afternoon...while pushing him out of a snow drift.

05-17-2018, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I loved that TR-3. It could scat. But the real reason I loved it was that it opened up a whole new world to me the world of rallies and gymkhanas.

Two interesting memories:
At a gymkhana (essentially a driver's test against the clock) there was a speed event where the hay bales were set up in the shape of an "F." A fellow driving a Saab went down the long leg constantly accelerating. There was no way he could make the 90 degree turn. Then suddenly the rear wheels stopped, the front wheels turned and he was heading down the top of the F. He had simply yanked on the handbrake and kept the accelerator down. It was my introduction to Front Wheel Drive.

My brother and I were on an all-night rally in the Pocono Mountains in January with snow on the roads. We were behind a Jaguar XKE that was really hustling down the road. My brother, who was driving, mentioned several times how great the XKE was handling the snow-covered mountain roads. It suddenly dawned on me that as great as the Jag was going, it had not gained an inch on us. The TR-3 was handling the roads just as well! (BTW, are we like that with cameras also?)
Great memories of times past. Now I drive a sedate, but very comfortable, Yukon with a Chevy Captiva for a second car. Time marches on.