Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My first Ziess piece...

EDIT: i know i spelled Zeiss wrong in my title..

Those of you that followed the Zeiss 18mm F3.5 thread awhile back may have gotten then feeling that i'm anti zeiss, which is not true, i'm simply anti-hype and anti-brand, atleast to the point where the sole reason for the purchase of something is based off the name not any concrete tests..

anyway, i came back from Russia yesterday with something that belonged to my great-grand-father who was a russian officer during the war and made it as far as Berlin..

he also brought back a couple of things, one of which, which is now in my posession, is this little trinket..

the Box Tengor!

Box Tengor - Camerapedia.org

amazingly it had FILM in it!!

the shutter works, the apertures moves (altho hardly an aperture in the modern sense of the word) and even has nifty little options like bulb mode and a shutter lock

i cant wait till i grab some 120 film and go out and test this thing..

now if i can only figure out what the shutter speed is.... (cuz there is only ONE..)

09-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Banned

I'm interested in the film that was in it, any chance it can be developed? congrats on the new camera.
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I'm interested in the film that was in it, any chance it can be developed? congrats on the new camera.
i will certainly try and develop it, however there are a number of things that concern me

#1, i honestly think that the film in this camera is from 1940's

#2 the film is not loaded in a cartridge, and is just rolled from one roll on to another that is fixed inside the box (which i took out)

if there are images, i dont think they are entirely exposed due to my error, maybe just the edges?

anyway i will fiddle with it tonight in the dark, but first i need to figure out how the film latching mechanism even works, because again, the two spindles are fixed into the camera... hmmm.
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new OLD camera Goosh,
I'm lookiong forward to seeing some pic's from it.

About the film. If it's 120 it'll have a paper wrapper all along it, which blocks the light.
So as long as you didn't remove it in bright sun you'll be fine.
They still use this loading method.

If it's 220 though they don't have that paper. So you might be hooped.

I was going to PM you asking for you to grab a screwmount wide angle if you saw one cheep. But I forgot to, and you probably didn't have the time anyways

09-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's the advanced "pin-hole" camera, if you have a meter use it to calculate flash output needed from either it's shutter or aperture speed.
09-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Zeiss Ikon BOX-TENGOR instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

That's the Cadillac/Mercedes of box cameras... the lens isn't bad, and it has three apertures I believe, and two speeds - usually around 1/50 and B/T. If you go to flickr you'll see lots of pictures of/by these cameras. I want one and ever since I figured I wanted one, a bunch of online buddies have lucked into one. Now you. Bah.

The manual I linked to should explain how to load/unload film.

Good luck with it, and I hope to see photos soon!

ps. looks like the manual says 1/30 is the shutter speed. Go figure! I suppose that's to go with the slow films of the day. Unlike most box cameras the Box Tengor has three focus zones and three apertures.

Last edited by Nesster; 09-09-2008 at 09:03 AM.
09-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
man those are odd looking cameras.

09-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
man those are odd looking cameras.
thats an understatement, try operating one

the "view finders" are...

well basicaly you have to look into this 1cmX2cm ish convex piece of glass from about 1-2 feet away and compose..

only its really hard because of the inverse nature, moving your hands left shifts the image right

tilting and twisting the camera also has an inverse effect on your compostion,

bascialy, you have to get used to it!

also having the image displayed distorted at the edges doesnt help either....

09-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

find any Pentax compatible lenses on your trip
09-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
find any Pentax compatible lenses on your trip
unfortunately no, i never got a chance to hit up the pawn shops

an adventure like this, in a city like moscow needs to be planned ahead, and i didnt have the time.