Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

First driving experiences....what vehicles, who with, interesting stories..

First car I drove was my parent's '61 Chevy Nomad station wagon, when I was 12 years old. My dad sat next to me and coached me as I slowly piloted the big Chevy wagon around a car less perimeter dirt/gravel road. There was no one around, except for dad and me. I still recall the experience and I was pretty excited. Didn't go past an 'idle' speed...about 3-5 mph.

I got my drivers license in 1965, driving a '61 full size Ford 4 door sedan. The big Ford had a manual 3 on the tree transmission, 223 cubic inch inline six cylinder engine, manual steering and manual brakes.

Parallel parking with manual steering and transmission...clutch work...in a 4000 lb. car was a challenge for a new driver.

Back then, in my province, you got either a manual license, with which you could drive anything...truck, car, automatic, manual transmission, motorcycle...or you had an automatic license, which meant you could only drive a car with an automatic.

I got the standard license...which meant I could drive my first vehicle, a '65 Jawa 50cc motor scooter...with it's 3 speed manual gearbox. I recall having difficulty at first coordinating throttle, clutch, revs...and giving the bike too much gas, dumping the clutch and having the bike wheelie...just when my family was watching me ...try riding one of the first times. Was I an embarrassed 16 year old...fortunately I got the little bike under control quickly and no one laughed...well...my sister...snickered...

04-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was taught at 9 on North Rocks Road (Australia). an apprentice that worked with my father had purchased a brand new Mazda and he let me start with the gears then clutch and gears then steering clutch and gears this was the first 2-3 afternoons in a week. He then let me sit in the drivers seat and do the steering brake and accelerator that was pretty quick as I had watched him with the accelerator and brake on the earlier days and by the friday I was in full control o his brand new mazda. I had my l plates for one day and passed my driving test the first time and to this day I have never injured anyone.
04-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The first time I "drove" I was around 8 years old and was left in my fathers car in the back seat for a few minutes, parked in a residential street. It was on a moderate incline and the car started to roll forwards. I climbed into the front, and wedging myself in the driver's footwell I put my foot on the brake and stopped it. My father (or someone inside) had seen it roll and he came running out to take over. I could not understand why I was treated as some kind of hero afterwards. My father never did have the habit of leaving his car in gear when parked.
04-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first experience, I was 6 or 7. I drove my grandfather’s old Case tractor while he stood beside me. That thing was huge with dual rear wheels and was used for plowing fields, especially to a kid that age. Two years later I was driving a two and a half ton old Ford dump truck back and forth from the fields hauling silage (fresh cut alfalfa for feed). I would have to scoot down to press the clutch and couldn’t see out the windshield when I did.

Good times!

04-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My neice and son 3year olds were playing on a fergy tractor when they accidently hit the start button through the caravan park they went somehow avoiding everything except the tennis court luckly the fence stopped them.
04-28-2018, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I learnt to drive the forklift at my dad's work. After I could manage the forklift well, I graduated up to the 10 ton truck. That was a Mitsubishi of some description, can't remember the model. After that, my dad figured I was OK to drive his 5-series BMtroubleU.

Then, I went to the army and they needed drivers, so I learnt to drive most everything they had - other than tanks. Anything from old Bedfords and Landrovers to modern, 10-12 ton trucks, armoured and not.

My first car was a 1957 Ford Custom 300 Fordor sedan with "three on the tree", no syncromesh on first or reverse and a 272 V8. After that I bought another (rough) '57 as spares for the other '57. My wife rolled her eyes when I bought a '57 Ranchero. At some point, I bought a Ford F100 with a 351 Windsor V8. Was a great daily driver. Sold it and paid for my year in the USA. There I bought the only car that I have ever owned that was not a Ford: An Oldsmobile. (Hey, it was cheap!)

As for motoring stories, I have many: From driving the oldest car in South Africa, a 1902 Benz, to meeting and driving with Stirling Moss. Fast driving tales of Lamborghinis, Indy Pace Cars and other interesting cars.
04-28-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember driving the first vehicle I was going to buy ( as opposed to inheriting one )

pulled up to a stop sign at the top of a hill so I am on the incline. Vehicle was a Honda Civic FE with manual transmission 5 speed with shifter on the floor and it was the first time I had driven it and I hadn't driven a manual transmission for 5 years.

Oncoming traffic made it impossible to just roll through the stop sign so I had to come to a complete stop

thought to myself that I had no idea of the " friction point " of the clutch so I just reached over and pulled the parking brake lever between the seats and slowly released it as I slowly released the clutch, applied the gas and started up

salesman said that he had never seen anyone do that before and I said, it saved the clutch and prevented rolling back into the vehicle which had pulled up behind us.
04-28-2018, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I remember driving the first vehicle I was going to buy ( as opposed to inheriting one )

pulled up to a stop sign at the top of a hill so I am on the incline. Vehicle was a Honda Civic FE with manual transmission 5 speed with shifter on the floor and it was the first time I had driven it and I hadn't driven a manual transmission for 5 years.

Oncoming traffic made it impossible to just roll through the stop sign so I had to come to a complete stop

thought to myself that I had no idea of the " friction point " of the clutch so I just reached over and pulled the parking brake lever between the seats and slowly released it as I slowly released the clutch, applied the gas and started up

salesman said that he had never seen anyone do that before and I said, it saved the clutch and prevented rolling back into the vehicle which had pulled up behind us.
That's the way we were taught in the UK. It still annoys me now when I see cars sitting in a traffic queue with brake lights on particularly on an incline. 9 times out of 10 they roll back before moving off.

04-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
That's the way we were taught in the UK. It still annoys me now when I see cars sitting in a traffic queue with brake lights on particularly on an incline. 9 times out of 10 they roll back before moving off.
I certainly wasn't taught that trick, at school we drove an automatic transmission vehicle and my dad didn't show me the trick when trying to show me the friction point on the manual transmission Datsun 510 station wagon I had to learn to drive before I could take my test
04-28-2018, 02:52 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's hijack this thread and start talking about cameras
05-05-2018, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The first car I drove was also the first accident I was involved in.

I think I was 4 or 5 years old.

My grandparents on my mother's side had a 1956 Chevy they had purchased new. They had come for a visit, and my sister and I went out and sat in it, me on the driver's side, my little sister next to me. We were pretending to drive. The driveway in front of my parents house sloped down to the street. The car had a manual transmission, column shifted. At some point I released the hand brake, and the car rolled backwards down the driveway, across the street and into the side of a car parked across the way.

Many years later, I was about 12 I think, dad took me out in to a field on a farm we were staying at near Stayton, Oregon, in his 1963 Chevy stepside pickup. It had a 3 on the tree transmission, and a 6 cylinder engine. I learned to drive in that field, and later in the day got to also drive a Massey Ferguson tractor.

Later still, in high school I took driver's education, and they had Plymouth Scamp cars, sporty 2 door cars with automatic transmissions and 310 cubic inch V-8 engines. These were the first cars I drove with automatics.

When I took my driver's test to get my license it was in my parent's 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook, which had a 3 on the tree transmission and a flathead 6 cylinder engine. I failed my first attempt at the skills part of the test, as the DMV tester made me quite nervous. I would forget to return the transmission back to first gear after stopping, and during the parallel parking routine I knocked over the posts marking the limits of the 'parking space'. I went back a week or so later with the same car and managed to pass the test and get my license.

I also eventually learned how to parallel park, and operate vehicles with clutches quite well. In fact I no do not own any vehicles with automatic transmissions now.
05-06-2018, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
... I had no idea of the " friction point " of the clutch so I just reached over and pulled the parking brake lever between the seats and slowly released it as I slowly released the clutch, applied the gas and started up .... salesman said that he had never seen anyone do that before
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I was taught that in the UK too. It shocks me that people do anything else, which seems dangerous to me. I thought I was the only one not to have my brake lights on in traffic jams.

Once with a work colleague in a company car we were held for about 5 minutes in a traffic jam. He was in gear with his feet hard on the brake and the clutch, complaining bitterly that his legs were aching. I became seriously worried that his legs would give way and we would lurch into the car ahead, possibly while a pedestrian was crossing in between. When I suggested that he put it in neutral and apply the handbrake, he just looked at me as if I had gone mad.
05-06-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I was taught that in the UK too. It shocks me that people do anything else, which seems dangerous to me. I thought I was the only one not to have my brake lights on in traffic jams.

Once with a work colleague in a company car we were held for about 5 minutes in a traffic jam. He was in gear with his feet hard on the brake and the clutch, complaining bitterly that his legs were aching. I became seriously worried that his legs would give way and we would lurch into the car ahead, possibly while a pedestrian was crossing in between. When I suggested that he put it in neutral and apply the handbrake, he just looked at me as if I had gone mad.

Try operating a big truck sometime. The clutches are better than they were 20 or 30 years ago, but are still fairly stiff. When sitting at long traffic lights I always set the transmission in neutral, and kept an eye on the cross traffic light. When it was about to change I depressed the clutch, and engaged the shifter into gear.

Also, when rolling along in stop and go traffic, rather than repeated stopping and starting, I would watch traffic, and pace the truck, keeping it rolling. As long as I didn't stop, I never touched the clutch pedal. Truck transmissions do not have synchronizers, but rather straight cut gears, so the clutch isn't needed while shifting up and down, only when stopping and starting.

As for using the parking brake on a hill, I preferred not to, as it may take a moment for the air brakes to release. Instead, I use the heel/toe technique, with my right foot operating both the brake and accelerator.

Easy.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-06-2018 at 05:31 PM.
05-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Let's hijack this thread and start talking about cameras
Nope.
05-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me holding the vehicle still by releasing the clutch to the "friction point" would cause premature wear, just like "riding the clutch"...

Chris